Author Topic: Live Concerts!  (Read 13711 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: Live Concerts!
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »
Most of the time people just won't believe it's them and the celeb will say "nah, I just look like him".   I had curious guests convinced that Darius Rucker was an investment banker...he appreciated that.  Some are harder than others though.  Paul Rubens and Liza Minelli were picked off right away.   
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »
You've really peaked my interest with this. Can you tell us like a really good story of a celebrity and one "Oh my God" bad story? Like your best and worst celebrity experiences?
Andymeets1880s

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »
Oh, i've got plenty of those but have to be cautious not to tell any stories out of school.   

Just some general stuff that is ok for all audiences and won't incriminate me would be how nice Paris Hilton actually is.  She really kind of blew my mind that wherever we went, she took time to actually thank all the Cast Members who put her on the rides.   Weird!

Now, I can not mention a name here, but one drama queen (a guy) was late by 1-2 hours for all committments (many of these celebrities worked for us for promotional stuff).  He dished on lots of people he knew, asked me to do stuff I shouldn't (pass on double yellow and speed because we were always late) and lit doobies in the back seat on almost every trip we took. 

Just a few of the coolest experiences were walking around with Pee-Wee Herman and hearing him do the laugh and realizing how big of a kid he is.  Geeking out at all the kitschy stuff we have at the parks.  Walking the last remaining Munchkins around and then taking a special ride (just them and no guests) on the Great Movie Ride and having them get out and pose next to their Animatronic selves in the Wizard of Oz scene (the ride is that accurate that they could recognize themselves).  Bill Nye the Science guy -what you see on TV is exactly how he is.   

Sometimes just hearing the stories from the celebs was pretty cool.  I heard (and saw) lots of stuff before it made the press.  Some of it still hasn't  ;).  But I loved that role and still love my job so I better hush.

Ive had quite a few film, tv and music people that I'd consider some of my "wish list" people on tour.  became good pals with some of them and hear from a few of them still.  But now that I see them on TV or in a movie, it kind of ruins it for me because I know how normal, nervous, stressed out, down to earth, neurotic, cranky, whatever they really are. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2010, 10:15:33 AM »
I understand your point Beta on the last post. I am a portrait painter, an I have painted several big names in music and Hollywood. Most are just down to earth, and gracious, but others would blow your mind with their rude demands/ behaviors.

Notably for me was to paint a portrait for a well known American Idol contestant (wether he won or not is not the issue) better was that I have yet to be paid from several years ago for this. i KNOW he has the money. But it was an issue with a manager. Who knows!

My favorite celeb I worked for is Food Networks Alton Brown. He is again, exactly like he is on TV. Quirky, brilliant, and one of the nicest , most sincere, and humorous people I have worked with. It really makes seeing him on TV better, because I know he is not an act.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2010, 10:19:06 AM »
That's awesome!  It's always the science guys who are the most like themselves isn't it?

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 11:33:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing, guys. I have heard through the years that a lot of stars that seem squeaky clean and so nice on tv are the ones that are the real rude and obnoxious ones. And the ones that you think would be real *#!$!@ kind of people are actually the laid back and courteous ones.

Was it really like that for you guys? Did you get a lot of opposite personalities?
Andymeets1880s

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2010, 12:18:23 PM »
A few of those.  Some people paid villains on TV or film (just a role though) and you thought they might be like that but they weren't.  Some you hear were high maintenance or difficult but I think that's more about their expectations and the pace of their lives up to that point and our perspective is a little askew. 

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
My taste in music tends to be a little different than many guys, but like Tony from Tulsa in the TV thread, I'll out myself a bit (no not that way).  The first concert I went to was Alabama and Juice Newton.  I went alone and sat as far away as there were seats.  How sad!

As for others, I have seen Air Supply and Whitney Houston, Barbara Mandrell, Kenny Rogers (twice), Lee Greenwood, Michael Bolton, Oak Ridge Boys, and some others.  Lee Greenwood, during the pinnacle of his God Bless the USA days, was doing something in the same arena when my wife was graduating from high school (before I knew her).  It is said that he asked what was going on.  Someone told him there was a big high school graduation.  Lee arranged, on the fly, to interrupt the graduation and sang God Bless the USA.  I think it was an a capella version of the song.  Can you imagine?

