Author Topic: CC's 2008 Project  (Read 27638 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
CC's 2008 Project
« on: September 26, 2007, 04:13:41 PM »
So in the Wild Adventures thread, we were discussing how it may be likely for CC to get one of WA's coasters, possibly either one of the kiddie coasters or even the Boomerang, seeing as the Herschends would probably not buy a coaster of much magnitude for the park outright at this point. However, Geauga Lake also has some rides that will probably be thrown up for sale, including another Boomerang and several good flats.

By all accounts, the park deserves to get a little more love than usual next year. SDC is pretty much confirmed to get that big new woodie in 09', so the soonest CC could get anything noteworthy would be 2-3 years from now if not this year. Besides, since it's initiation in 2003, CC has received only a set of Flyers and a Wisdom Tornado besides the Chance Chaos that only stayed for a summer (or was it longer?).

Anyway, CC's latest attraction was a very run-down Wisdom Tornado that had to be completely re-built. It was apparently an advertising success for the park, but as a ride it lacks severely.

This year, I'm really hoping CC steps it up a notch and goes after a mid-sized thrill ride, even though I know the park really needs new shops, shows, and things to attract families. There's a certain point where the best family magnet is a massive new thrill ride. Maybe a brand new Huss is out of the question, but Geauga Lake has quite a few rides up for grabs. If they were able to turn that hunk of junk they got this year around, imagine what they could do with something even bigger. 

So, any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:57:46 PM by shavethewhales »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: CC's 2008 Project
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 09:22:36 PM »
^Whoah, I wouldn't go that far. CC isn't as nicely built up and characterized as SDC or DW, but it sure isn't anything like a fair, even for the rich. Take a look at my fair (see below), that's a crappy place to ride, and feel unsafe in. CC, on the other hand, is very clean, very good looking, has great theming, good staff, a sense of character (albeit it needs maturing that will come in time), and an overall good value to everything.

CC was the first Herschend park to really be more of an amusement park than a themed experience, but it's still a great place, and as it grows larger I expect to see it change more and more into what we're used to seeing from the Herschends. It just needs to sort it's problems out first.

Btw, Boomerangs are typically pretty good maintainence-wise, but if the version at WA is a lemon, then I guess that rumor goes down the drain.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »
Although it is a slight possibility that CC will get the Boomerang, do you really think they would get it as quick as next year?? I don't think so. I think they'd get it in the next couple years since the Herschend's will still be building up WA.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »
Maybe. It all depends on how fast they move, and the Herschends have the ability to move pretty fast if they want to. Who knows, they might have another massive park re-building plan like they did for CC on the tab for WA that involves sacrificing some rides for others.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 09:31:22 PM »
Now I forget...How long was Branson USA closed before it became CC?? Do you think they'll close WA? Because I think WA is in much better shape than Branson USA was.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:46:26 PM »
I've never been to CC. But I don't want it to become White Water. Way too much money the Herschend's don't need to spend, and I think they can actually do some things to make CC better.

But if you don't mind me asking, why do you hate it?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:55:20 PM »
I'm sorry, but I hate CC. Most people in Branson hate CC. Even SDC people hate CC.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I just don't see where this 'hate' for the park comes from. Is it because it is over shadowed by SDC? I mean, if CC was in say, Tulsa, it would be one of the most celebrated parks in the country for it's cleanly and professionally run ways. Really, it's only fault is that it is too small to compare with it's sister park.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 11:16:23 PM »
I've never been to CC and I hope I get to go someday soon.

It's too bad HFE can't do something like build a monorail-type system that would take people from SDC to CC; something that would connect the parks so that people would be more motivated to visit both.

I think the biggest thing is I really think CC should have a later closing time. It closes at, what, 10pm? For a park whose concept is to be a night-time complement to SDC's day-time hours, it doesn't give people who go to SDC for a full day much time to go over and enjoy CC to its full potential.

I mean, SDC closes at something like 6pm except for the show. Why? Because they know that a lot of people are going to be going to shows in Branson.

So, what of those people who go to SDC then a show and want some late-night entertainment for a good price? By the time their 8pm shows are out, CC's closed.

For those who like to go play mini-golf or drive go-karts at midnight, I think it'd be nice if CC stayed open 'til 12am or 1am.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 02:09:15 AM »
SDC experimented with eight pm closings and they went over well, so I can see SDC extending there hours in the future.

I don’t like CC for several reasons. I like permanent rides with good supports not fair type rides. I hate stainless steel queue-lines. I can’t help it, I just don’t like it. I love parts of CC such as the Victorian/Edwardian, Fifties section; but over all it’s like so many other half assed parks. The park was built strictly from stopping an outside park from purchasing the property. I don’t think HFE really care that much for the park and all over SDC that is the opinion.

Hate is a strong word. It can cause a stir, but I’m just not a fan, sorry.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 03:55:17 PM »
I also dislike fair rides, but I think that if given a little time those will soon disappear from the park, the same thing goes for the rickety queue lines. Eventually, the theming will be more complete throughout as well, and I imagine CC will become more like a real city. The park just needs time and funds to grow, that's all.

I still say that it's a great park right now though. It may not be nearly as good as it could be, but just because it has a handful of recycled carnival rides thrown in doesn't make it that bad. I mean, try looking at some other parks, even Cedar Point. CC easily runs a tighter, cleaner show than pretty much any other park twice it's size.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 08:51:11 PM »
They aren't saying anything specific yet, but they are saying that this year is going to be CC's biggest year yet. Maybe this means that 2008 will be CC's year to shine with a major new headline attraction. After all, the park is in a sink or swim situation, and it hasn't gotten anything really serious for awhile. New steel coaster, anyone?

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
I don't remeber where I posted my comments about the possibility of Jester. . . but here is a follow up idea:  How about installing FLASHBACK from Magic Mountain.  It is for sale.  I fear that this would serve the same function as Thunderbolt and it would probably get the boot.  Nobody wants DeJaVu do they?  I found that thing to be pure terror.  Just too much speed and too many Gs.  It might be cheap and definately get the public curious.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 11:00:02 AM »
You've got to be kidding about Flashback - I doubt that thing has been operable for years. When was the last time it was open? 1997? Even if it did work, it's apparently brutal, not to mention boring.

Deja Vu, on the other hand, is supposed to be awesome when it's working. However, they might not want a maintainence nightmare.

I really wonder what direction they're going to go in this season. It seems to me that this would be the best year for CC to get a big new ride, but after again we have to consider how SDC is being harmed by the competition and how much it will take to get CC to the point that it can really start to profit.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 07:34:35 PM »
2008 is supposed to be the "biggest" season for Celebration City yet.  Announcement is supposed to come just before Christmas
SWOOSH

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 10:54:43 PM »
I could see CC getting a spinning wild mouse at most. For me it seems like a BIG coaster like a hyper would just look WEIRD in the CC skyline. Think about it, you've got a huge coaster standing 100 feet about all those little steel coasters and a woodie. :-\