Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 273772 times)

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #600 on: December 19, 2009, 10:27:46 AM »
Come check out the newest pictures, a LOT has been done the past 2 weeks!  Forts, ships...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30708145@N02/sets/72157622683227595/ 
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sdcforever

« Reply #601 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:04 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for the new pics.  You're right, a lot has been done in the last two weeks. :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #602 on: December 19, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »
Good grief, I need to write an update! At least a couple of people are still on top of things. Thanks for the update.

Check out the detail on that roof. I like how they've gone to the effort of making it warped. I can't wait to see what they do with the fort.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #603 on: December 20, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »
Now you tell me you were going to go take photos... you could have saved me a trip.  lol
I'll have even more photos from Saturday up later today
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 20, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »
12.19.09 Construction Update
MidwestInfoGuide.COM Version 8.0

SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 02, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »
Did no one go the last week of the season?  If that's the case, I'm disappointed in you SDCfans.  I would have gone and "taken one for the team" but I was in the Bahamas
SWOOSH

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 02, 2010, 07:55:03 PM »
My brother and I went on Sunday the 27th...we misread the time of the park opening and misjudged the time it would take to get out to the park (because there was no traffic) and ended up at the front gate at 11:30 a.m. with a half-hour to spare before the sqare opened...and this in 25-degree weather!

However, the time to kill once we were in let us spend quality time at Eva and Delilah's where I enjoyed a massive helping of bread pudding, which was delicious.  Once we were on the square, I took some time to tell my brother about the episodes of "The Beverly Hillbillies" that were filmed at the park and we reminisced about how great it would be if the Hideaway would make a comeback.  We also walked back out by the Hospitality House to stare at the hole that is Marvel Cave...it amazes me that we walked past it all those years and never gave it a second thought until we went on our first tour this summer.

Once the rest of the park opened we rode FITH three times with no wait and the Flooded Mine three times straight through.  Sadly, my three-year-old daughter's heart was broken when we made our way to the Expo and discovered that it was too cold for even the kids' rides to operate.  We spent a couple of hours roaming the park in relative solitude, trying to steal glances at the new RiverBattle construction and wishing that PowderKeg, Wildfire, and TNT had been open.  We left about 2:30 and then came back about 6:30 to see the lights and go to the last Saloon show of the day.  It was a great day, even if it was freezing...the next 70+ days until the new season are going to go by so slowly!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 02, 2010, 08:32:30 PM »
I woulda gone, but I was (and still am) out of town visiting all my family, who I've not seen since October, including my cousin who was on leave before he (most likely) goes to Afghanistan.

I've already ordered my season pass for 2010, and the coolest thing? Both my stepdad and stepmom turn 50 this year, so they can get the free season pass.

Joy

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 02, 2010, 08:33:35 PM »
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #609 on: January 02, 2010, 10:25:29 PM »
Things in the area should start changing now.  I imagine the fence will come down, and some additions and changes besides the riverblast will be made.  I'd like to see something major happen with the carousel barn.  I realize they have to have a venue for Santa during the Christmas season, but the building has been poorly utilized for years.  I wonder when the new park map will be put online.  Maybe the barn will at least be renamed, but I'd like to see it revisioned.  I want the whole area to be "marked to the twain"!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 03, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »
According to Lisa Rau, the Carousel Barn will remain a "special events" building and will not be converted into anything else to "plus" the area.  The outside of the building will receive some "placemaking" upgrades to tie in with the new theme, but other than that, nothing is going to happen. 

However, with that being said, a small portion of the western part of the building will be utilized as a new retail store for River Blast.  However this will be a very small store and it will only use the far right corner of the building (once you entered it from the rotunda).  According to the site plans, it is just barely larger than the room allocated for the snack stand near the entrance to the Carousel Barn
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 07, 2010, 07:49:54 PM »
It has been great as a "guest" to this site to see the development in this area. I'm happy to finally be able to register as a member. I can tell you, alot has changed at this particular site of the park. I remember the 1977 year when this area was still nothing but woods. I remember when the site was occupied by the shingle saw in the late '70's, and when Tom Sawyer's Landing was here! As an employee, I worked part of the time in 80-81 at the landing as an attendant. (I played Junior Dugan at the diving bell most of the time.) When the landing was new, it had the ballroom, a cable slide, a fireman's pole kids could slide down, and some climbing objects, that was about it. It's all gone now, but the river blast looks like it's gonna be fun! I can hardly wait 'til the park opens for 2010.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 13, 2010, 10:31:39 PM »
ANY UPDATE ON THIS RIDE / REMOVAL OF SPLASH HARBOR & WATERBOGGAN ??? ???
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #613 on: January 13, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »
I think at this point we might have to just wait and see what's there on opening day. Who's going to be there?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 15, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
That area of the park is sure going to look different this season

SWOOSH