Author Topic: A Detailed Discussion: Food/Drinks  (Read 19353 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
What food would you add at SDC?
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 05:52:38 PM »
If you could add something new to the menu at SDC what would it be?  I'd love to see them offer a steak dinner.  There used to be one at the restraunt that is now the Wagon Works Grill.  I remember my wife and I sitting down to a steak dinner there with a baked potato and side salad.  I wish they'd bring that back.  Anything else needed to be added to SDC's menus?
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What food would you add at SDC?
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 06:48:18 PM »
steak is a great idea,  Your all going to shoot me......  Sorry everyone..  But at times I wish I could get a good tasting pizza..!!   yea i know, it is not in "theme"!!!!   BUT duelist did ask the question. ;D

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: A Detailed Discussion: Food/Drinks
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 08:23:50 PM »
They have a couple of Italian eateries don't they? We had pizza (buffet) in Molly's Mill or right next door IIRC. There's also one down by the RR that has spaghetti, but not sure what else, haven't been in there yet.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »
I should add here that I re-opened this thread since we had so many new members since it  was last posted to and to get opinions from others who didn't get to post the first time.  Many thanks to Tinaalsgirl for starting it in the first place!
I'm Your Huckleberry

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »
What is your favorite sit-down restaurant?  Best sit down experience we've had is the place where they had the BBQ all-you-can-eat at this year's BG&BBQ.  Great food, Great service.

Least favorite?  Years ago, had a lackluster supper at the mill, but I don't want to hold that againt them now.  It was too cafeteria-style (i.e. junior high lunchroom).

What is your favorite concession-type food place?  Wagonworks.  It would be one of the skillets IF I didn't have to have sweet potatoes.

Least favorite?  Had some really poor fried chicken at Aunt Polly's during 2010 OTC.  May have been because it was late in the day.  I LOVE fried chicken, and I think that's a shame.  If the chicken were consistently good there, it would be my favorite.

What is your favorite drink cart/etc?  Fresh lemonade.  I can echo the previous poster who lauded the gentleman who mixes it.

Least favorite?  Nuts.  I'm no fan of Dippin' Dots, either, but I guess they serve a function.

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)?   Funnel Cakes.  My boys love the sliced potato things, and I have to admit to thinking them pretty good.

Least favorite? N/A

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks?  BBQ!!!!!  Followed by some of the WF foods.

Least favorite?  Some of the other WF foods.

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge?  Probably the branded stuff (just because *I* don't like nuts doesn't mean I should ban them) because they break theme.

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge?  The steak dinner/theater combo sounds good.  Just because the operation was tried 25 years ago doesn't mean it's not a good idea now (given the changing habits of the guests).

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)?  Why not?

Further thoughts:  can we do soemthing to reduce the plastic contianers that some of the shps (like th eSanwich shop) serve in?  They really make the service and the food look cheap.  I'm not demanding china, but even junior high lunchrooms had some kind of plates.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2011, 11:22:23 AM »
pretty good preview on everything palallin, i agree with your statement oabout plastic ware.  BUT the cost to maintain dishes, broken, and keep them clean would be UNREAL!!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »
I would like to see small batch root beer or sarsaparilla...Again. They had it back in the 80's.

Having worked in the food industry, I understand the health issues, and codes that are needed for the sale of food, especially if it is not made on site, and it was in fact an outside source that made it and sold it during the fall festival...But it was good!

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 12:40:57 PM »
Thanks!  I understand the costs, and I don't even really mind the plastic silverware.  What I mostly object to are the clear plastic boxes the sandwiches sit in in some shops.  They don't help preserve but they do make the place look like an old automat.  If not china, then how about chinette?  ;-)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
Oh wow, it's nice to see one of my Detailed Discussion threads alive again. I know I totally dropped the ball on keeping them going; school got in the way of, well, everything.

Keep the ideas comin'!

spgoad

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 09:33:41 PM »
Figured I'd give it a go...

What is your favorite sit-down restaurant? Least favorite?
Actually haven't eaten at any of the SDC sit down places, only the counter service type. Keep wanting to try breakfast at Molly Mill's though...

What is your favorite concession-type food place? Least favorite?
Buckshot Anne's. The Harvest Skillet and the Succotash. Love them. Least favorite... hmm, not sure I've had a bad concession meal yet. Granted I avoid the ones that don't appeal to me... never really interested in the corn dogs or the italian food when I'm there.

What is your favorite drink cart/etc? Least favorite?
Favorite is the Frozen Arctic Lemonade cart, the Arctic Strawberry to be specific. Not any of this flavored minute made lemonade or the regular frozen lemonade, the Arctic Strawberry is what hits the spot. Only one cart that I know off... I always search it out. Least favorite - Icee machines. I can get that at 7-11 around the corner for half the price.

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)? Least favorite?
Candy Factory and Apple Butter store! Gotta love free samples! :-)

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks? Least favorite?
So far, the Apple Pie from the BBQ festival. Amazing. Least favorite - Italian nachos at WF. They are a cold cruel joke. :-)

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge?
Icee machines. Come on, really?

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge?
Add arctic strawberry, to ALL the frozen lemonade stands. Also I'd probably add some bakery stands around the park.

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)? Sure, why not. If you still plan to do it.

In short - I love SDC food. My wife and I love going there just to eat. I guess we ride the rides and do other things to. But whenever we plan a trip we get all excited about skillet meals and the bakery goods!
SDC Annual Passholder since 2011. I'm a new guy. :)

2011 SDC Visits: Spring Break Days, World Fest, Bluegrass & BBQ, Southern Gospel Picnic (upcoming!)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
I did try to steer my grandson to restaurants for some good grub on our trip today (June 24, 2011) but all he was interested in was the snack/junk type stuff...dippin' dots twice today...frozen lemonaide, funnel cake, giant jawbreaker on a stick, cotton candy during the train ride. Giant chocolate chip cookie. No complaints from him. I sampled about all of it, and it was fine. Although I AM ready now for some solid food...thank goodness my wife was busy in the kitchen when we got home! LOL!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »
Figured I'd give it a go...

What is your favorite sit-down restaurant? Least favorite?
Actually haven't eaten at any of the SDC sit down places, only the counter service type. Keep wanting to try breakfast at Molly Mill's though...

What is your favorite concession-type food place? Least favorite?
Buckshot Anne's. The Harvest Skillet and the Succotash. Love them. Least favorite... hmm, not sure I've had a bad concession meal yet. Granted I avoid the ones that don't appeal to me... never really interested in the corn dogs or the italian food when I'm there.

What is your favorite drink cart/etc? Least favorite?
Favorite is the Frozen Arctic Lemonade cart, the Arctic Strawberry to be specific. Not any of this flavored minute made lemonade or the regular frozen lemonade, the Arctic Strawberry is what hits the spot. Only one cart that I know off... I always search it out. Least favorite - Icee machines. I can get that at 7-11 around the corner for half the price.

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)? Least favorite?
Candy Factory and Apple Butter store! Gotta love free samples! :-)

What are your favorite festival foods and drinks? Least favorite?
So far, the Apple Pie from the BBQ festival. Amazing. Least favorite - Italian nachos at WF. They are a cold cruel joke. :-)

What food/drink related places/items would you omit if you were in charge?
Icee machines. Come on, really?

What food/drink related places/items would you add if you were in charge?
Add arctic strawberry, to ALL the frozen lemonade stands. Also I'd probably add some bakery stands around the park.

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)? Sure, why not. If you still plan to do it.

In short - I love SDC food. My wife and I love going there just to eat. I guess we ride the rides and do other things to. But whenever we plan a trip we get all excited about skillet meals and the bakery goods!
My father-in-law also loves the arctic strawberry...We found it in 2 spots. One by the river blast and one down by the echo hollow area.
Colorado SDC Fan

spgoad

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2011, 08:33:27 PM »
My father-in-law also loves the arctic strawberry...We found it in 2 spots. One by the river blast and one down by the echo hollow area.
Hmm, I've only ever seen the echo hollow area cart. I'll have to look closer near river blast next time I'm there...
SDC Annual Passholder since 2011. I'm a new guy. :)

2011 SDC Visits: Spring Break Days, World Fest, Bluegrass & BBQ, Southern Gospel Picnic (upcoming!)

GeekChick

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:11 PM »
I'll just answer a few questions...

What is your favorite sit-down restaurant? Least favorite?  Love the Mill restaurant breakfast buffet!  The last several visits I've always eaten lunch at the Ribhouse, but that was mainly to watch everyone ride the Lost River -- some people are so funny on that ride!  Unfortunately, since moving to Kansas City, the BBQ at the Ribhouse is not as good as I can get here at home....

What is your favorite drink cart/etc? Least favorite?  Favorite is the strawberries and ice cream!

What is your favorite shop/stand for food (Candy Factory, Sullivan's Mill, Apple Butter, Jerky, Honey, etc)? Least favorite?  It's been quite a while since I've bought any food at the shops, but I'm planning on buying some candy this year.  I can no longer eat chocolate, so I'm looking forward to trying some of the salt water taffy or nut brittles or something like that!

Would you be interested in being quoted in a "Fandom Entreaty" to be compiled and sent to SDC (this "Fandom Entreaty," when finished, would first be posted in full to SDCFans)?  I suppose, although I'm not sure if I said much worth quoting ;)

I'd also like to add that I love the fact that all of the restaurant menus are online.  I'm on a restricted diet now and there's several foods that I can no longer eat, so I love being able to plan out my meals in advance!  I think we might try Aunt Polly's this year, it looks like they have a good variety of foods I can actually eat!  Fortunately I think I can still find enough I can eat at the breakfast buffet :)