Author Topic: The "aura" of SDCFans.com  (Read 3526 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
The "aura" of SDCFans.com
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:59:15 AM »
Good evening, folks. I have not been on here very long and have greatly enjoyed every minute I have been on here. I just wanted to express to all of you my thoughts of the "aura" of this site. I believe wholeheartedly that even though some of you know each other personally and some of you dont, there would be no doubt in my mind that if we put together a get-together of food and visiting at SDC or just a regular park, everyone would be treated as family like we knew each other for years. There is a common thread that runs through all of our forum threads and that is the warmth and welcoming aura of this entire site. You all seem like very friendly and unique people that are rare in this time and age. I know I may sound syrupy or sappy, but it seems to me that there is no age, sex, belief or religion here. Just the commitment of everyone finding their spirit and peace on a common ground and that is to be commended. I feel like I could shake hands, hug or give a slap on the back to any one of you and it would returned in kind. I have been going through a lot personally and, frankly, it has taken a toll on me both physically and mentally. This site has been a getaway and a place of peace for me to come and read everyone's trip reports, get a laugh from these lists I keep coming up with or to take in the memories of sights, sounds and smells. It has brought smiles and a deep sigh by falling into my imagination. Just this small time here has had quite an impact on me and I like being here better than being on FaceBook. The aura of SDC is made not only by the parks surroundings and places, but also because of the people like you. I look forward to many more hours, months and years here and hopefully we can all bring an idea of not only the perks, but maybe a reunion as well! This is a great place to feel home and it's foundation is built on God. Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:09:46 PM by History Buff »
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: The "aura of SDCFans.com
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:15:15 AM »
Andy, you are a good  member here. We all appreciate your comments. SDC has a special aura. I've only seen that aura at one other place...Magic Kingdom Orlando...It is an international destination, I frequently stood in lines at the park in 1996 where people from the Middle Eastern countries in traditional dress got along fine with Europeans, Americans, and others. I heard Spanish, German, English in various forms, Japanese, Korean, and Middle Eastern languages being spoken. Everyone got along fine. There were no fights, no troubles. Everyone had a smile on their face, they used courtesy. Everyone that day was a citizen in a world of Disney. That same feeling is present in SDC. It's too bad that the rest of the world cannot behave the same way. We folks at SDCFans.com are part of a big family, too. We promote SDC via Internet and word of mouth. We encourage others to visit this special place called SDC. Generations of our families and friends have visited. Though we sometimes have concerns about the direction the park leaders go at times, comments that are critical are made in an effort to hopefully keep things on track, so too much change does not come too quickly, and so the things that keep the park special will be  kept in place. You are not employed at SDC, but yet you are by means of your continued patronage and love for the place, a citizen. Howdy, citizen Andy!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:54:05 AM »
This was a good thread to start. It makes me remember that no matter your age, sex, or religion, like you mentioned Andy, were all here because we love SDC. I've got a quick story. Just yesterday, my cousin told me that I just have an obsession with a "theme park in the hills beside a party city" as he put it. When he said this he made me pretty mad, but when I come to SDCfans, I always know that I'm not the only person who has an SDC obsession. ;) Thankyou to the members on this website! ;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:54:39 AM by maddilives4him »
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 11:45:41 AM »
Well, maddi...I wouldnt say obsession. I would say "passion." The likes and loves of the park by everyone here is rooted in the heart and from a spirit of finding peace and a healthy happiness and joy through wholesome fun. I believe obsession is too strong a word. But passion is the absolute right word!
Andymeets1880s

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: The "aura" of SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »
Funny you used the word sappy.  I was going to tease some of you about being sappy, but then realized that I'm one of ya.  In the end, SDC is not the perfect place, and we would survive if it went away, BUT it has given a lot of people common ground and camaraderie.  We are partners here.  Rarely do the moderators have to intervene to keep things clean or unoffensive, rarely are there PG words or discussions, and rarely do spammers and their ilk have to be removed.  That's something we should be proud of.  I don't even look at all the comments at SDC's Facebook, but I think our comments are more constructive and even more positive (without being sycophantic) than theirs.  We can be proud that such a community has evolved from shavethewhales' vision.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »
Great comments HB!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:17:47 PM »
All i can say is that i used to look at SDCs website all the time & wish they had a message board. We even thought about join'n the Moms Blog thing, but this is site is much better. I am soo glad i found it, all of ya'ns are pleasant to talk to.

A mexican guy i work with is going to SDC in Aug., i gave him their website so he can look around. I'm helping him as much i can to get there without too much trouble. We got sucker'd into one of them time share things once just so we could see Spirit of the Dance, what a disaster!! That is 1 story i dont wanna tell.... I dont want it to happen to him.
Live life like it's the last day!

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:22:56 PM »
Andy-you took the words right out if my mouth. Great thread and God bless. Everyone has made me feel very welcome here as well. Though my knowledge of the park is far inferior to most avid SDC fans,(I'm mostly relying on my childhood memories) I still feel the same warmth and feeling of being "home" on this site as I do when I walk through the turnstile at Silver Dollar City. As for other social networking sites, I only have a myspace page to have a place online to share my music. And I wouldn't touch Facebook with a ten foot pole. I don't feel like arguing politics and religion with my relatives, friends and strangers. Oy. This is a wonderful site with a positive feel and a common bond. I'm honored to be counted as a pal to you guys as well. Cheers.
No matter where you go, there you are.