Author Topic: 2011 Trip Reviews  (Read 159965 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Trip Reviews
« Reply #555 on: December 16, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »
oh man jmc??!!  what a great idea!!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 16, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »
I made one like a month ago and plopped it on my facebook. I need to see if I can plop it on here....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 16, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »
My husband and I went to the City on Thursday.  We got in the park right at 2:00, so we didn't miss much of the day. Our first impression was just how quiet the park was.  No rushing water anywhere, plus the winter crowds (epically that early in the day) are smaller I assume. It was quite peaceful. The weather was perfect. In the 40s when we got there and dropped all afternoon.  

Our first stop was Wildfire. There was no wait.  Next we went down to FITH. Always a classic. Not much of a wait here. There were two trains running. Next we lined up for Dickens' Christmas Carol for the 3:15 showing.  Waiting wasn't too bad, plus we ran into one of our Professors! Dear Hubby had never seen the show, and I hadn't in years.  It did not disappoint. I'm sad to find out next year will be the last season for it. We picked a good time for it. Many of the actors I remembered from years past. I was surprised to see Tiny Tim played by a boy. DH really enjoyed the show. Afterwards he understood why I wanted to see it so badly.  Next we rode FITH again, this time sitting in the back seat.  It's almost a whole 'nother ride from the back! We took a stroll along the Riverfront.  Lake Silver looks so sad when it's been drained.  We made a stop at the Toy Store and each decorated a sugar cookie. A cookie, icing, and sprinkles for $1 ? Yes please! Who cares if we're 20. :D  

We rode through the Flooded Mine and did Thunderation before getting in line for the train. The train ride is a Christmas classic, but I was a bit disappointed.  I always love hearing the Christmas story. "Grandpa" does a great job at story-telling, and the accompanying lights and music were beautiful. I appreciate the Christian stance the park takes.  It was the rest of the ride that I didn't like.  The sing-along concept is great, but I wasn't a fan of the songs chosen.  Perhaps I'm a bit too grown up, but I wasn't impressed by the lights either. Oh well.

Then we visited the glassblowers, probably our favorite place in the park. It's fascinating anyway, and DH is a chemist, so we spent a very long time in here.  There was almost no one else watching (they have the big door closed--for temperature reasons I'm sure--which I think may have caused people to think they were closed) so we talked for quite a while.  We visited Browns, but I was strong and didn't come home with any candy.  We took what I call the "back-way" behind Mid-town to cut across town. It was very dark by now and the lights and empty back-streets were just beautiful.  We rode Wildfire one last time.  Wow! It was totally dark and so much fun.  Convinced us to try to make it to Moonlight Madness next year. (We had planned to this year, but it was 100* every day that week, and I ended up spending the week with my grandma in Skaggs.)

We finished the night with dinner at Mary's Springhouse. I can't believe in all my years I had never eaten there. The food was pretty good: chicken alfredo for me and chicken Parmesan for DH. We got to listen to the tree-lighting while we ate. We heard our two favorite Christmas songs: Carol of the Bells and my favorite arrangement of Sleigh-ride. We watched the next light-show. Last stop was the Hospitality House so I could get a copy of the Beverly Hillbillies.  We made it to the car right at 8 pm.

The crowd seemed really small. That may be due to the fact that it was a Thursday. Most schools are still in session, and adults are still at work.  But it really was a fantastic trip!
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 16, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »
http://apps.facebook.com/tndcountdown/ is what I used.....dumb doris here doesnt get how to transfer.....

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 17, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »
Made my final trip to SDC on Saturday, 12-16-11 for the Christmas Festival! Four trips this year on my season pass. I did purchase my 2012 season pass before leaving...my plans are to visit EVEN MORE next year. The park really looked great. Christmas Carolers on Main Street did a fine job, saw the tree lighting ceremony, very nice, and caught the tail end of Cajun Connection Christmas. Did a lot of walking around and looking at shops. Enjoyed the wassel, Christmas Holler Shop, and visiting other shops. Did get to visit with a former Junior Dugan who still works on park, Alan Beiswenger was my area manager when I played Junior, he is now in the Security Department as a manager. Had a nice chat and caught up a bit with him. Saw another two former Junior Dugans on TV at the hotel...Terry Sanders as "Terry the Tour Guide" on the Vacation Channel, and Bob Nichols interviewing Branson stars on his TV program on the Vacation Channel, too. Had a chance to meet briefly with Rick Hord, who spends most of his time either at the train or Flooded Mine, caught him at the RR crossing behind the mine. He was my lead man at the Flooded Mine when I moonlighted as a prisoner there. Rode the train, and for the first time saw Grandpa to his Christmas story, and it was very nice. My wife and I enjoyed our trip, just taking our time looking at lights and the weather cooperated. We were glad to go Friday, because as we left town Saturday afternoon, the park was so full they were parking guests in the employee parking lot across from Highway 76. They also parked people at an open field across from the old Wooden Nickel Restaurant at Notch and bussed them back to the park! We heard someone talking Friday night at the park, and she said they expected about 23,000 for Saturday! THAT IS PACKED, my friends! Photos of the SDC Christmas lights at the Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan       
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 17, 2011, 04:42:13 PM »
yay for a packed house! thats awesome!!! Thanks for the pics Jr!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 17, 2011, 06:14:03 PM »
That is busy,, I think the number from black friday was 21,000.   

