Author Topic: More major upgrades ahead  (Read 11284 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
More major upgrades ahead
« on: October 27, 2007, 01:41:57 PM »
Sometime in early to mid November, I'm going to roll out a new layout along with some new features. I'll be upgrading the photo galleries to run on Lightbox, fixing up the comment system (hopefully adding a log-in feature, rather than letting everyone come in and post), adding a couple of new pages, and maybe throwing in a few other special features as well.

I'm much better prepared for this round of upgrades than the last, so this time things will go much more smoothly and the outcome will be much better. I've already done a lot of it, I really just need to finish the layout/design.

Btw, this upgrade package will probably be the last before I go completely all-out and re-do the entire site in a way that will really set us apart, but that will take awhile.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: More major upgrades ahead
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:01:29 PM »
I think you all will really enjoy the new look of the site - it's much cleaner and easier to use than what we have now. It may be the first template that I will be comfortable with settling with for a while.

Right now is the time to throw me any suggestions you have. Keep in mind that the photo gallery will be completely re-vamped, and the comment boxes will be upgraded to be easier to read/use.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 08:29:02 PM »
Grrrrr.... So I've gone through a few attempts at a new template, and I've given them all up half way through. I'm now starting on what I hope will be it. That's what's been taking me so long, but after I get this done the rest should be a breeze, and I hope to have this done by next weekend or so.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 10:35:25 PM »
One more update before I bring out a test model to show you guys:

I've been going back and forth on several designs and color schemes, and I still haven't decided what to do yet. It's tough figuring out what will both look good, be the most functional, and provide the most flexibility for future add ons. As I've said before, I want this template to be good enough to last for some time.

Unfortunately, the new upgrade package won't be done in time for my big Christmas SDC update, but it shouldn't be too terribly long now.
Next time I bring up an update, it'll contain a link to a test template so you guys can make any suggestions or comments on it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
Alright, just so you guys know:

I've pretty much given up on designing a template from scratch - I just can't seem to make anything fit together right. Thus, I'm going to download something and customize it. Hopefully it won't take me long.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 11:15:50 PM »
What sort of layout are you looking for? I've got a pretty simple layout that I used for a website I had last year (it's no longer up)... This is what it looked like:

Main Page

Sub-page

I used Microsoft's Visual Web Developer Express 2005 (aka the free version) to do my site; I would've used ASP.net so I could use the Masterpages feature, but the level of service I had with my webhost didn't support the ASP stuff.

I dunno what program you're using for the site, so maybe this might come in handy? I barely knew HTML, much less CSS and stuff before I started on my site, and the VWD really helped me get my site finished without much trouble at all.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vwd/

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »
We need a 3 column layout that can easily collapse to two columns. I have several designs in mind, but my terrible graphic design skills have hindered all my recent attempts. Plus, I'm still trying to use the Gimp rather than go out and get  a personal copy of photoshop.

I can pretty much code anything I need to by hand, it's just the design that kills me.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 01:42:31 PM »
Collapsible 3-column layout... so something like this?

http://www.cross-browser.com/x/examples/x_3col_fm.html

Well, if you need help with the graphic design, feel free to e-mail me with a detailed description of what you're needing help with, and/or maybe a quick sketch to give me an idea of what you're visualizing, and I could see about trying to cook up something.

I haven't used Gimp before, but I downloaded it and some overlay called GimpShop that's supposed to make it look and act more like Photoshop; I got that because some of the tutorials for PS are difficult to translate into Paint Shop Pro, which is what I normally use (though I'm still stuck in version 7).

~ "Becky" Joy ~
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:45:26 PM by tinaalsgirl »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 08:12:30 PM »
Arg... I've been looking around, but nothing looks good, and anything that comes close would have to be mostly redone anyway.

I might just have to try again on my own, but I have no idea how what I'm going to do... Eh, I'll figure something out - the only thing is that I just don't have much time. I get back from work around 7, and then I have other stuff to do, so there's not much time.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 09:30:04 PM »
I think I'm just going to use this: http://www.openwebdesign.org/viewdesign.phtml?id=3499&referer=%2Fmost_popular.phtml

But of course I'll have to do a lot to it. For starters, I'll have change the side navigation, then I'll have to change the right column to hold the stuff I want it to. Then I plan to change the color scheme around a lot.

It's pretty much this or nothing. I just don't have the time, drive, or ability to make anything much better than what we have now.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 11:51:38 PM »
Ooo, I like that one. Nice and clean.

Just let me know if I can help in any way.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 11:09:28 AM »
^If you want to help, we could really use a logo.

I'll have to send you the colors when I decide on them, but basically a simple symbol with SDCFans.com next to it and the tagline 'A Silver Dollar City Fansite' somewhere on it would be great.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 12:15:36 PM »
Okie dokie! Just let me know when you send over the color info what the width and height will need to be.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 11:33:52 PM »
Well, I've started on it, but it's pretty rough-looking right now. I hope it turns out better than I think it will.

The color scheme is a little different: kind of a bunch of shades of grey and light brown with deep reds thrown in here and there.

Here's the dimensions you need Joy:
The container height for the logo will be about 60px, and it can be pretty much as wide as you want.
The logo will sit on a background of B9B09D, and the logo colors should probably be dark greys and crimsons around 590000 or so.

Like I said earlier, I think a simple icon or something with the site name and slogan next to it would work well with this template, but you can be as creative as you want. I might need to show you an example of what the template will look like for you to be able to visualize what will look best.

Thanks a lot for this, it's really a big help.   

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 09:24:59 PM »
Ugg, I couldn't use the template because the code for it was dreadful, so I tried to make something myself. Unfortunately, like I've said before: I can't make images. Thus, the template turned to crap.

Here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to try something more simple, yet clean and elegant looking, but only if I can get it done in a week or so. If I can't, I'm just going to swallow my pride go for the best looking free template I can find.

I've been trying to re-do the look of the site for so long I've almost completely forgotten about all the other stuff I want to do with it. It's time to move on.

Don't worry if you've already started on a logo based on what I told you before, Joy - the colors will remain the same for the most part.