Author Topic: World of Fun New Ride  (Read 5762 times)

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
World of Fun New Ride
« on: October 11, 2007, 01:50:31 AM »
As of two years ago, the speculation was that Worlds of Fun was looking at building another woodie for the 2008 season.  But. . .with all the action over at Guena Lake, this rumor is getting put to bed. . . at least I would think.  The rumor that replaced it was that GL's floorless coaster might possibly be coming.  But that rumor was replaced with the idea of the floorless coaster going to King's Dominion.  So what would that leave Worlds of Fun with for 2008?  I know that WOF will announce soon, but does anyone want to put their bet's down. Here's my guess:  a flat ride from GL.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: World of Fun New Ride
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »
I'd place my bet on their gondola wheel thing (Americana?).

~ "Becky" Joy ~

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 11:08:04 AM »
Well, even though the trains are gone, we could still hold out for Villan  ;D

Really though, I hope WOF gets one of the good woodies from GL, especially the Big Dipper. I dunno about Raging Wolf Bobs, what with the incident on it. Sigh, that was such a classic design.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 05:43:43 PM »
Does Worlds of Fun even have enough land for another woodie?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Eagle Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »
My hpoe is that WOF will build a GCI in 2009.  Then MO will be the GCI capital of the world and I will be one happy coaster enthusiast!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 08:06:29 PM »
Hmmm, but with SDC, SFStL, and CC having built woodies all in recent times, won't the charm be kinda rubbed off? WoF could use a woodie, but I dunno, a Floorless or a launched coaster might be just as good.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 08:28:45 PM »
OOOhh!! A launch coaster would be awesome!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Eagle Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »
A woodie for WOF in 09 has been rumored and Cedar Fair went with GCI already so I think the chances are pretty good.  Plus GCI coasters are inexpensive compared to steel. 

^^And when did SDC build a woodie?  Also, the charm of a new wooden coaster never wears off.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:42:44 PM by Eagle Rider »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 10:12:11 PM »
SDC hasn't built a woodie yet, but come on, they've all but come out and said that one is coming in 2009. Then again, things change pretty massively at SDC in the space of a couple of years, so I could be wrong.

Never-the-less, wooden coasters have been really popping up lately, and though most everyone is happy about that, from a marketing perspective it may feel like a crowded market. I mean, from the GP perspective, a woodie is a woodie - they all look and feel much the same, whereas a steel coaster can be quite a few things. It just looks better on the brochures and billboards to have something different than what the other park across the state is doing, or what the other park on the other side of the state did last year, ect.

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 11:22:30 PM »
I know that this would never happen but this summer I rode "The Italian Job" and I really enjoyed it.  Maybe something with some fast acceleration weaving through the woods in the place of Boomerang.  To be really honest, I wouldn't mind if WOF obtained the double looper from Guana Lake(sp) and put it in the place of Boomerang.  The bottom line. . . get rid of Boomerang and replace it with something that has some heritage. 

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 11:40:03 AM »
Woah- how about this.  Kings Dominion is rumored to be losing Supersonic.  Is it possible that is could be moved to WOF?  Possible 2009?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 08:04:35 PM »
Nah... I think CF wants that out of the chain. It's a crappy ride with crappy problems - and honestly, it doesn't compare with anything else out on the market. One big hill - then it's over. TTD has a more exciting layout, even without being 400 ft. tall.

I'd say to keep hoping for that GCII, though if I had to guess I would speculate that a major flat would be more likely this year.