Author Topic: Your top 10 favs at SDC  (Read 6801 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Your top 10 favs at SDC
« on: July 08, 2010, 04:58:49 PM »
Ok, folks....yes, it's another "top" list and I thought I would put you on the spot with this one! I have seen you put your favorite rides and eats on here, but now we are going to RANK them! Har, har, har!
I am not allowed for this as I have visited SDC only three times in my 41 years and havent hit everything like you all have. But I thought it might be fun to have you make a top ten list of your fav places at SDC. Not top ten eats AND top ten rides. This is top ten all time period and in order!
  Let me put it this way.....you can only visit the park ONE last and final time for the rest of your life. Where would you go first? Second? Where would you eat? And when?

This should make you commit to the places you love so dear. I bet you never quite thought of it this way!

Instead of working from ten to one, start with number one and work to ten. Where would go first and what would you end the last visit with?? THIS should prove to be quite interesting!

And ONLY ten! No monkey business, Junior! LOLOL!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:06:35 PM by Andymeets1880s »
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Your top 10 favs at SDC
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:28:27 PM »
Man, oh man! Too much pressure for me on this one...I'd like to think Heaven looks a lot like SDC, it's too hard for me to rank everything on park. I LOVE IT ALL!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:36:23 PM »
1.  Stop for a while and soak in the transition moment from the Hospitality House to the Square (this includes the big whiff of tar covered pavement and soothing strains of bluegrass)

2.  Spend a few hours visiting Aunt June and the rest of my candy family in the Candy Factory basement.

3.  Walk over to mid town to smell the fresh baked bread at Sullivan's Mill and then dip a candle at Carrie's Candles (again, it's all about the smells for me)

4.  Take a looong time walking through Grandfather's Mansion.

5.  Not sure where this fits, but take a million photos of obscure crevices, corners, sidings, signs and interiors of all the places I see.

6.  Ride Fire in the Hole and (again) soak in every second of that musky, musty smell of the queue area, load and ride.

7.  Have lunch at Big Jack's and think about the thousands of times I've waited in that elevated queue and sat in that dark dining room devouring my big jack sandwich.

8.  Walk around the McHaffie homestead area and pretend, pretend, pretend that it's really 1880.

9.   Hang out in the OMP and tram area listening to all the people quoting lines from their day riding the train, watching the craftsmen and reliving their experiences of the day.

10.  Find Timothy Turnbuckle and hijack his time machine which makes the finality of this last day ever not so sad after all.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:32:12 PM »
Not everything, Junior! Just ten! You have been told that you can only go TEN places in this last visit!
What would you go to first, second, where would you end your last visit? C'mon...I know you can do this! LOLOL!
Andymeets1880s

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »
1 Fire in the hole
2 PowderKeg
3 Funnel Cake with Powdered sugar only ( I'll take my funnel cake " Traditional" please)
4 Flooded Mine
5 Train
6 Carrie Nation Saloon Show
7 Diving Bell
8 Thunderation
9 Float Trip
10 Replay of "For the Glory"

You didn't stipulate that I couldn't time travel my way through SDC history you said to choose my favorites. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 07:05:51 PM by mhguy77 »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
Don't fall for it, Junior!  You don't want to make other parts of the park jealous.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:43:42 PM »
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »
1  Cruise the Hospitality House
2  Walk thru the cave
3  Ride the train
4  Sit at the creek right up from the knife makers shop where i asked my woman to marry me
5  Powderkeg
6  Giant Swing
7  Flooded Mine
8  Fire in the Hole
9  Buy as much apple butter as possible
10  Sit by the big logo at the front gate for afew hours & take pictures, talk of past visits until we couldnt handle it anymore. Then just get up & get the heck out'a there.... :'( 
Live life like it's the last day!

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:40:56 PM »
1. Powder Keg
2. Wildfire
3. The Wagonhouse burger place up front.
4. Fire in the Hole
5. cinninmon bread at Sullivans Mill.
6. Train
7. Cave (the lantern tour!)
8. a root beer float at Hannahs ice cream parlor.
9. The Giant Barn Swing
10. stare and take photos in front of the logo.....then cry. :'(
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:41:45 PM by maddilives4him »
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

pintrader

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 07:38:24 PM »
1. Get there early to watch opening ceremonies because this is the true heartfelt meaning of the park.

2. Get down to FITH and ride as many times as I can before a line starts to form.

3. Go ride the train and reminisce, because the train was my first real memory of the park.

4. Would have to make one last trip thru the old Flooded Mine.

5. Go to the Lumbercamp and have an All-American, which includes burger, fries, apple pie and a coke.

6. Walk over to the waterfall and try to walk behind it one last time (like it was a long time ago).

7. Walk over to Miller's Bridge and cross it one more time.

8. Find a crowbar and pry off the door to the treehouse, so I could take one last look inside.

9. Take one last cave tour for old time sake.

10. Then I would go to the Marketplace and jump into that old vehicle they got parked inside. If I got it started, drive it thru the nearest exit into the parking lot. Then get arrested and go to jail (Hopefully the sdc jail).

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 06:02:37 AM »
1.  Park in the "c" parking lot and walk up to the gate, looking at all along the way.
2.  Get a pecan roll at the bakery.
3.  Marvel cave
4.  Candy store
5.  Get a frozen lemonade and kettle corn
6.  Wildfire til I'm semi-conscience
7.  Fire in the Hole
8.  Wilderness Church
9.  Hospitality House
10. Beg them to find me a green tram that I can bump my head on going back to "c".
Vote to end 2020!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 08:28:59 AM »
I miss the green trams
Did they load faster than the white?Iknow they loaded faster than the busses.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 12:57:48 PM »
betamike, your list sounds verrrry familiar!

1. I like to gaze at the Water Clock and figure out what year of the 1800's I'm in before stepping into the park.

2. We always go during the Harvest Festival because we love the fall decorations and the changing colors of the leaves. I love taking it all in while walking through the city.

3. We book it to the Apple Butter Shop to get ourselves a tasty apple turnover with apple butter on top. I hope we remember to take a sharp left instead of heading to the Plunge!

4. I think I could stay in the area encircled by Grandfather's Mansion, Carrie's Candles and Sullivan's all day long. The smell of flour and candle wax is the epitome of SDC smells. I dip a candle every visit and try to master the multiple colors effect. We can't leave the park without a piece of cinnamon bread. I love to watch Grandfather peek out from behind the curtains - this scared me as a little kid.

5. After a walk across the swinging bridge, I stop and watch the water mill contraption on the side of Sullivan's.

6. The very first scene of Fire in the Hole - the smell, the sounds, the change temperature put a huge smile on my face!

7. Drinking a root beer float at the Saloon show and seeing who gets the RESERVED table.

8. It is a goal of mine to always be the first taste tester of the peanut brittle.

9. Pulling a cold Sarsaparilla out of the barrel of ice at the train station and sipping on it while waiting for the train.

10. My favorite snack at SDC are the cheese slices and sausage from the General Store. They are sliced and wrapped in plastic wrap. An economic pick-me-up during the middle of the day. You'll see them right under the cash register.

I can think of many more but these are my faves for sure! And sigh, the green trams were once the highlight of my trip, too.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
^ I like your list too Haytater!
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 06:43:23 PM »
Haytater?  You look suspiciously like that Smoke-on-the-Water person!  What happened?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating