Author Topic: The next coaster (SDC)  (Read 29887 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: The next coaster (SDC)
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2007, 10:22:03 PM »
^Re-reading my earlier post, I realize how bitchy that sounds. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I do see how new areas can fit into the park, provided it is still part of the city, which I'm sure they will be.

Anyway, where are they going to put this thing? We've heard the rumor about Echo Hollow being replaced, but I don't see this happening. A new amphitheater is probably in their plans for sometime in the future, but I don't think they want to take out their biggest venue yet.
There are expansion points behind TGS and the Grand Expo, as well as by the homestead I believe, but it's hard to tell which one of these could harbor a project of this magnitude.

They use magic to position stuff at SDC though, I was astounded at the way they slid TGS in there this year. 

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2008, 10:31:27 PM »
^I've never been able to sit through a whole show at Echo Hollow. The shows just seem boring there. All the other shows in the park are entertaining though ;D

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 06:12:25 PM »
^Actually an inverted coaster wouldn't be hard to theme at all. Heck, if nothing else, they can go back to using the Dr. Hartio Harris (sp?) theme.

THis doesn't sound like a bad idea. They could build the loop to Powder Keg by adding another coaster here. It could be another Dr. Haratio themed coaster. They could add a flat ride or two to this area as well. I don't hate the idea...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:13:07 PM by Copper »

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.669830,-93.340200&spn=0.003192,0.002951&t=k&hl=en

While looking at the map from google, I am not under the impression that a coaster will fit unless the path really curves down into the valley.  It surprises me that the paths are so close. . . I would never have guessed.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
I guess I was thinking to put the coaster in the wooded area and the entrance would be located between PK and WF. There would be room for the Shot Tower ride in this area near PK; it could be built above the waterfall. I think they might have to rebuild the falls to do this though. They could also build permanent shops along PK rather then the semi-permanent ones they have now. Finishing the loop would help with the awkward bottle neck that happens near the American Plunge entrance. I wouldn’t mind seeing a better entrance for the Plunge either, it gets lost in the shuffle. People ask where the entrance is all the time even when they are standing right in front of it. Plus it would be more ground for guests to cover at SDC. 

If they would build a Mystery Mine type of ride I think that building it under and on the other side of the Waterboggan (currently M&C employee parking) would be an imaginitive use of space. If they went with a “Creature from the Creek” theme this damp forested area could play well with the theme. Also it wouldn’t be taken up space that otherwise could be utilized in a different way.   

I still think that one day they should open up the land that is on the other side of Lake Silver where M&C offices and warehouses are currently.

Just some ideas.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 05:24:01 PM »
I find it weird that they have employee parking inside the park by the Waterboggan. Shouldn't it be by guest parking just closer on the way out so they don't have to wait in line to leave on busy nights?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
Well, The Expo and this parking lot I am talking about use to be the bottom half of the parks parking lot. The top half still parks in A-west which might soon change. They moved the bottom half’s across HWY 76 when they built the expo and now shuttle employees back and forth.

Sounds confusing???

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 07:17:35 PM »
I'm really starting to think that they'll build off of Shanty-town instead, it's just such a perfect place for something big: it's straight off the main square,   there's a good size area, and they can revitalize the cool stuff that's already there. Plus, if they build that corner of the park up with another huge ride, it'll be even more of thrill-junkie bottle neck than it already is.

I do wish they would expand the path around there though, maybe filling it up with some new shops/eateries. That valley down below it is just prime for something.

Btw, anyone notice that they have a new-ish staging area behind the new employee parking lot?

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 07:42:25 PM »
Are you calling the Homestead area shanty town? I don’t think they will build in this area due to the major portions of cave that are below it. The cave environmentally has gone through a lot due to SDC and I don’t see them trying to cause anymore harm to the cave, but then again they might build there, it is a large gradually sloping are.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »
^Ah yes, I had forgotten about the cave, this came up the last time we talked about this I think, maybe even in this same thread...

In that case, the only ways forward are off the 3 major expansion heads and around lake silver. Again, they want to spread out the major attractions away from the PK/Wildfire loop, so they won't build off that corner unless they plan on a major extension. They probably won't use up any land around the Grand Expo either, as they'll want to save that for things like a new show (maybe a circus type of thing) and a major new flat ride like the Frissbee we almost got.
So really, the best area for any new major expansion looks like beyond Wilson's farm, though I'm not sure about the topography there.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
I agree that would be a good are, but it would have to loop up with Geyser Gulch. Behind the GBS is a hill that extends down quite a bit. It is the location of the animal corral for the park (storage of mules, dogs...) and the Gardner’s shed where they bring all the flowers and trees for the park. If you avoid going down to that and up towards the train the only other place is up to the other side of Lake Silver. I am all for this expansion. The major barrier for this project would be relocating the Maintenance & Construction Warehouses. This could possibly be moved across the street someplace near the employee parking. I am sure they wouldn’t mind some new facilities. 

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 11:53:24 AM »
I had heard a rumor (several years ago) that SDC was going down the hill from the Homestead area.  As I was walking by the canon that sits across from the church, I've always wondered if they would consider building a zone "celebrating" the Confederacy.  Cabins and a wooden coaster might be able to crafted into this theme.  Personally, I don't want to see them deal with the subject of Civil War.  As a northerner living in the Ozarks, Dixie Stampede is about the greatest sense of humor that I can muster about the subject.   :-\While I love Fire in the Hole for the technical excellence that it represents, its theming gets dangerously close to a difficult subject.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »
I can't imagine them dealing with the Civil War, seeing as how the theme of the park is two decades after the war officially ended.

As for expansion... How much land does Herschend own? I mean, on that satellite picture, I see a lot of land out beyond the Homestead as well as beyond WF & PK and around the outer portions of the train track. How far does the land go?

And I've always been curious: once the 99-year lease on Marvel Cave is up in 2049, what happens then? Who actually *owns* the cave at the moment?

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2008, 04:50:34 PM »
The Lynch sisters willed the land to the First Presbyterian church of Branson and the College of the Ozarks. Terms for the 99 year lease called for a yearly payment of $5,000 or 10% of the ticket sales, which ever number was greatest. The lease started April 1, 1950. The Herschend family and the McMaster’s were partners for a short time then the Herschends bought them out. I know they have already worked the lease out. It has been quite a while since they dealt with that issue.

As for how much do they own, I don’t remember the exact number, but it was large. I have walked from the Church down the hill to the lake and SDC owns all of that. That space would be ample for expansion, but I have never heard them talk about expanding in this area (This would affect the Cave). I have heard expanding between Powder Keg and Wildfire. At one time they said they wanted to have that area be the “Thrill Ride” section of the park. I have even heard them talk about removing Echo Hollow like I had said in a different post. There is a lot of good land in that section that is not used. I agree with Steve, it wouldn’t be wise to remove there largest venue, so this would probably mean they would build a new one in a different area, but where?

I agree no Civil War themed area. Missouri was too mixed up during that time frame. As for Baldknobbers, they are a part of Marble Cave history. They burned the mining town of Marmaros down, so I can allow that. They do need to do a better job in the queue line and make it clear that they are not the KKK, I have listened to people complain about that. The Balknobbers, I am sure didn’t like anyone who is not 100% the same as them. I have not, however heard that they made any racial claims. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2008, 06:40:35 PM »

As for how much do they own, I don’t remember the exact number, but it was large. I have walked from the Church down the hill to the lake and SDC owns all of that. That space would be ample for expansion, but I have never heard them talk about expanding in this area (This would affect the Cave). I have heard expanding between Powder Keg and Wildfire. At one time they said they wanted to have that area be the “Thrill Ride” section of the park. I have even heard them talk about removing Echo Hollow like I had said in a different post. There is a lot of good land in that section that is not used. I agree with Steve, it wouldn’t be wise to remove there largest venue, so this would probably mean they would build a new one in a different area, but where?

Hmmm, I kind of hope they aren't still holding to the idea of keeping all the thrill rides in one place. There is something to be said about keeping rides from overgrowing into SDC's atmosphere too much, but as we saw with TGS, there are better ways to do that than keeping them all bunched in a corner.

Echo Hollow is over 25 years old now, and though it holds around 4,000, I'm sure it's not as well equipped as a new amphitheater could be. I wouldn't be surprised if they have plans to use one of the valleys for a new, larger one soon. Even if they did though, Echo Hollow would still very valuable as it would still be useful for a lot of major productions. So, I really can't see it going anytime soon.

Say, does anyone have a map or something that shows where Marvel Cave really is? I mean, does it really stretch all the way down the valley? Does Wildfire go over part of it?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:41:36 PM by shavethewhales »