Author Topic: OH-KY Bridge  (Read 2946 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
OH-KY Bridge
« on: November 08, 2007, 12:59:49 AM »
I thought you might get a laugh out of this...

Bridge Climb May Be Back
Purple span seeks new operator
BY MIKE RUTLEDGE

NEWPORT - Operators of the Purple People Bridge that spans the Ohio River from Newport to Cincinnati hope to have people climbing the bridge again this spring.

Wally Pagan, president of Newport Southbank Bridge Co., said his non-profit organization has enough funding to keep maintaining the pedestrian bridge at least five years. But it wants to increase revenues so it can afford long-term maintenance, such as painting. The former L&N Railroad Bridge once conveyed trains and automobiles.

Pagan denied a rumor that Herschend Family Entertainment, which is performing due diligence for a possible purchase of the nearby Newport Aquarium, hopes to erect a roller coaster on the bridge.

Herschend operates Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tenn., and other attractions, including several in Branson, Mo.

"We're still going through some due-diligence work, and it's still proceeding as it was," said Herschend spokeswoman Valerie McCarty. McCarty said she had not heard about plans to build a roller coaster on the bridge.

Pagan said he didn't see how a roller coaster could fit on the span. The possibility of putting shops on the bridge also has been mentioned, but it would be difficult to get utilities out to the center of the narrow span, he said.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: OH-KY Bridge
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 07:14:45 PM »
Arrow Fishhook, anyone?  ;D It would actually work there, so long as the valley is long/deep enough.

I love the idea of the Herschends putting roller coasters at its random, non-ride geared attractions though. The Showboat would do great with a vekoma roller skater rocketing around its decks, and they could entangle the Dixie stampedes with Launched coasters. Don't get me started on the aquarium...

On a serious note though, do the Herschends own this bridge, or did the rumor come about just because they bought the local aquarium?