Author Topic: Cave Tour with Jack Herschend  (Read 11315 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Cave Tour with Jack Herschend
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 07:46:04 PM »
Looking back at the posts I see Copper already linked to this site.

I just love the old views.  We don't really get a good look at the entrance without all the acroutrements.  It looks so wild.

Hopefully I can get into the lantern tour next weekend.  I could really use the vacation.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »
I picked up the book and DVD, Saturday, and recommend both.  They motivated me to re-visit the cave with new eyes this summer.  If you get these, make sure you tell them you've been in the cave - I got a dollar discount.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

cmosu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »
Does anybody have a link to a photo of the cabin or the Maggie At The Well painting? I've searched for a while and haven't found anything. Any help is appreciated.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 02:08:50 PM »
I have scans of postcards/ images in my office/ classroom, but with summer I won't be back there until August. If I happen to stop by I'll grab the external drive.

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »
The only picture of “Maggie at the Well (or spring)” that I know of is the painting that was made to be used in The Shepherd of the Hills movie, produced by Harold Bell Wright’s motion picture company in 1919. The original painting is in the Branson Toy Museum, which also houses the Harold Bell Wright collection. This is the same collection that was at Mutton Hollow in the 1980s. After Norman Wright died, it was then housed at the Shepherd of the Hills Homestead for awhile. The following website has a photo of the Maggie painting on the wall with other HBW related paintings:

http://christianfictionhistoricalsociety.blogspot.com/2014/04/history-came-to-life-last-week.html

There is also a “Maggie” picture that is used at the Shepherd of the Hills play. I have never seen it close up. I assume it is a drawing that someone did just to be used in the play.

I have been trying to research the cabin that is in the HBW room of Marvel Cave. The cabin was originally in the Mammoth Room of Marvel Cave and was moved to the HBW Room. By-the way, I have never found any source stating that Mr. Wright ever actually spent the night in the cave. He did explore the cave with Charles Ross and mentioned it in a letter. My understanding was that it was just a day trip. HBW was supposed to have sculpted a bald knobber face/mask out of the cave clay and stuck it on the wall. I have a photo of that and it is online at the Harold Bell Wright website (see photo #32):

http://www.gchudleigh.com/marvelcavepc.htm

However, there is no proof that the mask in the photo is actually the one he made. One little secret about that sculpture (you won't find in print) is that it has been stolen and remade many times.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »
Great links MoOzark- thanks!
I'm Your Huckleberry