Author Topic: Electric scooters  (Read 11998 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Electric scooters
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »
Just curious - Dont they have some ya can rent? And whats the price & rules of the lil' buggies? Dont worry, we couldnt rent any. We would think we are racin' & prob'ly get in trouble. 8)
Live life like it's the last day!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Electric scooters
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:29:21 PM »
The following was found @
http://hfeimages.aristotle.net/General/SDC/Rides%20Guide%201-6.pdf

"WHEELCHAIR AND ECV RENTAL"
Wheelchairs and Electric Convenience Vehicles (ECVs) are available
for rent. The rental booth is located inside the park just past the
turnstiles. A limited number of reservations are taken by calling
1-800-475-9370. Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in
advance of your visit.
All guests using ECVs must follow park rules, the manufacturer’s
guidelines and instructions given to the guest during the rental
transaction. Only one guest per ECV or wheelchair is permitted.
Guests between 16 and 18 years of age must have a parent/legal
guardian at least 21 years of age sign the rental agreement.
Please Note: Due to the terrain of the park, guests using these
devices shall follow the designated pathways outlined in the
park map and instructions given at the time of rental. Leaving the
designated pathways may cause the ECV/Wheelchair to become
unstable.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 07:29:57 PM by rubedugans »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 08:10:08 PM »
I thought they used to be 35.00
I am not sure now.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »
Having broken an ankle this year, and being stuck in an electric wheelchair for a month, I say if someone needs a scooter to get around the park, than OK by me. I would have a problem with someone renting one of these things just to cut into ride lines, or for any other unfair or abusive uses.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:13:18 AM »
If the rules are anything like Wal-Mart then there are no rules.  I also think the goal is to run people over with impunity.   :)

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:21:58 AM »
That is the rules that are followed in the park.  I am in a scooter so get out of my way.  How many times have you been bumped or almost run over by one.  Last summer we were in the park with our grandsons when around the corner here comes the retired hecks angels.  Moving hard and fast they almost ran over our two year old who was standing only two feet away from my wife.  Needless to say it was the as close at  that  scooter and rider came to being a lost river ride.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:54:15 AM »
'The scooters can really be an issue.
I just had a pacemaker put in and before this became unable to walk around SDC without stopping frequently to build up some energy to continue. ( I am not completely out of shape so you wouldn't know this by my appearance)
I could have used a cart, that would have also allowed me to get in line first with my guest but I always thought that was a bad idea, " Bad Karma", It seems when people turn to the chair they don't return to their own 2 feet.
I have had a pacemaker installed and just yesterday was at the city.  It was such a good feeling to be able to walk the SDC terrain again.

2 4-15 year old girls passed me, they were in carts.  Heavy set, way to tight shorts coupled with tank tops held around there shoulders with a string, each lifting ice cream to theirmouths as they operated the carts with another. Bags of Kettle Corn on board.

Its bad karma people, its bad to use your laziness as a excuse to receive preferential treatment.

I am guessing that the people in the booths cant deny those carts to anyone that thrusts 35.00 in there face but boy they should.
I often wonder when I see this type scenario occur if there is a person truly unable to walk being told they are out of carts.
That whole cart thing really bothers me.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:08 AM »
Off topic, but was your broken ankle that bad that you had to stay off it for a whole month?  Did you break both bones in the ankle?

Having broken an ankle this year, and being stuck in an electric wheelchair for a month, I say if someone needs a scooter to get around the park, than OK by me. I would have a problem with someone renting one of these things just to cut into ride lines, or for any other unfair or abusive uses.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »
Yeah...I was walking along a slippery, muddy hillside just after a rain, and, in an instant, fell flat on my back and did such a royal job of screwing up the ankle it took surgery, steel rods, and screws to put it all back together again. I will never pass through airport security again! However, that break happened the last week in April, and I am proud to say I'm walking around...slower...but am getting around well. I was ordered to not bear much weight on it for almost six weeks. I tried crutches and took a serious fall, and took my wife down with me as she tried to catch me. She wound up going to the emergency room on that one. She's ok. I guess at age 47, I will have to give up hopes of being an Olympic sprinter now! (Unless they have an opening at the special olympics!)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Harp

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »
Miss Judy tells one of the funniest stories ever told about the rental scooters in the park.  It is on her CD.
You need to here it first hand. I cannot do it justice.

Harp

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 06:28:19 PM »
I have no tolerance for people turning into obliviots when they get on a scooter. I'm extremely patient and tolerant with someone who has mobility issues, but neither age nor infirmity are an excuse for rude and dangerous behavior.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 07:50:34 PM »
On the other hand, won't it be fun when we all need the scooters!  Then we can run over people and act like we don't know what we're doing - even though, secretly, we will.  ;)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 08:32:14 PM »
I have ranted about this several times on several different threads on this website. I have pointed out bad things about the scooters, and those that abuse them. Scooters hold a great and worthwhile place in allowing everyone to enjoy the beauty and wonder that is SDC. I would hope that everyone using these were for good, and not evil. I have been bruised and battered since my early 20's from a combination of sports injuries, and not taking care of those said injuries in the correct manner (envivion it like talking medication, once toy feel better, you stop taking the prescription-I would rehab until I felt better, and return to athletics-it caught up to me!). Walking sometimes is a chore, and I always pay for it after a day at SDC. I am otherwise in great health, but knowing that someday (maybe sooner than later) y'all will have to get out' the way for a 30 something yr me old blowing down cardiac hill on a cart lets me know that I will be able to see SDC from the other side! I'll bring an air horn don't worry