Author Topic: Showboat Article  (Read 2305 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Showboat Article
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:52:26 PM »
As some of you know, from time to time I write freelance pieces on the history and folklore or other topics relating to the Ozarks, and publish in various regional magazines and newspapers. I was able to place a short piece on the new season at Showboat Branson Belle in "Life in the Ozarks," an on-line magazine that I frequently write for. If you would like to see the story, you can go to this address:

www.lifeintheozarks.com

In recent months the publisher has retooled the Website, and anyone who goes to the address has full access to the contents of the magazine with no subscription. I currently have another article on the site about the ghost town of Monte Ne, Arkansas, which is buried below the waters of Beaver Lake. (Unfortunately, there is a glitch with a couple of the photos and captions under them, but the article is ok.) Just click on the tabs...feature stories...traveling the ozarks...and so on to see the various little stories posted on the site.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: Showboat Article
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »
I enjoyed your article on Monte Ne. There's a few (very few) places like that here at Lake of the Ozarks where you can see some foundations of old homes when they lake is drawn down for the spring rains.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:43:59 AM »
If you have access to "The Missouri Chigger" a little monthly publication based in Lowry City, MO, I suggest you pick one up! It is a fun little magazine with ozarks folklore and history, humor pieces, and info about fishing on Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks. It is available for free on many news stands and in racks throughout the lakes areas in west central Missouri. You can find it in bait shops, convinience stores, and grocery stores, and so on.  I write for the Chigger on a regular basis. I do humor pieces, bits on folklore and history, and poetry. Sure hope you like what you see!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:10:31 PM »
I think I've picked that one up before when were at Pomme de Terre. Does Larry Dablemont write for it also?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 08:47:15 AM »
The magazine you are thinking of is called "Lightning Ridge," and it is published by Larry Dabblemont. I have seen copies of the magazine and Dabblemont does a good job with all those old hunting/fishing related stories.