Author Topic: "Secrets" of SDC  (Read 14674 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: "Secrets" of SDC
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 02:41:52 AM »
There is a separate admission for the cave and several people do it each year.  I remember one year as a guide I gave a tour to 70 Mennonite people, it was a blast.  You can do it by purchasing your tickets through Guests Relations.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 08:11:35 AM »
As far as behind the scenes photos of flooded mine...I wish when I worked there I would have taken some. There are several hidden areas behind the scenes in the building, most are just small areas, or areas to walk through. There is a small break room behind the loading area, just through a door and up a few stairs. (Used to have a bunch of girlie pinups in there!) The Flooded mine does look much different with the work lights on...so much better in the dark. In the dark..that's the magic...with work lights on, rather boring. Sorry, no behind the scenes photos from me. Maybe some of the current insiders can slip in and take a few.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

dorsal

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 12:18:43 AM »
Is that break room what is behind the door on the left marked "do not enter" (or some such) as you enter the boat loading area?  I've noticed the door is not locked (it actually moves if you lean on it).  Never had the nerve to open it and see what's behind...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 08:56:18 AM »
Yes, that's where the flooded mine break room is. However, I do not reccomend that you go into any area of the park that you are not supposed to...that is unless you have a friend or relative that is an employee and you are with them.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »
I believe this has been mentioned before, but I wish Silver Dollar City offered regular behind the scenes tours including employee only areas, maintenance shops, and even the theme warehouse. Granted if you have a family member, or friend who works at the park then that may help "get you in the door" so to speak. Also, I know that on certain occasions Silver Dollar City has held open door special events. However, for us "regular Joe" visitors, I wish we could sign up for such a tour! ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »
Alot of the magic of the park is the stuff you see...I can tell you, behind the scenes, it's bland. The Wagon Works Restaurant, the General Store, and the shop next to it are themed to look like separate, small structures, but in reality it's all one big building. There is an employee area behind those shops and it used to have a rest room, trash compactor, and small office/break area. The back side of those shops to my memory was just painted plywood...grey or brown at that. A utility area, with no magic. Same thing with the employee cafeteria, and the commercial kitchens and a ware house behind the mine/mill restaurant. Utility areas. A few offices, costume shop, and so on. However, I admit, as a new employee back in 1978, I was fascinated with these work areas of the park...because it was such a contrast to the park that guests see where all the magic happens!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »
It is kind of like going to Oz and not knowing what is behind the curtain. I mean it is still great to be there, but there is always that wonder of what is back there.....And even if I knew, it wouldn't change my lookoout on the park itself. Sometime I will get a look....Just to fulfill my curiosities

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »
I personally am enthralled with the "not so pretty" side of special places like SDC.  Having worked there, the actual number of backstage locations aren't all that plentiful (attractions with lights on not withstanding).  But all in all, I loved having that touch of reality coming to work each day with all the sights and smells of the 1880's and then clocking in and working half my day in an industrial looking candy factory in a basement.  We all want a taste of the anti-theme!

It's just the thought that most people didn't know it was there that was neat.  I think the same can be said of the Disney tunnel system.  I pass through there several times a week and it's great to see the underbelly, if you will, of the happiest place on Earth.

But I'll just caution this to everyone:  once you have looked into the face of the normalcy of anywhere behind the scenes, there isn't anything left to "discover"

And there ends my Aesop fable, y'all.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

pintrader

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »
I wouldn't call this a secret but it was interesting.  I was told all of the ice cream except sugar free was made on site at the ice cream parlor.  Also, I was told by a worker that 80% of the candy was made on site at the candy factory.  I was wondering if this percentage in the candy factory has changed over the years (increased or decreased).

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »
They still make everything that is chocolate, brittle, fudge and hard stick/pillow candy.   They have indeed increased their "repackaged" candy (like Runts, licorice, red hots) but you can tell which is crafted and which is repackaged. 

I would say 80% is still made there.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 09:02:34 PM »
This topic is almost a year old but I found out something I didn't know last weekend so I thought I'd reopen it.  We were going through the queue line for Lost River of the Ozarks when one of the workers there told us about the different colored flags they put up above the "watch tower" on the ride ( the tower the citizen sits in before you get to the cave).  Anyway he said a red flag means the wait time for the ride is one hour; a yellow flag means 45 minutes; and a green flag means 3o minutes or less.  The flag was yellow for 45 minutes but we waited anyway and got through the line and off the ride in about 30 minutes.  So I guess the wait times are worse-case scenarios.  I thought I'd pass this helpful info along.
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 09:07:48 PM »
now that is an interesting idea.. I will try to rmemeber to look for flags next time down..

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »
Wow, I had never noticed the flag colors. Very interesting tidbit! Now, I will have to purposely look for it. ;D

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38:53 AM »
Good catch! I will have to jot this down and take it with me for reference!
Andymeets1880s

LadyDrifter

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »
Very interesting.  I will definitely watch for this.