Author Topic: Brng back "ada?"  (Read 7280 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Brng back "ada?"
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 04:11:37 PM »
oh come on J, spill it! you know you wannna.......still hate to think suce a fun charecter is booted.. :(
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 04:14:27 PM »
Nope! Don't want the "powers that be" to slap somebody around. ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »
I've got to add that I'll miss the character...love that "unibrow." Ada was a lot of woman! :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 06:41:59 PM »
Realizing that I may be in the minority amongst this group, I have to say that I am not sorry to see the character of Ada go from the City.  The performer in question is talented in many respects and has created some pretty good characters in his time, nevertheless, I don't believe SDC is an appropriate place for him to display his penchant for cross-dressing.  He has tried it in shows before and been shut down, now it appears that he has been shut down again.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 07:22:26 PM »
I feel that it is no different than young boys dressin up as girls on halloween. My nephew is 13 and dressed as a woman pirate complete with anatomically correct woman chest. Its a hoot. Not some weird tranny thing (not that there is anything wrong with that) It is pure fun.  ;D
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 07:35:04 PM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a person dressing in the clothes of the opposite sex. If there was, we gals would have to stop wearing trousers.

Besides, men as women is a centuries-long tradition in theater (as is women as men). I don't see anyone complaining about Peter Pan being played by a woman. Seems to me as if there's some double standard going on here.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 10:12:35 PM »
I have it from a good source Ada was dropped from performing. Sorry I cannot say who that source is.

I've had multiple sources tell me the same thing, Junior.

As far as the cross-dressing goes...if Ada were a buxom blonde then that would be a totally different thing, but guys playing gals as a gag??? What about Milton Berle?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:16:53 PM by Parson B Ready »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
Terry is an actor. He was trained in drama at Southwest Missouri State University at Springfield. Graduated in 1980. The cross dressing thing is an act. He's married with two sons. I don't have a problem with it. Some of Terry's college professors also trained Aunt Judy, the SDC storyteller. By the way, those same professors trained other SMSU drama students John Goodman (Rosanne), Tess Harper (Golden Globe winning actress), and Kathleen Turner (Body Heat, Peggy Sue got Married). Terry's in pretty good company. I'm proud to say I picked up a few acting techniques from watching him perform, and I applied them to playing Junior Dugan at SDC.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 09:04:09 AM »
Yup, he's an actor.  And I have no problem with his female characterizations...his Joan Rivers impersonation is fantastic.  However, one female characterization that he did in a show at SDC some years ago was downright indecent and rather embarrassing to the rest of the actors on stage with him.  Why even go down that road?  I just don't think they have a place at SDC.   

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »
Males playing female roles is not uncommon at all. In fact, back during the Shakespearian time, almost all female roles were played by males.

In 2010, it is a bit different since we live in a hypersensitive society. As we all know, if you offend just one person in a crowd, then everyone else must bend over backwards to cater to the viewpoints of that one person.

Terry was playing a character, not living a "lifestyle." Although Ada Mae Wheeler leaving Silver Dollar City is news, it is not new news. It has been mentioned a few times around here on these forums already.

Just for kicks, here is the Facebook page of Miss. Ada Mae, however I am not certain if it is ran by Terry himself, or just a huge fan. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ada-Mae/105749849459605?v=wall
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:25:46 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »
I understand where Zephon is coming from. His viewpoint is legit. Having been an insider at one point, I can say you do have to be careful which direction you go with a character on park. The incident Zephon touches on regarding the other actors being uncomfortable on stage is something I was not aware about, and no doubt it took place many years after I left the park.
--
An interesting tidbit to throw out...the worn out boots Ada and some of Terry's other characters wear are, I belive, the original boots Terry wore when playing Junior Dugan. He has gotten a lot of use out of those boots over the years...he wore them playing Melvin the Chicken Thief in the Courthouse Theater Show back in the early to mid 1980s.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »
And I really wish they'd bring the Courthouse Show back!  Hilarious!
I'm Your Huckleberry

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 08:31:08 PM »
Yeah, I wish they would also.  But the general feeling is that it would not be PC to electrocute someone on stage.  IMO, they're misjudging, in this particular case, what the audience would tolerate.