Author Topic: SDC DVD??  (Read 7612 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
SDC DVD??
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:18:29 AM »
Ok folks, forgive me if this might exist and I just dont know it. But I was just thinking it's too bad there isnt a SDC DVD! Something like a touristy type of DVD with a host and lots of footage of the park. Or something like a DVD of SDC overall. The history, evolution, rides, citizens, etc. I know people have cameras and cell phones and millions of ways to capture footage while they are at the park and there might not be a real need for it. But for some of us, who are video camera-less, it would be nice to visit SDC like that. At least, a pro shot SDC DVD could be made to tell what I said above. That would be a nice collector's item!

And if there isn't something like this....Good Grief, does somebody need an invitation!?!?!?!?! :o ??? :o ???
Andymeets1880s

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC DVD??
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 06:39:44 AM »
My brother had a VHS tape of the history of SDC that he bought at the park back in the late 90s. I just talked with him & he dont know where its at, ::) i'm gunna go search his stuff later today, if i find it i will post a pic of it.
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:11:36 AM »
I have a video of SDC, very touristy, released about 1990. Shows an overview of the park, and Danny Eakins, Terry Sanders, and others are featured with little spots in it. I don't have a way to convert to DVD. In the early to mid-90's the PBS station in Springfield did an hour long show called "The Visionaires" about the Herschends, I've got a home taped copy of it (Not in great condition) and it is pretty good. I also am aware some of the shows in the late 80s or early 90s were taped and sold as VHS tapes. On audio, there is the "Sounds of Silver Dollar City" album that we have discussed here from time to time, and several sdcfans.com members have copies, and copies are easy to find on ebay...as well as those VHS tapes of the shows I discussed.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:34:55 AM »
If you're needing a quick fix, here's a 1980's video with Burl Ives and Rube Dugan's diving bell.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:35:55 AM by thelarsonsix »
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 08:10:05 AM »
Yes, they released a Silver Dollar City video around the time that I worked there, but if I recall, you got it for free by visiting a vacation travel center or ordering it.   More vacation planning than anything.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »
maybe a little "upsell" invlolved too.. ::) ::)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 02:02:22 PM »
Yeah, but I can't recall what it was.  I know that I got mine at the entrance to the Showboat but I believe it was a way to capture demographics and data...you had to talk to an industrial engineer type survey person to get it.   My sister worked at White Water in tickets and at the Branson Belle when it opened and she was pulled to hand these out a few days. 
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
My VHS is from 1990 and is a Bass Pro Shops Production in conjunction with Silver Dollar City.

It is a little over 12 minutes long. It showcases Gene as the main narrator, with Bonnie Jean, Terry, Kent "Catfish", Aunt Judy and a few others having some small parts in narration. It broke the city up into rides, food, and crafts. It has Jan & John playing a small bit, The River Rats, The Cajun Connection, glassblowers, weavers, smiths, the Street Troupe...Needless to say a bunch of good late 80's/ early 90's stuff!

IF...I have a day off this week I might try to digitize this video. I have the equipment, I just need to learn how to use it now!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:45:06 PM by rubedugans »

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Wow, thats cool rube. Not the one my brother has tho'. Hmm.. Wish he'd get on it!
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »
The video Rube has pictured above is the one I have, too. It's pretty good for what it is.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »
we're anxious to see it.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 06:46:26 PM »

IF...I have a day off this week I might try to digitize this video. I have the equipment, I just need to learn how to use it now!

If you're anywhere near me (central MO), you're probably going to have several days off here pretty quick.  :)
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 06:50:30 PM »
I think that's all of Missouri and plenty of bordering states with some days off.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 11:00:36 PM »
My Dad gave me this one today. This 35 min. VHS seems to cover the whole park. It retailed for $9.99, but I cannot find a date on the box.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 11:03:26 PM »
That appears to be recent.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating