Author Topic: Favorite Park and Why  (Read 7256 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Favorite Park and Why
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:26:16 PM »
So as JBOnline was saying in the other thread, there's definitely an array of viewpoints out there from which one determines which park is the best.
I, obviously, find SDC to be the best park out there, and that is because I value the nostalgia, the atmosphere, the charm, and the general fun all around feel of the place over the number and size of their thrill rides. Now many others, on the other hand, find that other parks (like SFStL) are better because of their thrill offerings, or for any other number of reasons.

Which park do you find to be the best, and why?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Park and Why
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:59:50 AM »
Oh, SDC is definitely the best. I've been to SFStL, I've been to Disneyland (twice) AND Disney World, I've been to Busch Gardens Tampa (Africa), I've been to Knott's Berry Farm... and of course to Worlds of Fun.

And of all my theme park trips, there has never been anything that remotely touched SDC on quality. I love thrills as much as the next person, but I also like to be IMMERSED in theme. If a park is going to have themes, they need to go all the way or else it just feels fake to me.

With SDC, they've done an ingenious thing wherein the entire park is a single theme. With SF, each ride is of a totally different movie/TV show/etc. With Disney, they have four or five "lands", as does Worlds of Fun.

But with SDC, it's all one single theme, with everything in the park fitting into that one theme. And that's what's so great about it is because no matter what part of that park you are in, you are always in the 1880s. Front, back, left, right. No matter what, I am really in the old Ozark mountains of the late 1800s.

It's really difficult to properly explain why SDC has become to me what Disneyland is to many others, but I think it's partly that I feel a type of magic when walking through those turnstiles that I've never felt anywhere else. I feel like I'm time traveling and that I really am where the theme says the park is supposed to be.

I also feel this sense of belonging that I've never felt anywhere else. I've often wondered if I was an Ozark inhabitant in a previous life... I've just latched onto it so quickly and easily. I mean, this is a Californian city girl who within just a year or two completely became a Midwesterner.

So, yeah, I'm rambling. But, I definitely think SDC is the best out there.

Oh, and I've never encountered employees as friendly and kind as the SDC Citizens. They really do seem like they live there and LIKE "living" there, unlike employees at other parks.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:41:31 AM »
When it comes to the question, "Which park is your favorite to visit multiple times a year for multiple years?" SDC wins by a land slide.  As an adult, I've never found as much enjoyment from mulitple visits as SDC.  I do want to give several parks a knod but with the following disclaimer:  I do not have the ability to visit multiple time within a year, and even if I could, I don't know if I would or not: 
1.)I love going to Six Flags Great America in Chicago.  I've been there three times over the years and have really liked it every time.  Down side: I'm not sure that the park has a good enough concert series to get me to come  multiple times a year.  As the parks becomes more of a Six Flags and less Marriot, I'm not sure that it will keep my approval.  They better never tear out Whizzer.
2.)I think that I would like Kings Island multiple times a year due to their concerts and extremely well developped children's land.  I have been there two times at about a ten year interval.  This park faces a dark future too, though.  They've been bought out by a giant who tends to strip the soul out of parks. 

Eagle Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 07:15:41 PM »
Tough question, but my 3 favorite parks are:

Kennywood
Holiday World
SDC

Followed closely by Cedar Point, Dollywood, and SFOG

Max

• I am a Happy Frog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »
Holiday World is my favorite park. I love SDC, but HW has pretty cool themes and collection of rides.

rosenc1c

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »
Epcot (Science and technology combined with world travel, it's an awesome combination). 
Magic Kingdom
Disney Studios
Disneyland
California Adventure
SDC
Bonfante Gardens (one of the most beautiful parks in the country). 

I love SDC, but in my opinion it's not really in the same class as the Disney parks. 