Now you're wondering when the "outing" begins, and that comes here:  I am a fanilow.  I've seen Barry Manilow twice in concert, simply because I love his unique voice.  He was huge in the 70s and early 80s (though you would not know it on the "oldies" stations today).  I have to say his was the best concert, followed by Kenny (back in the day), with lots of focus on the music and not just the lead vocals.  Recently, he has focused on some cover albums, but is expected to release a guitar-driven rock album sometime soon (I know - that sounds weird to me too.).  Besides, there were lots of girls at the concerts who couldn't get their boyfriends to bring them.

Now I'll go tune up the tractor and move some hay before I go on my big game hunting trip.  (Is that what I'm supposed to say to replenish my testosterone, Tony?)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2010, 02:47:24 PM »
Let your freak flag fly HB!   ;D

I like a lot of his stuff too.  I remember my sister growing up in the age of Madonna and N'Sync, etc.   Suddenly at the ripe old age of nine she admitted that she liked Patsy Cline to her friends and you wouldn't believe the reaction she got.  They all liked her too but were just afraid they'd be listed as "squares" or something.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
You guys really wanna feel old?? Get this....

I met Jerry Lewis back in 95' I believe, I may be off a year, but anyway some female in her 20's at the time had asked "why would you want an autograph of the guy that runs the telethon?"

Now if you'll excuse me....time to take my Geritol!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
Having worked in radio for 20 years, I met many celebrities and politicians. Some were great, others real duds in person. I can say without a doubt, some of the Bill Clinton chasing other women stuff is true. Some celebs are very nice, and appreciate being approached by fans, others would not give the time of day. It does no one any good to go into details here, but what I can say is, a celebrity is someone who is just like you and me, he or she is just in an unusual job that pays pretty good money. They have their time in the spotlight, and then they fade away. I spent my time on the fringe of showbiz/media, and I saw a lot. People are people. It's kind of interesting to spend some time around famous folks, but it's really nice to spend time around the ones who realize that they are lucky to be where they are, and are kind to the people who approach them. I've been treated well, indifferently, and rudely by some of these folks. The ones who are rude don't deserve what they have been given.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2010, 07:18:08 PM »
I have to change the direction of the personallities to sports for the moment. While attending the Cardinals Winter Warm-Ups, I had the occasions  of suddenly having Tony LaRousa standing beside me in the middle of the room. He was very happy to pose for a picture.  A few years later, My family ended up in a elevator with Daryl Porter and he acted like he was really scared to be there even though we did not as for anything. Now I know why since a month later he died of drug fever.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »
As a kid, we would see Chuck Berry everywhere, in traffic, at the store (Yes on the news!)

With Darryl Strawberry moving to StL 2 years ago, I come into contact with him all the time.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »
Just to sum up my last thread here....last night was Ted Nugent in Tulsa at Cain's.  That was, without a doubt, the loudest concert I have ever been to.  He is simply too big and too loud for a venue that small.  There was a time or two that I thought my heart was going to quit beating!  It was great to have that "intimate" contact and to be that close to the action, but wowie...it was ripping loud!

Great show and typical "uncle Ted", but my ears are still ringing!  Sad thing is, I'd do it again in a minute!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2011, 02:16:50 PM »
I was able to catch Santana in concert last night in St. Louis. I have been a Woodstock fan (being too young NO I wasn't even born yet!) since  I started guitar at age 13. I cannot tell you how many times I have watched the documentary intently. A bucket list item was to see a Woodstock act, and this easily met that requirement. The show started out a bit rocky with Michael Franti & Spearhead, good band, I just didn't know their material (save for one song). Great showman, good band for a pick me up, feel good vibe.

Santana was a bit rocky as well (any time they start with "new" album material it can be iffy...especially when it is a rap version of AC-DC's Back in Black)

The show was good overall, Carlos was on point all night, but the best, most memorable part of the show was the encore. After all had left the stage, and the lights had gone black, on the big screen behind the stage, the Woodstock documentary began playing the Santana section. It starts with clapping, and banging in unison for about 30-45 seconds...and that was exactly what we did! It was amazing when he started playing Soul Sacrifice even if it didn't last the 11 min like the Woodstock version. So glad I went, and saw him. He is still an amazing guitarist.