Author Topic: Myrtle Beach Dixie Stampede changing  (Read 3347 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Myrtle Beach Dixie Stampede changing
« on: September 23, 2010, 08:51:01 AM »
Wasn't sure where to put this.  Read in this morning's Springfield News Leader that at the end of this year Dolly Parton is closing the Dixie Stampede in Myrtle Beach SC; it's been open for 18 years.  It will reopen in 2011 as Pirates' Voyage featuring fighting pirates and a 5 course meal.   The article said the Dixie Stampede shows would continue in Branson and Pigeon Forge. 

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20100923/BREAKING03/100923005/1007/NEWS01/Parton+replacing+Dixie+Stampede+in+Myrtle+Beach+with+pirates

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: Myrtle Beach Dixie Stampede changing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »
Wow, well I hate to hear that! Although, I suppose pirates are a better fit for Myrtle Beach; just as the Dixie Stampede is a better fit for the Ozarks.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »
Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings here, but, ah, could it be that since Dolly has been around since the 1960's that some of her popularity has faded as people pay more attention to Taylor Swift, Miranda Lambert, Kelly Pickler, and Carrie Underwood? I wonder if Dolly will still have a piece of the theater when it gos to the pirate theme.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
I wonder if Dolly will still have a piece of the theater when it gos to the pirate theme.

I wondered the exact same thing. According to the article, "Parton says she will bring a new attraction to her theater in 2011 called Pirates' Voyage." However, that does not guarantee that she will remain a part of it.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »

This is an article taken from screamscape website, they do not list there source but i find them to be a very reputable
information source on the industry.

South Carolina - (9/23/10) Dolly Parton’s famous Dixie Stampede dinner theater attraction in Myrtle Beach is getting an $11 million transformation this winter to become Pirate’s Voyage in June 2011.
    “Guests will experience the spirit and swashbuckling excitement of the pirates who called the Carolina coast home. The Crimson and Sapphire pirates battle each other on deck, in the water and in the sky above their full sized pirate ships in a 15-foot-deep indoor lagoon to the cheers and delight of their fans in the arena. Which side will take the treasure? It’s up to you to cheer them to victory!”
    “I’m so excited about this new show,” Dolly said. “I think Pirates' Voyage will take our guests’ breath away! The competition and action between the pirates is incredible.” Spectacular acrobatic competitions live animals and a brand new original music score by Dolly Parton and Mark Brymer will create an immersive adventure experience.
    “Some folks may ask me why I would want to change Dixie Stampede after our incredible success all these years. Nearly seven million guests have enjoyed the show over the last 18, years,” Dolly said. “It may be a bold move but I think it’s the right one. Myrtle Beach has so many repeat visitors because it is such a great vacation destination, it made sense for us to create a new adventure for families to enjoy and what speaks to this area more than Pirates, so grab your hats and eye patches and head on over to the Pirates' Voyage!”
    The guest will begin their experience in the Pirates Lair and Crow’s Nest for a fun and interactive experience. They will then move into the main arena sectioned into Crimson and Sapphire pirate camps. Guests will enjoy a spectacular five course pirate feast. As the experience continues, each side will compete for the ultimate treasure!
Sounds to me like she will still be involved, maybe this is a test.  They pulled the plug on Orlandos show some time ago, maybe some of the shows are not as popular as Branson's.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 12:23:06 PM »
Actually, that sounds pretty darned awesome. Maybe I'll visit down there within the next coupla years!