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 11:35:54 AM »
I have to say my favorite park is SDC for nostalgia reasons and overall theme/atmosphere, and I've been to several.  CC, old Branson USA, Six Flags STL, Worlds of Fun, DW, and Disney World.  A close second actually, is old Dogpatch USA in Marble Falls, AR (between Harrison and Jasper).  I loved that place, but it was doomed due to the close proximity of Branson and SDC.  Does anyone else have fond memories of Dogpatch?  Is it a favorite of anyone else?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:34:25 PM »
Whenever I go to Silver Dollar City, I feel that I am at home and I have a whole lot of fun there everytime. Silver Dollar City is most definitely my home park and it always will be but my Walt Disney World trip in 2004 definitely compared with SDC on quality (although their food sucks).

We were at WDW for a whole week and we went to every park and waterpark. It was probably the best vacation I've ever been on and definitely very memorable. I've had a ton of memories of SDC though and it is definitely a very fun place to be. Both of those parks are very close to me but SDC still reigns supreme for reasons I can't explain. It is just an awesome place.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 09:36:35 AM »
This is going to suprise ALOT of people here, but
I think my favorite park is Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom.
I know, it only has like 3 good rides, but the waterpark is GREAT, and it's just a really fun place to be because everyone is always smiling and it's not TOO far a drive.
my second favorite park woulod be Six Flags St. Louis,
and my third would be DollyWood.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »
SDC, of course, just because of its quaint theming, nature, and the personality.  It doesn't matter who goes, they're transformed when they cross the turnstiles.

Has anyone mentioned Sea World?  The Sea World in San Antonio is really well planned, spread out, and beautiful.

Then I have to mention Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly Disney MGM).  The street performers and pre-show performers there are top-notch and full of side-splitting talent.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 09:09:21 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Sea World?  The Sea World in San Antonio is really well planned, spread out, and beautiful.

Then I have to mention Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly Disney MGM).  The street performers and pre-show performers there are top-notch and full of side-splitting talent.

I have been to both Seaworld San Antonio (and San Diego) and Disney Hollywood Studios (when I went it was Disney MGM). I loved Seaworld San Antonio. It has some awesome coasters (Steel Eel, Great White) and water rides (Texas Splashdown). It is also a very beautiful park as you mentioned. Seaworld San Diego is very crammed together and has really only one good ride (which broke down five or six times before I could ride it and then I had to wait in line for two hours). All the animals at both parks are also amazing.

Disney Hollywood Studios (MGM to me) was my favorite park at Disney World mostly because of The Tower of Terror. That ride is one of the most amazing attractions ever built. And Disney also has very good theming and shows which added to the joy of that trip.

This is off topic but, has anyone heard of what Seaworld Orlando is getting? A new waterpark! I have never been to Seaworld Orlando but this park looks amazingly detailed and fun, http://aquaticabyseaworld.com/Site/flash/homepage/Default.aspx
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:10:38 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 11:11:43 AM »
^I have been to Sea World Orlando and it is very detailed and a lot of fun!

I have also been to Disney Hollywood Studios (MGM when I was there) and that is my favorite Disney World park as well.  All the history involving films is what attracted me the most.  It also has great shows and rides/attractions.  An all-around great time!

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 01:32:52 PM »
My family went to Disney Worlds Magic Kingdom a couple of years ago and left feeling that SDC was a much better park and a whole lot more fun
SDC has always made a great past to remember

CoasterCale

• View Profile
    • Home of Chicago's Very own Coaster Cale
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 01:15:57 PM »
Ironically, my favorite park is the Magic Kingdom. It a great park with tons to do, all greatly themed, and has nostalgia. (For me at least.)
Am I the only one that thinks PowderKeg is the best coaster at SDC?
#25 Wild Thing #50 Millenium Force #75 Skull Mountain (SFGAd) #100 Seven Dwarfs Mine #125 Avalanche

Disneyfamily

• SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
1. Magic Kingdom
2. Dollywood
3. SDC
4. Hollywood Studios
5. Fort Dells (closed)