Author Topic: Holiday World Splashing Safari  (Read 3704 times)

mogal10

• View Profile
Holiday World Splashing Safari
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:11:54 PM »
To anyone that has never been, I strongly suggest Holiday World.  It is an awesome place.  Went for the first time this year.  They did an awesome marketing plan around our area in Southeast Missouri.  Gave tons of free tickets to radio stations etc this year and I was a lucky winner.  From where I am at it is just a four and a half hour drive.  About the same as Branson for me.  The water park, and the amusement park are all in one park.  Soft drinks, water and tea is always free and so is parking, and sunscreen.  It was a very good experience and going back next year.  In Santa Clause there is one hotel Santas Lodge and One campground, Rudolphs.  Outside of town in other areas there is plenthy of lodging and Lincolns Stae Park camp ground.  
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:28:07 PM by History Buff »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Holiday World Splashing Safari
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:05:51 PM »
Where is Holiday World? Sounds interesting.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:15:02 PM »
Oh...I checked out their Website...Santa Claus, Indiana. It does look fun!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
Holiday World is a fun park to visit. Been there two or three times. It is family owned so it is not overly commercialized.  HW is not as well themed as SDC, but it easily comes in 2nd place as a "family values" type theme park. Plus the free soft drinks and sunscreen is a welcome perk. It would be cool if SDC would use that promotion as well.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:42:35 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Holiday World started out just like SDC, as a little family owned roadside attraction. I remember sending Christmas letters to Santa Claus, Indiana as a little kid. Seems like they had a little place where kids could visit Santa all year round.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 08:31:59 AM »

Free Sunscreen would really be a nice touch. I hate to carry it with me.
Free drinks is great but I can see the loss of revenue and you can get water for free by asking.
I like the free refill cup deal they have at Dollywood. I think its $14 but you get free refills on certain days.
They were giving refills away on the 25th as it was the anniversary. 
If you gave them away on weekdays that would be a nice perk.

mogal10

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »
Junior it is a lot of fun!  Yes they did start out a small Christmas themed park and grew over the years.  I know I was reading that at first in Santa Claus there were two parks and they competed to the point they put each other out of business.  And then the Koch family opened whats now known as Holiday World.  LOL They put a lot of history on their facebook page.  Also I got to go by the Santa Claus Indiana Santa Museum while in Santa and it tells a lot about it.  One of the attractions or buildings from the older park or Santa Land I think it was called is still there in SC Indiana as well the Candy Castle it was pretty cool and free of charge.

I don't know they afford the free drinks.  They have lots of Pepsi stations and Pepsi is on their website, so some sort of deal maybe?

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 12:21:44 AM »
Actually the mark-up on fountain soft-drinks is ridiculous. Including paper cup, plastic lid and straw, each 12oz soda costs the company about 15 cents. And I'm sure Holiday World has some kind of marketing deal with Pepsi, so it may even be less than that.  I would love to see SDC adopt this approach, though I know they would loose a lot of revenue (-1.35 on each 1.50 refill). But how could anybody complain about food prices when they are getting free drinks!?!

mogal10

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »
Holiday world may not be putting out to much though.  I know when I went it was hot, so other than when I had meals I chose water from the fountain to stay hydrated.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »
I agree with all the positive comments about Holiday World and Splashin Safari.  My family gets over there a few times each summer and has a blast.  The waterpark is one of the best in the country with all the latest rides and attractions.  The progress the park has made in the last 15 years is truly amazing.  As mentioned earlier, the park is owned by the Koch family and sadly this past June, Will Koch, the son who was President and CEO (and the one with the vision who really grew the park), died suddenly and unexpectedly.  It was a very sad time for everyone involved with the park.  Will's younger brother Dan has taken over as President and CEO.  It will be interesting to see the path the park travels down the next few years.  Here's wishing the Koch family the best with hopes they continue the expansion and growth Holiday World and Splashin Safari have experienced the past several years.  They truly have a wonderful family destination.