Author Topic: The next coaster (SDC)  (Read 29557 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
The next coaster (SDC)
« on: July 14, 2007, 02:24:17 PM »
Everyone loves these topics, right?
Well, anyway, we've got plenty of hope to go towards SDC's next coaster. It's been said that SDC's next major investment will come in 2009, and it's also been said that by the time SDC hosts the ACE 2009 coaster con, they'll be plenty of coasters to enjoy (it was implied that there would be more than they have now).
So yeah, we're apparently on the verge of getting a new coaster, but seeing as we have a good selection of them already, what will they shoot for with this one?

We all know DW just got a Gerstauler (sp?) Euro-fighter, but the reviews aren't so good, it's capacity is somewhat low, and it just plain cost a ton at $17 million. We could get one eventually, but I don't think anytime soon, and I think ours will be drastically different.

Most people, including myself, are guesstimating that they'll go back to GCII for another crazy woodie, resembling something like Thunderhead at DW, but hopefully bigger and wilder.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 08:30:26 PM by shavethewhales »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: The next coaster
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 03:35:56 PM »
I'd like to see either an inverted like Patriot or one of those flying coasters like the Superman one where you've got your stomach facing the ground like you're actually flying.

My idea is for one of the abovementioned flying coasters themed to go in and out of a Marvel Cave-type structure and have the backstory be that we're experiencing the flight of the bats who live in Marvel Cave.

I don't think we'll be getting a Euro-fighter, and if we do, it won't be for a long time, once they've worked out what is disliked about Mystery Mine.

I think a woodie sounds the most plausible for the next coaster--been hearing rumors of one for a while now.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The next coaster (SDC)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:03:07 PM »
I love the idea of Silver Dollar City getting a wooden coaster. But I also love this other rumor I've heard. I am a frequent visitor to the RCT3 forums, my name is kc_rc_fan, where people post their parks or rides they've built. (Joy, I have seen you floating around there often).

Anyways, there is a member there who's husband works for Herschend as a designer (Don't quote me on this because I don't know his exact job title or anything) but she once posted a roller coaster that was going to be put into a park in 2009 (the same year SDC is supposedly getting a new coaster). She has not said what park it's going into but I think the pictures she has posted and the Youtube video she gave just screams Silver Dollar City.

Note: All pictures and the video are RCT3. None of it is concept pictures, models, or artists rendering.

RCT3 Link--Pictures, backstory:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588509&highlight=shibang%21

Youtube Video Link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8LR1uaeD9VU

I really hope this ride becomes a reality at Silver Dollar City because it would make a great addition to the park. What do you guys think?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:25 PM »
^I'm going to go ahead and be really skeptical about the thought of SDC getting a Vekoma of any type, much less a tilting lift model. Talk to a few enthusiasts like myself, and you'll find in a jiffy that Vekoma's name is mud, and SDC wouldn't go for a company with that type of reputation. Their rides are almost always painful, and not in a 'rough fun' kind of way.

Besides, SDC doesn't have the land available for such a ride, although that RCT model could hardly be less accurate...

Even if it were possible for them to go with Vekoma, there are just too many other manufacturers out there that are better and have good relations with the Herschends. B&M, S&S, and GCII are all on very good terms with SDC, so why would they go with a foreign company with terrible ratings?

Btw, the Herschends don't exactly have designers, they outsource almost all of that. 

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:56:55 PM »
I am a frequent visitor to the RCT3 forums, my name is kc_rc_fan, where people post their parks or rides they've built. (Joy, I have seen you floating around there often).

Oh, hi there! I remember you! Gosh, I don't think I've been on the RCT boards since some time in May... Man, I'm gonna have a LOT to catch up on....

Anyways, there is a member there who's husband works for Herschend as a designer (Don't quote me on this because I don't know his exact job title or anything)

Oh, yeah, I remember her! She's the one who was doing the Blazing Fury recreation.

That's a fun looking coaster! Now, is Vekoma the only company that makes that type of coaster, or are there other more reputable companies that have a similar coaster in their repertoire?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »
Oh, hi there! I remember you! Gosh, I don't think I've been on the RCT boards since sometime in May... Man, I'm gonna have a LOT to catch up on....

Yeah, you have missed A LOT. I think I PMed you a couple times there.

That's a fun looking coaster! Now, is Vekoma the only company that makes that type of coaster, or are there other more reputable companies that have a similar coaster in their repertoire?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

I really don't know if their the only company. But if Silver Dollar City doesn't like them, then I doubt it's going to happen. Maybe shavethewhales knows....

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:19:33 PM »
Eh, no one really makes coasters like Vekoma anymore, and even if someone did, they'd still be a very unlikely possibility.

Heres an idea though: maybe S&S submitted a crazy new proposal to SDC that resembles something like a Vekoma Thrill Lift. It's a stretch, especially when S&S is wrapped up with other projects right now, but it could theoretically happen.

S&S, if you aren't aware, is the firm responsible for the Giant Swing and Powderkeg. They also own what's left of Arrow Dynamics, the firm responsible for ThuNderaTion and Tennessee Tornado. While it's very unlikely that S&S would ever try anything resembling a thrill lift, it's not completely out of the question, at least if you really want to daydream about it. After all, they went out of their way to do something new when they built Powderkeg... but that was more of a standard coaster.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:26:29 PM »
S&S is a great company. I would love for them and SDC to hook up again.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 02:35:56 PM »
S&S rocks. It'd be awesome for them to make another coaster for SDC!

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 10:48:33 PM »
So I've been wondering: Both S&S and GCII are in really good relations with the park, and both S&S and GCII make good wooden coasters, so which would SDC trust for a woodie? I would think GCII since they focus on woodies, but S&S has the environmental edge, and SDC may want something a little different from Ozark Wildcat...

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 10:15:50 PM »
I bet they'd go with S&S for the environment.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 01:00:07 AM »
^Yeah, but they had the choice to go with S&S before but didn't... then again, that was before Powderkeg. I dunno, I'm still waiting to see whether S&S will pull out something completely different for SDC, such as a new inverting coaster or, more likely, a log flume.   

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 11:35:21 PM »
^But they have American Plunge. Why would they get another log flume?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 04:26:25 PM »
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. Then again, who says they can't have two similar attractions? Most SF parks these days will have both a log flume and something along the lines of a mack supersplash.

Anyway you look at it though, it looks like SDC is due for anther water ride. SDC only has about 3 water rides as it is, and they are all very popular. S&S is a trusted name, and they just happen to be getting into the water ride business. Besides, Dollywood is getting a splash battle next year so, maybe, just maybe we'll end up with something along those lines before we ever see a new coaster.

I'm still going to keep my hopes up for a woodie in 2009 though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 04:27:40 PM by shavethewhales »

Eagle Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 08:04:18 PM »
DW just got a Gerstauler (sp?) Euro-fighter, but the reviews aren't so good

I loved MM when I rode it last May.  Actually I've heard nothing but good about the coaster.  The ride is super fun, especially the double heartline roll after the second drop.  Also the theming is top notch.  What's not to like?  The wait wasn't that long even though the que was nearly full.