Author Topic: SDC vs Dolly  (Read 7494 times)

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: SDC vs Dolly
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 07:28:19 AM »
SDC is your first home, your first love, it will always be something special even if it does not have all the shine, bells, and whistles, of your later life.  It is a special place where you can go and get away.  It is more retail driven and because of this it does feel more like a real city.  It does feel like you are visiting old friends when you get on the train, the mine, Grandpa's Mansion.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »
I have never been to DW, but we are planning a trip next Spring/ Summer so that we can get a good comparison between the two.As a 30 yr SDC guest, I think that I know which one will end up as my favorite.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »
Just don't go expecting SDC and you'll really like DW.  It's not SDC, but it never claimed to be either.
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »
Just don't go expecting SDC and you'll really like DW.  It's not SDC, but it never claimed to be either.

Yes it did back in the 1970's. ;D

I'm just teasing. I agree though, Dollywood is a theme park. Silver Dollar City is heart, and soul that just also happens to have some roller coasters. :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 12:40:42 PM »
Understandable. I purchased a wooden entry sign from there when it was SDC (Ax in Log) and obviously I know it WAS an SDC, but know it has grown ito its' own sort of park.

(Hopefully thisa policy will still be in place for 2011) With my current SDC season Pass I can get 50% off regular one-day admission to Dollywood & Dollywood's Splash Country® . This would take the $55.90 and lower it to under $30. I can handle that!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Dollywood is still a terrific park, and with a bargain like that, I definitely say go for it. You will have a great time! :D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 05:03:46 PM »
^^3 years ago we could could get in free with an All-City Pass.  >:(
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 10:42:02 PM »
^^3 years ago we could could get in free with an All-City Pass.  >:(

True that.  And we did.  In fact, I went expecting we would each get one free one-day ticket.  When we went, though, they said we could have a free ticket every day we wanted to come--Splash Country, too!  We went two days to Dollywood and one day to Splash Country.  Talk about a budget vacation!

I really liked Dollywood.  I want to go back sometime, but there are so many places I want to go and so many things I want to see.  Will SDC always be first in my heart?  Yes.  But Dollywood is wonderful.  It didn't feel out of theme to me, especially when you realize that Dollywood's theme is the time periods of Dolly's life and a celebration of the people of the Smokies.  It is a charming park, and we enjoyed the aspects of the park that SDC doesn't have, like the eagle sanctuary and show. 

I agree with Swoosh.  Don't expect it to be SDC.  Enjoy it for what it is.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:47:29 PM by StaceySue »