Author Topic: What ever happened.......  (Read 15315 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
What ever happened.......
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:41:26 AM »
I would like to start this off with.........What ever happened to the green trams? I loved getting on the green tram to ride to the gate! My brother and I would ride backwards and thought it was the bees knees! We would actually wait in line for the tram. And last year they were non existant. I think it was last year they stopped using them anyway. It just part of my park experiance. Just like FITH, the Am Plunge and Grandfathers Mansion. I just hate to see the memories go! :-\
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What ever happened.......
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:52:06 AM »

I think it was age adn also the grade they would need to climb to make the new parkilng lot loop.
They just couldnt make it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:41:49 PM »
I too miss the green trams, but the new white ones aren't too shabby. I think 2009 was their last year. What did them in was a combination of ADA, maintainence issues, and like mhguy77 said, the fact that their engines were not powerful enough for the sharper grade of the new lots.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:09:45 PM »

I will admit those green trams seemed to load faster than the new ones.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
We got on one of the busses one day during our trip in June.  It was late in the day and HOT outside.  The bus felt pretty good when we first got on but the bus driver said his A/C had just quit.  By the time we got to our parking lot (it seemed like it was somewhere near the marina at the end of Indian Point!) the bus was so hot it actually felt cooler outside when we got off.  I don't care what color it is just give me an open tram any day over a closed up bus with no air conditioning!  I hope they decided to pull that one off line after that run! 
In His grip!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:34:42 PM »
The trams could not handle the rigourous requirements that the new busses must go through.  The changing of the route was one of the reasons.  Let's not forget how much of a strain it was to climb to Lot A from C turnaround back in the day.  Those hills sure did not get any less steep... if anything they are more steep now.
SWOOSH

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 07:32:41 PM »
still doesnt make the green tram hole n my heart go away!  :'( Its lost in the swirling black hole vortrex that sucked up the waterfall @ grands man. the trail behind the waterfall, the waterboggens and everything just and fair. Put new motors on the green trams for cryin out loud!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 05:42:54 AM »
Didnt they used to run on propane? I loved that smell when i was a kid. Just another smell of SDC!
Live life like it's the last day!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 09:29:25 AM »
i always wanted a SDC candle! but alas still no candle!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 04:47:33 PM »
Next time on park check out the candle shop...I think they might have a 50th anniversary SDC candle that is on the high end of the economic ladder. If I could afford the special stuff, I'd go to each craft shop that had something this year and buy it and squirrel it away.
-
Here's a tip for someone looking for "investment" arts and crafts...I'd recommend getting a basket by Donnie Ellison, glassblown products by the craftsmen, woodcarving by the craftsman, and so on, while they are active and at the top of their game...hold on to it, show it off in your home, someday, well, it might really be worth something. I know I'd love to have some baskets Leslie Jones or his wife made, or somthing Shad Heller made, or Bruce Grimes, the former gunsmith, or Pete Engler, the woodcarver made. Last I heard, Pete Engler had made so much stuff, he had his own warehouse in Branson. If he passes, you'd see his stuff being sold for several years.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 09:36:48 PM »
They do have a 50th anniversary candle.  It's a special sent they developed just for the 50th.  It comes in a glass cup with the 50th logo etched on it. It also comes with a certificate of authenticity.  They have some that are quite reasonably priced. Though I can't remember the price, I know they weren't too expensive because I bought one for my wife! :)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »
what does said candle smell like???? Might pick one up if it has the right "smell" I am going back to the city soon. Wish me luck!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »
All we can say about the scent of the 50th Anniversary candle is...thank goodness they went with the scent that they did! Our research department tells us they toyed with the idea of doing a series of candles on "great city streets of the USA,"  and the Memphis Beale Street candle and the New Orleans Bourbon Street Candle both had a scent that was a combination of human sweat, urine and vomit. Needless to say, they went in a different direction...

--
OK, I'll admit...I was just kidding on that post! (Just a foul smelling joke!) ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:11:13 PM »
It smells like a candle to me. Sorry, I'm just a guy.  ;D

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 08:53:33 AM »
Their 50th Anniversary candle should have been the green tram engine exhaust smell.

Just teasing!  ;D