Author Topic: Is Wikipedia wrong about this?  (Read 3819 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Is Wikipedia wrong about this?
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »

I was reading Wikipedia this AM and came up with this paragraph

cho Hollow Amphitheatre - Is an amphitheatre with seating for 4,000. The amphitheater opened in 1983 as a dinner theatre encouraging guests to stay once Silver Dollar City closed for the day. Featured shows within the amphitheater have included, Harmonies from the Hollow, Echo Hollow Jubilee, Hotrods and Hair-dos, and GAC Country Nights. Each Spring SDC’s Young Christian Youth Rally is held at Echo Hollow. This Rally features ministers, speakers and musical guests like Newsboys, Kutless and Sixpence None the Richer. The amphitheater also hosts nationally known musical artists such as, Gladys Knight, Peter, Paul and Mary, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Ricky Skaggs.

Is this right? I saw Peter Paul and Mary both times and I know about the others but Gladys Knight?  was she really there?
Wow, I cant think of how I missed that and was anyone there?
Seems like a strange fit for SDC.
What do you guys know about this?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Is Wikipedia wrong about this?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
i also did a check on history, since u asked and could not find anything, anywhere.

There a lots of references to Gladys & SDC, But cant find verification. I am going to facebook and see if we can get an answer.

We will see what happens there.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
Got an answer!!!

"" Gladys Knight played one night in Echo Hollow, on May 23, 1999. Thanks!"""

Info per SDC..   

There ya go

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »
I wantaed to see Jerry Crowler back around 1998 there but he died from open heart surgery two months prior.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »
Wow, what a match. SDC and the Midnight Train to Georgia...
I wish SDC would bring back some acts like that. I know they have Rhonda VIncent at B&B but since she is inside and the theater filled each time I was there I have not seen her.  Why they dont use Echo Hollow for her act I do not know.
Do a few standard day shoes and 1 night show in Echo Hollow after the park closes.  In the past they had the larger performers in Echo Hollow and you could get a seat.
Am I not considering something that would prevent that format ?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:16:29 PM by mhguy77 »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »
I would love the chance to see rhonda vincent, i have yet to see the schedule for this year. And yes I would agree with the echo hollow option. too bad that wouldn't work.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
Rhonda Vincent and the Rage will be performing this year during Bluegrass and BBQ May 16 -- 18.  In 2010 the Ozark Mountain Daredevils played in Echo Hollow at night during the 50th anniversary weeked. In the past couple of years the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band has played there as well as Asleep at the Wheel.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »

When I tried to see Rhonda Vincent there was a fleet of buss es, the line was all the way up the hill to the furniture store.   I couldn't help but wonder if it would hurt the " Show Lovers Pass" revenue to use the larger venue for some of the shows.  I cant help but think the pay up passes are evil things.  I don't mind the Disney Fast Pass because it doesn't cost.  If they did that for the shows that would be great, especially the opera house, let people reserve their spot and then fill in the extra seats with stand by.  The Opera house is a real congested mess especially during the Christmas season.
Wish they would work on that.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
we are all in agreement about the congestion at christmas time.. that is a mess at the opera house. Not sure what they can do.

I dont think the reserved seating would work, you would still have people waiting to get in their reserved seats AND people hoping for vacant seats too..

On another note, I was just glad the "taco in the bag" vendor was right there, AND it was not cold that day..So the wait was bearable.