Author Topic: Har-Ber Village  (Read 3157 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Har-Ber Village
« on: July 09, 2010, 06:35:51 PM »
One of the great things about living in the Ozarks were the many distractions aside from Branson.  I had almost forgotten about Har-Ber Village just a bit over the state line in Oklahoma.  We used to go all the time!  This was (and still is) a very odd but quaint collection of "stuff" in old timey displays that you walk through and peer into.

Not sure if anyone else has ever been?

http://www.har-bervillage.com
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
Re: Har-Ber Village
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 06:41:30 PM »
Hey, yeah we've been there. It's been several years, but it's funny, we were just talking about going there just the other day. There are no rides, so I'm not sure my daughter would love it, but as I recall, it's a beautiful, relaxing place to visit.
No matter where you go, there you are.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 06:51:42 PM »
Definitely no rides unless they have added them recently.  What I remember most about the place is the buildings with ODD collections of stuff (one building with taxidermied animals, one with dolls, one like an old general store, etc) and the very soothing smell of that wood that reminds me of vanilla.  Not sure what type of wood that is, but I find that in SDC sometimes too.

Can't beat $3.50 for a ticket to get in either.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
Yeah, Har-ber Village was constructed by Harvey & Bernice Jones, founders of the Jones' Trucking Line. They were multi-millionaires from Springdale, AR.
-
The daughter of Wal-Mart founder Sam Walton is currently putting tens of millions of dollars into the "Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art," being constructed in Bentonville, AR. Top of the line art from the 1700's to present. I've walked around the edge of the property and firmly say that it will be a world class facility. It will be as good as anything in New York, LA, or Chicago. It is located next to Compton Gardens (also great) and will be a major tourist draw for NW Arkansas.
-

"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:04:08 PM »
That's almost my neighborhood Junior!  I've been around the edge of the site as well and can't wait to visit.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 07:26:23 AM »
Just took another walk around Compton Gardens and Crystal Bridges Museum property at Bentonville, AR in the last few days...added a few photos to my Flickr page to show you...it's really nice, and with the two prooperties adjoining one another, this will be worth making a day trip to Bentonville. Compton Gardens is the former home and gardens of the man who "saved the Buffalo River" and helped turn it into a National River Park. Neal Compton is buried in the Pea Ridge Cemetery, about a half mile from my house. Crystal Bridges you can read about above in a previous post.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 07:27:20 AM »
Oh yeah...here's the Flickr site address:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan