Author Topic: Branson traffic (residents)  (Read 6391 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Branson traffic (residents)
« on: June 17, 2010, 02:52:14 PM »
I didnt know if there are many of you in or really close to Branson, but if there is, how do you deal with the tourist traffic. In all seriousness, I have seen many people have thoughts of retiring there (myself included) but how do the citizens of Branson deal with all of the traffic?!?! Doesnt it get a might frustrating?!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Branson traffic (residents)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
During the time I lived in Branson, most traffic was limited to Highway 76 and Highway 65. Plus downtown. As a local, I knew all the side roads and back roads. I would travel from the little trailer I rented on Mt. Branson through Hollister, past College of the Ozarks, go over Table Rock Dam, up past the SDC campground, and on to the SDC employee parking lot to get to work. It was a long, roundabout way to go, but the drive was pleasant, there was more natural scenery to see, (Wild turkey and deer crossing the highway!) and it only took about 35 to 40 minutes. I worked the 8am-4:30pm shift from 81-83, so I drove to work in the 7am hour, which was pretty early for the tourists. They were still in bed in the motels. I ran the car with no air conditioner, so the windows were rolled down, the breeze blew through my hair, and the smell of the air in the early morning Ozarks, still fresh with dew complemented my journey. Even though things are much more busy around town now, locals leave early to make it on time wherever they are going, and they still take the alternate routes to get around. My brother and sister in law still live there, and do their shopping at the Wal-Mart and K-Mart south of Hollister to avoid the tourist crowd. My brother has a catering business, and prepares his food in a commercial kitchen at his home. He packs the food well, and delivers it piping hot to the time-share places and restaurants he works through. Even with all the traffic, he can make it to where he's going cause he knows the less traveled routes in the area.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:18:21 PM »
What about just running somewhere quick? I can see going somewhere else for grocery shopping or errands like that, but what about when you have to run a quick errand of getting gas or some paint for the house or up to a fast food place? Would you hit snarled traffic and wait awhile if when you just wanted a burger or needed gas?
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »
Simple, just go to a convenience store or grocery off the beaten path. Several stores and shops in Hollister, on the road toward Forsyth, north of Branson on Hwy. 65. In general, when you live in any community, there are good and bad things. The traffic is good because it brings revenue to the area, bad cause it's harder to get around. The traffic never stopped me or my family members from going where we wanted to or doing what we wanted to do. When living in Branson, you adjust to your surroundings, like anywhere else. Many locals, when through with work for the day, go to the theaters, restaurants or shopping centers, just like the tourists...as a local, you explore the new things as they come into town, then go back to your routine. I live in northwest Arkansas, in an area that has a population similar or greater than Springfield, MO. I have two malls and dozens of restaurants at my fingertips, plus many tourism related spots like Beaver Lake, a few show caves, some nice museums, and sporting events at the University of Arkansas and at Springdale at the Arvest Stadium where the Northwest Arkansas Naturals baseball team plays. But I've gotta admit, I go to work, then home. If I have got to shop, get gas, or want to go out and eat I do it. Most of my time is spent at home, just like anyone else. Same goes for those who live in Branson. In 1978, my family lived in a quiet residential area in Branson next to Lake Taneycomo. It could have been "Anywhere, USA" except twice an hour there was a loud "KABOOM!" that echoed through the neighborhood when the pirate at the Sammy Lane Boat Cruise fired his cannon at the tour boat! (Which, as a teenager, I thought was pretty neat!) On a day off, it was the only reminder that I was living in a tourism based community.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:36:15 PM »
There are those same areas near Branson as well. I have been going to Branson for almost 30 years, and being in Branson more than 50 days out of the year we have found ourselves frequenting the local spots for refueling, rehydrating, replenishing of supplies etc. There is a part of me that feels a bit hypocritical being a "tourist" in a "towny" part of town, but we are recognized and talked to by the workers as if we belong there.

As far as the cannon goes Junior, I totally understand your feelings on that. When in Branson I sometimes take time away from working out/ training, but when I train, I take the runs seriously. When running the Homesteaders Trail, I could be in a world of my own imagination-enjoying the run, or a world of hurt, depending on how hard the run is! But I am always brought back to reality/ Branson with the sound of the nearby Frisco Train Whistle. Though the 5+ mile run is tough, it is by far my favorite run anywhere.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:13:06 AM »
Rube, your talking about running brought this to mind...Jack Hershend has always been a jogger. In the spring and fall back in the old days, I'd catch him in jogging shorts and a t-shirt running on Highway 76 between his mother's house just past Shepherd of the hills to the park administration offices. That section of (now old Highway 76) is very shady and twists and turns. I'd usually pass him in my car at the intersection of where 76 and the highway leading to the campground meet. Frankly, there were a couple of times I almost ran over him, as he jogged right down the middle of the roadway at times when it was off season! Could you imagine the headlines there? Yikes! Last time I was in Branson, guess where I saw Jack? He had a pick up truck or SUV filled with trees, and had walked to a median on Highway 65 in heavy traffic to plant trees! It's a pet project with him. God bless this guy, well into retirement, and yet, he still has that civic pride!  :D

