Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Memory Book!  (Read 9961 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
50th Anniversary Memory Book!
« on: July 23, 2010, 05:01:51 PM »
I got mine!!!!  Anyone else get theirs?!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: 50th Anniversary Memory Book!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:08:30 PM »
I've been waiting...should be in the mail and on the way! How is it? Springfield News-Leader do a good job with it?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »
As a fan of the good City, I love it!  Of course it only has a few photos that I haven't seen before (either on SDCfans or Facebook).  So nothing shocking and it is mostly only pictures.  I guess they asked for submissions or something because some of the same kids family photos keep popping up all through the book (maybe someone involved with the book).

I do like some of the photos from personal collections from the old days like the old tin types and instamatic photos.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 11:29:47 PM »
BetaMike...I submitted some diving bell photos which they were supposed to publish. One color and one tintype...did either of 'em actually make it into the book?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 12:44:32 AM »
The tintype was in there! I couldn't help but smile to see a fellow SDCFan make it into the book!

It is definitely interesting. There are some older photos I'd never seen before. The first half or so is well-organized as a history of the park, but then it suddenly feels as if it hops around a bit nearer the end. And many of the pics are easily accessible online, so I was slightly disappointed that there weren't more "exclusive" pics.

I wish I'd known that they were getting photos from people. There are so many great "civilian" photos out there that I would love to have seen in it.

One photo that stood out to me as perhaps not the best choice is the "obligatory" "in front of the giant logo" pic. It's a really unfocused image that could easily have been replaced with any number of similar pictures.

All in all, though, the first half of the book is certainly worth it, and as an avid SDC collector, there's no way I would NOT have gotten this book. LOL

However, I definitely am looking forward to rubedugan's project a LOT more now.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 01:03:09 AM »
If I understand what Rube has said in the past SDC was afraid  his project would conflict with what they were doing...is that right Rube? But really, I think it would be a complement to what they have done! Rube, I really cannot wait 'til your project is ready!!!!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »
Yeah the tintype of the Juniors is in there.  I also agree that the book skips way ahead and sort of becomes like a TV commercial.  I don't think I'll be pouring over this one for days, but it is neat to finally have an "official" coffee table style book on the city.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:52:52 AM by betamike »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 08:41:01 AM »
Ahhhhh! Great to know my Dugan Boys are represented in da hood! I'm looking forward to seeing the mailman come by in the next few days!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Got my book in the mail today. Overall, it's pretty good. I'm a bit disappointed to have spotted some editorial errors. On page 106, it claims in the diving bell tintype caption that I live in Springfield, MO. No offense to anybody from Springfield...but I have NEVER lived in Springfield...it should read Pea Ridge, Arkanasas. Oh well...and on the opposite page, p. 107, under a publicity photo of the diving bell, it reads that the diving bell was "the amusement industriy's first simulator attraction." Wrong. It was one of the first ones, but Disney had already done something by then, and perhaps a few other places, too.

Only one other complaint, for my $35, I'd like to have seen more bulk to the book..ya know...a bit thicker, more pictures. But I have got to admit, they could enlarge the book four times and still not have enough photos for me!

I recommend picking up a copy if  you can afford to do so. The 50th anniversary year will never pass our way again.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
Might be awhile before I can get mine, but where can you purchase it?
Andymeets1880s

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
 it reads that the diving bell was "the amusement industriy's first simulator attraction." Wrong. It was one of the first ones, but Disney had already done something by then, and perhaps a few other places, too.

I had either read or heard a story the diving bell was tghe industries first and that Disney people actually came to SDC and said originally it could not be done. Not sure if that is true or not.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 08:13:25 AM »
When developing the diving bell concept, SDC contacted Disney to ask about the feasibility of the project. The guy who designed the diving bell at one time worked for Disney, and, apparently theme parks do commonly consult one another...Disney said (this was in 75 or 76) that if the diving bell was built, it would cost many millions of dollars...but probably it was impossible to implement. The technology existed for the diving bell simulator at the time, but had not been applied in such a fashion before. Well, SDC decided to go ahead with the project anyway, built it for about $1.2 million, and the rest is history!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:27:15 AM »
By the way, if you are interested in purchasing the book...check this link:

https://www.onlineeasyads.com/SDCBook/index.php

The book was produced by the Springfield News-Leader newspaper, and the newspaper worked on the project with SDC.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »
I've  been taking a closer look at the photos in the book, and, on page 54, discovered that the photo in the saloon with all the citizens is from spring of 1978 when Burl Ives was on park to shoot the "Burl Ives' America" TV special. Standing at the bar with saloon girls around him is Rex Burdette, who played "Rube Dugan" in the special. Rex is dressed in a shirt and open vest and is wearing a white captain's hat...in the lower right side of the photo you can see some camera equipment. This photo was taken during the scene in which the citizens of SDC enjoy the saloon crew doing the song "Wild Women." This is the first still photo I have ever seen of the production of "Burl Ives' America."

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
I have a photo from the Burl Ives shoot as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/4825124063/