Author Topic: Nostalgic and Favorite Television Shows  (Read 11794 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Nostalgic and Favorite Television Shows
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:52:40 PM »
It seems I have found mutual Red Green and Andy Griffith fans on here and was wondering if any of you were "King of the Hill" fans? The animated show with Hank Hill, his wife, Peggy and son, Bobby in Arlen, Texas. I watch it at 9 and 9:30 pm on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network and then our local channel in KC, Channel 4, shows two episodes at 12:30a.m. and 1a.m.

Just thought I'd ask, I tell ya' what. Maybe next thread can be about propane and propane accessories. LOL!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 01:32:41 PM by History Buff »
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: King of the Hill fans?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 05:56:29 AM »
I like King of the Hill, as well as Family Guy. King of the Hill was something a nephew turned me on to. Saw it one time and was hooked. Family Guy gets pretty crude at times, but I love the way the show drops in those "pop" references and shocks me. Many fans of these shows will also be Simpsons fans...but for some reason the Simpsons never hooked me. I seldom watch it.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 06:12:38 AM »
I watch King of the Hill when i get a chance. I watch Family Guy too, but i have seen so many of them that most of'm are reruns to me. ::)
Live life like it's the last day!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
I love King of the Hill. I'm not a fan of The Simpsons or Family Guy though. Just never got into it.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »
Haha! I love King of the Hill and Family Guy. The best eps are always when they get special guest stars, like on King of the Hill when Alan Rickman played the king at the RenFest in one ep and Johnny Depp played the yoga instructor in another.

I like South Park, too, but they rarely, if ever, get actual celebrities to do voices for their SP versions.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »
Whoa! Pretty good response so far. Kinda wondered if KOTH would go over much. Tom Petty as "Lucky" was a pretty good move. His voice was perfect for the character!

Mmm hmm, Mmm hmm, Mmm hmm, Yup. Kinda wish you could have a beer with them in the alley, dontcha,  except for Dale's blabbering about aliens!

I like Family Guy too, but some of the jokes about God and Jesus make me a little uncomfortable. There is a line of pushing things a little too far and Seth Macfarlane just destroyed it!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:38:44 PM »
I loved "Johnny Quest" as a kid, but the sterotypical Indian kid would not fly today. I imagine some dog lovers society would protest that "Bandit" was put into too many threatening situtions!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 09:09:47 PM »
Speed Racer was always my #1. Speed Buggy was cool too. ::)
Live life like it's the last day!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 12:04:44 AM »
Ha, Ha! Speed Racer was one of my favs too, Ha Ha, Ahhhhhhhh (some of you will probably get the "Ha, Ha's" and some of you probably wont)

And, as a kid, I found that there was no need to fear because Underdog was always here!!!

Ok...let's really kick in the time machine door! How about H.R. Pufnstuf and Sigmund and the Sea Monsters!!!!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 02:54:29 PM »
Yeah, Andy...you are from my generation. How about Rocky and Bullwinkle? The Bugs Bunny Show? Tennessee Tuxedo, Jetson's, Flintstones, and as long as I'm going here are some of the old regular TV series that were fab for me as a kid...Gilligan's Island, Leave it to Beaver, Munsters, Addams Family, and the #1: Andy Griffith Show!!!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 01:52:45 AM »
I have one show that I thought was hilarious and was written brilliantly but I can never find anyone to agree with me. And that was "Green Acres." The speed at which they could all deliver their lines as fast as they did and the confusion it caused. Most everyone I have said Green Acres to has said they thought it was one of the dumbest or lamebrained ideas. If you listen to how fast Oliver Douglas would get interrupted and the other cast members would deliver their lines so quick to keep that continuity going. Some of the antics and humor was so far out that it really would take some time to come up with the ideas and be able to bounce around the dialogue so quick!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 03:40:43 AM »
I agree...Green Acres was part of Paul Hennings list of great shows in the 60s...Pettycoat Junction and Beverly Hillbillies. He was a hard working, talented man.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 01:31:21 PM »
I concur, as well.  Green Acres may have, in fact be the best of the three.  It was silly because it was supposed to be silly.  Who can say they didn't like the characters in GA?  Mr. Haney, Eb, Ralph and Alf, and the Ziffels.  Mr. Drucker was clearly a better character in this show than in Petticoat Junction.  I would campaign the most for Hank Kimbel to be voted the funniest of all of them.  Alvy Moore revived the character in an episode of Moonlighting, and when he appeared in character, I nearly fell out of my chair.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgic and Favorite Television Shows
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »
I wonder how many takes they had to do sometimes. The way they would go back and forth so fast was great timing, but surely they stepped on each other or got tongue tied. I bet Eddie Albert holds the actors record for most lines never finished on television!
Andymeets1880s

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgic and Favorite Television Shows
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 02:16:52 PM »
My all time fav sitcoms are Andy Griffith Show, I Love Lucy, M*A*S*H, All In The Family, and Roseanne (in the first few years)

Honorable mention for writing to Three's Company. Although it was kinda cheesy and immature, I still cant figure out how a sitcom can run so many years and come up with infinite ways to have characters overhear or misunderstand what they thought was sex.

Andy: was a great moral show and made you feel like SDC does.
All In the Family: could have you on the floor one minute and then drop dead serious the next.
Lucy and Desi: were pioneers. Period.
M*A*S*H: dialogue was masterful.
Roseanne: went through everything we go through as everyday joes
Andymeets1880s