Author Topic: "Secrets" of SDC  (Read 14734 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
"Secrets" of SDC
« on: July 22, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
Back when SDC first charged admission in the late 60's, they had two tickets...one for just walking through the park and visiting shops and craftsmen, and a higher "passport" ticket that included admission to the treehouse, mansion, flooded mine, float trip, and steam train. All the passport attractions had a little booth where you got your ticket punched. The booth at the mansion was torn down when I worked there, around '79 or '80. The base of the tree with the staircase to the treehouse had a window where an employee was sitting to punch your ticket. The "window" at the base of the tree is likely covered with something now...probably some kind of sign,  or something. The ticket punch area at the float trip was in the mill that now decorates the American Plunge. You just don't go through the mill anymore. Last time I was on park, I think the ticket punch area for the flooded mine was still there. It was the little hut right before you crossed the little bridge over the water to the main building. The ticket punch area for the train is now used as a gift shop. On the front of the building, the window farthest to the right was used by a "station master" to punch your ticket. Even when SDC began charging one price for everything in the mid-70's, they still kept employees at some of these locations to greet you as you came into the attraction. The last float trip "river rat" to work the line was a guy named Percy, and he held the job 'til the end of the 1978 season. In 1979 when I worked at the float trip, there was nobody in that position. The train had a station master on in to the 1990's, I think. In the early 80's, the guys from the diving bell had the responsibility of cleaning the mansion and treehouse prior to park opening. I was one of those guys. Sometimes we would be stationed to go back and forth between the two places during the day to keep trash picked up, and to visit with guests. My pal Tony did that quite a lot around '82 and '83.  As time has passed, SDC has phased these employees out from those jobs...it's too bad...those folks, including myself, helped add a bit more of that ole SDC flavor to those attractions. However, time has marched on, and SDC does not staff those old posts anymore. It's part of the streamlining that goes on in big companies, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:50:05 PM by History Buff »
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
"Secrets" of SDC
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:47:52 PM »
^They still have a shopper's pass.  You pay as depoist (full admission) at the Guest Relations and then get a receipt stating the time you were issued the pass.  You then enter the park and have 1 hour to shop.  If you do not return in the allotted time you do not get your deposit back as they assume that you decided to spend the rest of the day at the park.  IF it is taking longer, you can have the store clerk call and let GR know.
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
"Secrets" of SDC
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:44:52 AM »
New one on me...but an interesting idea.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
"Secrets" of SDC
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 06:56:12 PM »
the only reason I even knew it existed was because a lady used one while I was in the Guest Relations building last year.
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
"Secrets" of SDC
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 08:55:15 PM »
While we're on "secrets of the park" for the last couple of years we have ordered (in advance) from the bakery a birthday cake for our daughter.  We then took it around to different workers at the park that had wished her a "Happy Birthday" (she's 6).  A lot of the workers had no idea that the bakery did personalized birthday cakes.  FYI.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
"Secrets" of SDC
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »
Wow, neither did I! Now if we can convince the funnel cake guys to come to our house and make 'em fresh for us....(I was a funnel cake guy in '79 but I don't remember how they mixed the batter up..and it's gotta be just right.)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: "Secrets" of SDC
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 01:51:28 PM »
Do I remember correctly that you can tour Marvel Cave without paying park admission?  It seems that many years ago this was the setup - since the cave was designated a historic landmark.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »
I want to say that touring the cave is free WITH paid park admission. Part of the overall package.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
Yeeahh...but what about my question?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »
I'm not aware of touring the cave separately from park admission. I guess the best thing to do is see if DocSpelo would address this, or maybe you can contact the park directly and ask. I don't think I've ever heard anyone come on out just to tour the cave. I guess they would charge an admission price, but I don't know what it would be. Just because they made the National list as a landmark does not mean they have to give a tour away, as they have a lease on the cave that was privately owned by a church and College of the Ozarks...it was initially donated to them by the Lynch Sisters. I want to say that sometime in the 1990s the cave and the land surrournding it were purchased by SDC...seems like I saw this in the Branson press, but there are those on this site who will say I'm wrong...and I could be.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 05:31:16 PM »
That would be a little hard to control since you can exit and walk out right by Phoebe Snapp's and the restrooms without anyone noticing.

I used to manage Guest Relations at WDW and we have a shopper's pass as well, but it is limited to two hours and like Swoosh said, you have to pay full price.  If you aren't out within the two hours, you just bought yourself a ticket to the park. Oh, and we typically don't sell them when entertainment (parades, etc) are going on. 

We also used to have a ticket system as most of you probably remember.  I LOVE finding old places that still exist like that.  Now I'll be looking around SDC for more of these old places that I like to call "negative spaces" because they aren't really used for anything but are just a hull. 
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 06:36:02 AM »
I know that back in the 60's 70's you had to add the cave to your ticket price if you wanted to tour it.  For several years we did not go to the cave.

My parents still have punch tickets from when SDC did those. 

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »
We have seen pictures of FITH behind the scenes, I want to see some Flooded Mine secret pics.....anyone have any?

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
I have seen a pic of a "lost" scene from Flooded Mine. I forget where, but I want to say Junior had it posted somewhere. Anyway, it was a scene of what looked like an office of the mine with a guy that had went through the floor and was almost under a desk I believe.

If anyone knows what I am talking about, can that anyone tell me where that was???
Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 08:35:54 PM »
I think that i was the area where the fake rocks used to fall...the area with the sleeping guards...area that one time had ghosts in it...the "rockslide" area...that is where the flooded mine photo Junior posted from 1970 was taken. The "office" for the flooded mine was there.

Here is a link to Juniors Flickr photo of it...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan/4619068362/