THATS a bunch of people ya'll!.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 18, 2011, 03:48:22 AM »
Aslo should mention from my trip Friday 12-16-11 I noticed the markers along the RR tracks during my train ride. We shall see what develops.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 18, 2011, 09:00:08 PM »
I had family there Friday night. They parked out at Indian Point and were told there were 24,000 in attendance.  :o
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 19, 2011, 05:00:04 AM »
 :o :o :o

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 19, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »
In excess of 23,000 Saturday.  We arrived about 2:15 (after lunch at Lamberts on the way) and had to park at Stop 7.  Waitaminit!!  Stop 7???  South of the park and on the other side of IP Road.  Grass-and-gravel hill by an eletrical sub-station.  (When we left, we found busses running to "JD" and "The Bank," whatever/wherever they are.)

The park was jammed, busiest I've ever seen it.  The word was they were staying open till 10:30 to accommodate everyone! 

We went with our younger son and an older couple who are friends of ours (our retired Pastor and therefore my wife's ex-boss, to be exact).  We got them in for $15/each and splurged on the Showlover's Pass for Christmas Carol (to save an aging knee in the party).

First place we went to was the Leather shop.  We had to get my son a belt, and Pastor’s wife bought one of the leather coats.  While I was checking out, a fella on a personal (not park) electric cart tried to go up the little hill there and his cart quit, got sideways, and fell over, hitting another guest.  The Citizen at the shop rushed out in the middle of my sale (NO complaints, mind you, but my card was lying out, so I stayed there and couldn’t help).  He called for help, but the gentleman insisted on getting up and leaving before First Aid could arrive.  Several people had to help push him up the hill.  I was gratified to see that there was a procedure in place but a bit concerned to see that the phone number to call wasn’t really handy.  That probably indicates the use of it is rare, which is a good thing!

The Ladies wanted to spend some time in Becca’s, so my son and I took Pastor through GM.  He got a kick out of it.  We hit the Springhouse for some drinks and spent some time at Sullivan’s Mill, where the ladies further depleted the checking accounts ;-)    While there, we ran into Duelist and his delightful family and chatted a few minutes.  We also hit Christmas Hollow, but nobody bought anything there. 

We walked down the Hill and took in the sights heading up toward the Opera House.  We spent a few minutes in a short Showlovers line and were taken directly to the front row.  Packed house; very good show.  NOTE:  the “snow” is heavier in the center, first couple/three rows ;-)  Interacted a fair bit with the actors.

After the show, we couldn’t get back up Hill Street because off the impending parade (one bit of OTC we really have no interest in), so we ducked under the RR bridge and headed along the riverfront, stopping in the Toy Store so my son could buy a classmate a present for their Christmas party.  After that, it was up around the S-curve to the train depot; the end of the line was halfway down the corkscrew, so it was a longer walk than we had anticipated.  The line shrank fast, however.  Two trains, one of three and one of four cars.  One of the conductor’s said they were moving almost 1500 people an hour through there, about 500/cycle!  The ride was its usual fine self, and Grandpa did an exceptional job.  The only pothole of the day was getting on the train, however.  Some people get awfully pushy.  I understand that they want to sit together—I would like to sit with my family, too, but I decided that better approach to take was just to give in and let my wife, son, and friends have a seat while I sat further back.  At least we were in the same car.

After the train, we hit a couple shops on the way back up top, including the candy shop so that I could pick up a special request from my older son (who couldn’t come this weekend).  Then we stopped in at Molly’s for the Holiday Buffet.  It had been a long day for the Citizens there!

A bit of last minute shopping at the HH (my wife was getting something for me, don’t know what yet) and then out the CM—which was nearly impassable because of the crowd.  We had to wait on the east side of the ticket building for our ride to Stop 7 (and JD), the folks going to “The Bank” were actually lined up on the tree line.  Busses and trams pirouetted and dosey-doed to get us all out, and the ride to the lot was shorter (in time) than the one to get us to the gate had been because we didn’t’ have to go ‘round the loop. 

We were all pretty pooped at that point—good thing the hotel (Best Western) was close!  We checked in and got into our rooms to the delightful music of the train whistle (till well past 10).

Two notes about the next day:  we started off by attending Sunday services at Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Kimberling City and were blessed by performances of their Handbell Choir and their Church Coir doing their Christmas Cantata.  If you are looking for a place to worship while there, I can’t recommend this friendly church highly enough (only about 12 minutes from the city).

Pastor’s wife needed to do a bit of serious Christmas clothes shopping, so we went to Tanger before heading home.  Although my wife found a great suit coat for me marked ‘WAY down, I will never again go there a week before Christmas.  What a crowd!

All, in all, a great trip, a marvelous close to the 2011 year at the city.  Can’t wait till Bluegrass and BBQ next year!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 19, 2011, 03:50:26 PM »
Nice report, palallin.  sounds like all went well.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 19, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
What a great time! Thanks for letting us know how your time went, I enjoyed reading it!

Injun Joe

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 19, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
Yeah, that sounds like a great time, despite the crowds.  I remember parking at Stop 7 over across the road and down the hill once.  I can't seem to recollect the circumstances of that visit but I know it was fun (despite the apparent crowds), because it's been a a good day in the City for me every time.  Thanks for the report!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 22, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »
Wanted to relate a humourous incident during our visit to the City last Saturday night.  My son and I sat in the seats for the Giant Swing and after the ride operator told us to put our arms up so he could put the safety bar in place, someone behind us, in a perfect imitation of Randy from the movie "A Christmas Story" said " I can't put my arms down!"  Everyone, including the ride operator, thought that was hilarious.   :D
I'm Your Huckleberry