Author Topic: Top ways you know you have been at SDC too much  (Read 26555 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Top ways you know you have been at SDC too much
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
Tee hee  :D
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Harp

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 03:48:47 PM »
68.  You throw your head back and bay like a coon dog when your in the middle of a mall or maybe even in church.  Thanks Danny Eakin for the inspiration!

Harp

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »
69. When you hear of suspicious fires on the news, you point at the TV and say "I'll bet it was those dang BaldKnobbers!"

70. When you see footage on the news of flooded areas, you wonder why you dont see any convicts bailing water.

71. You ask the SDC office if there are "lifetime" passes!

72. You try to buy a plot in the FITH cemetery.
Andymeets1880s

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 06:55:33 AM »
Lifetime passes......hmmmm
73.  On every vacation not going to SDC, you try to figure out how you can just swing by for an hour or two.
Vote to end 2020!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 06:00:58 PM »
74.  The citizen's start recognizing YOU
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 07:47:30 PM »
Love the above post!  Got a quick story:  First week at college at Southeast Missouri State University at Cape Girardeau, I'm standing in a hallway waiting for a history class to begin, and this guy walks up to me, pauses, and asks me "aren't you that Junior Dugan guy from Silver Dollar City?"  I was floored! I occasionally got asked the question around Branson on a day off, but THAT ONE really surprised me. It only happened that one time. Fame is fleeting!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

westofeight

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
74.  The citizen's start recognizing YOU

This one is good, actually happened to me. The second summer that Wildfire was open I was down there many many weekends riding over and over (usually on Fridays) it got to where one really sweet lady named Jackie working in the Wildfire gift shop got to where she knew me by name, she knew me every season after that and always by name, even when she went to other shops I'd still stop in and say hi and she would always remember me, I missed out getting to see her before she retired recently, in fact the last chance I would have seen her I was on my way there on my motorcycle and I got hit head on by a pickup that crossed into my lane. And so this leads into my top way you know you have been to SDC too much.

Just a few minutes before the pickup crashed into me I was thinking, well in 30 minutes I'll be in the park and can ride wildfire and then go have a piece of pie. I flew about 20 feet before bouncing off the pavement and sliding to a stop. I actually thought I was dead for a moment until I realized I was face down on the pavement. My injuries and concussion hadn't soaked in yet so I got up and started taking my gear off and see how bad I was hurt before I lost consciousness, when I came to the ambulance people said 'where do you want to go?" Not thinking clearly of course I looked up and said, well... I was on my way to Silver Dollar City.... I could tell they wanted to shake their heads and think geez, this one has lost it. They said, well we can take you to Branson Hospital or Springfield... about that time the concussion kicked in fully and I blacked out again, next thing I knew I was being loaded in the ambulance to head to Branson, thats as close as I got that day, by the time I got out of the hospital that evening it was closing time at SDC.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 10:22:16 PM »
Wow. I think that one definitely trumps all! :)

I'm on my way to #74. I'd love to know every single Citizen by name and vice versa. And eventually I wanna achieve the ultimate fan dream of becoming a Citizen myself!

Tony from Tulsa

• Hatfield
  • Reaching tens of people with my music.
    • View Profile
    • http://soundcloud.com/tony-from-tulsa
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2010, 12:41:55 PM »
You spend hours at work thinking about how in the heck that ghost trap at the bottom of Huck Finn's hideout works. Or, if it is a real ghost trapped in there. ???
No matter where you go, there you are.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »
^^^I know that shouldn't be funny, but it is. :D

At least now it is - I'm pretty sure it wasn't funny at the time.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2010, 02:22:33 PM »
westofeight - We know the Jackie you are talking about from the Wildfire gift house, she is the sister of 1 of our good auto racing friends, we have talked to her many times.

1 of the fire chief guys in Fire in the Hole recognizes all the time too cuz i always wear my ol'-school SDC shirt from the 90's that has the axe & log logo on it.
Live life like it's the last day!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2010, 04:17:30 PM »
^ I snagged one of those shirts too when I worked at the City.  It was in the Hospitality House I think.  Love that shirt and it is just so simple and bold.  Not like the busy ugly shirts that I see each year I return for a visit.  What's with that?! 

Here at Disney, we have latched on to the "retro" thing in all of our shirts.  You can buy retro Epcot Center shirts (as opposed to just "Epcot") and vintage looking Magic Kingdom tees now too.  I wish they would come out with a 70's and 80's style SDC shirt again.

For now, I'm holding on to the one I have in all it's log-and-axe glory.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:29:35 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »
Off topic, but there are some really neato "Established 1960" shirts in the trinket shop above the cave, over behind the taffy store.  They're probably elsewhere too, but that's where they were last winter.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
75. You know the history behind every building in SDC
76. When paying bills you cut corners in every way to fund your next trip
77. Your wardrob slowly turns into the costumes worn by SDC citizens
78. You stand near the rail road tracks and stop cars when a train comes with a picket fence
79. You measure everyone that visits you for a coffin.
80. When riding in the car you practice holding up your hands and hollarin when goin up and down hills.
81. You carry around a pop gun pistol and when asked why you calmly explaiin that the Hatfeilds/Mcoys have been sneakin around and they arent about to get away with it
82. At odd intervals you toot a sailers whistle and when people look at you weird you tell them its time to get on Uncle Rubes submersible and go lookin for Grandpappys Silver
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 11:45:39 AM »
83. Every snake you every see is a copper-headed-rattle-moccasin
84. You question the cave guide (guilty) when she leaves something out of the tour spiel.
85. You remember when Alfie and Ralphie dressed as women.
86. You shake your fist at your mother in law and call her "ugly"
87. You remember when the Yankees around the bend were the Cleveland Indians
88. You spend all day at work on this forum wishing you were a "citizen"
89. You apply for a job as a computer technician with SDC every year (just in case)