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:58:11 AM »
Thanks for the advice, Junior! I asked because my finacee' used to live at Lake of the Ozarks in Camdenton and Osage Beach and she said that traffic was something that I cant repeat here. I finally got to see it for myself once and it looked like Los Angeles at rush hour. I had thought to myself that if the Lake looked like that, Branson would be ten times worse. When I went to SDC in 08', it was basically in and out and not much time to look around or travel around. I guess it's all about adjusting!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »
They have improved the roads around Branson since the 1990's. I have a good friend who works at SDC and currently lives in Nixa, just outside Springfield. With the road improvements, he can make it to work in 30 to 40 minutes. In the old days when I lived there, it would have been twice that amount of time. Get off Highway 76 and try Green Mt. Road, and those colored routes...blue, red...whatever. Go down Fall Creek Road and Gretna Road and Shepherd of the Hills Expressway. Use Highways 165 and 265. You will see things you might not otherwise see, and other things to do. In fact, you can bypass Branson altogether and come in to SDC from the west by going through Reeds Spring, Branson West, Kimberling City. There are things to see and do in those areas, too. The western side of Table Rock Lake at Shell Knob and Eagle Rock and Cape Fair offer lodging and camping, and some restaurants. Visit Roaring River State Park at Cassville. Everything mentioned here is worth at least one trip while you vacation in the area.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 03:05:19 PM »
As long as we're in traffic, I traveled home on Hwy. 65 last night (since we ended up on that end of the strip) and the exit to James River Expressway is now closed from that direction.  It's going to fix a huge congestion problem at that location, but for the time being, it is an inconvenience.  It is nice being able to cut across to I-44 on the JRE - much better than going all the way around Springfield like we did back in the day.

We were also reminiscing about those great slow times on 65 when it was just two lanes (not so long ago).  Boy, do we take for granted the improvement of just adding a couple of lanes!

Our preferred route (from the west) is James River to Nixa and through that direction, but we will occasionally go the snakey route by taking off at Mt. Vernon, slip up to see the white squirrels in Marceline, and sight see through the old Ozarks.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 02:36:57 AM »
Branson traffic now is better than it was 30-40 years ago. Back then, 76 was two lanes, with no turning lane. Many locals sported a big yellow bumper sticker that said, "Branson Native. I'll help you TURN LEFT! <--------"

And they did. They would stop and let you turn left. Of course, trying to turn left on 76 pretty much branded you as a Branson newbie.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »
Belive it or not, I've got one of those bumper stickers. Mine is red with white lettering and says "Branson courtesy is contagious, I'll help you turn left." and there is a big arrow on it. I bought into the program. Our family had a sticker on the front bumper of our car, and my parents and I did stop and help people turn left. People did appreciate it. Although the stickers are long gone, I still see a lot of people today who will help  you turn left or merge into traffic on Highway 76. that's nice.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 11:14:35 AM »
Why not let someone turn left.  It's not like you're going to get anywhere sooner if you don't.  I never have a problem turning left onto or off of 76.  The problem I have is getting to the place I need to go so I can turn right.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 11:17:08 AM »
HB-

If you get stuck having to leave Branson heading north on 65 again (until they get the 65/60 exchange back open), just a couple of miles north of Ozark, you will come to CC.  Take it west and when you get to the stop sign (light?) at the T junction, turn right and that will take you to 160 between Nixa and Springfield, just south of James River.  Take it north to James River Freeway.  That beats having to go all the way up to 44 north of Springfield.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 11:19:27 AM »
Oh I see.  You think I'm the navigator.  I can hardly find my way to work every day.  I have my streets and I don't get off of them.  But if my wife reads this, she'll remember it for me and tell me where to exit.  Thanks.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 11:30:52 AM »
The fact that Branson is much more spread out than it used to be helps with the traffic.  Back in the day when everything was located on 76, they referred to it as the world's longest parking lot.  They've done a lot to improve roads around town in the last 10 years.  Now if they would only improve Fall Creek road all the way between 76 and 165, I would be happy.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"