Author Topic: CC's 2008 Project  (Read 27644 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: CC's 2008 Project
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 11:37:56 PM »
Hmmm, apparently Roaring Falls will be themed to the Amazon jungle. Not to bitch, but why did they choose a jungle theme in a 60's park? I mean, it's a fun theme, but couldn't they have done something like a classic flume theme? Meh, I'm sure it will be extremely fun either way though, it'll even feature 2 crocodiles and a hippo that squirt water at passengers.

I'm hoping this thing turns out to be a real surprise, Herschend attractions tend to do that.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 02:17:44 AM »
Yes, a group of friends and I were coming home from Las Vegas and saw this in the news. We were like what the hell??? It should be in theme and it wouldn’t be hard to stay in theme either.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »
Actually the park's theme is the 50's. 

IDK how the Amazon fits into the park, unless this is the begin of a "retheme" for the whole park to more of what Wild Adventures is.
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 06:36:55 PM »
What does the 1950s have to do with the Amazon?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »
Actually, the park's theme is 20th Century America.  Different areas are different decades, and worker costuming is supposed to reflect that.  It's a difficult theme to uphold, though - way too broad for the Herchends.  The areas aren't adequately defined.

Of course, I guess there was an Amazon in the '50s and '60s too though.  Maybe they could stick some pirhana in the pool!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2008, 10:06:42 PM »
I still think an entire re-theme of CC would be exciting. Introduce animals and have it a 1910s Theodore Roosevelt Safari type theme. Theme wouldn’t really 100% on Roosevelt, but would be a style.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2008, 10:23:29 PM »
Yeah, but the current theme could offer so much if the Herschends were willing to really take it out there. Imagine Roaring falls as a classic Victorian Shoot D' Chutes like what was built at the old World's Fairs; the boardwalk could host more than just basic carnival games, like street performers, side-shows, and special attractions and exhibits; main street could be expanded so that more of the park was an actual Victorian city...

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 11:36:29 AM »
I love the Roosevelt idea.  I think that's super original.  And it's enough to set the park apart from everything else in the world.  There are several places they could go with it.  It's really not Ozarks, but it's Americana!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »
Here's a new video showing off a little more of the Roaring Falls area. It actually looks a lot larger than I thought, though the ride itself looks shorter everytime I see it. I can't help but wonder why they didn't go a bit further with the course after or before the drop... http://www.ky3.com/features/branson/17227774.html

sdcforever

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »
I couldn't resist making another post.  I've been reading a lot of great reviews of Roaring Falls, and found a really great picture that demonstrates just how big of a splash the ride provides.  CC's GM was talking about the ride and apparently not only does it have concrete water-squirting crocodiles and hippos, but also Amazon sounds and a mister.  The Amazon theme must not be as subtle as I thought.  Below is the pic of the big splash (click to enlarge):

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2008, 06:04:25 PM »
Wow. That is pretty big. *Grabs umbrella*
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 06:54:23 PM »
Hence the name "SuperSplash". I just wish they had sprung for the bridge.

I can sort of see why they went with the Amazon theme now, it does give them more opportunities for cool theming... but I still wonder what it means for future expansions.

sdcforever

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2008, 10:29:56 AM »
I found the stats on Roaring Falls.  Here they are:

SPLASH HEIGHT: 60+ Feet 
Ride Time: 110 Seconds 
Height: 5 Stories
Drop Angle:  55 Degrees
Ride Length:  575 Feet
Capacity: 20 passengers/boat
              800 riders per hour with 2 boats 
Water in River and Pool: 250,000 gallons 
Height Restriction: 48 inches
Construction & Theme: Herschend Family Entertainment
Ride Design: Hopkins Rides LLC, Haines City, FL
Date Opening: April 2008

Pretty standard.  A quick ride with a nice splash.  Hopkins Rides has designed rides for Dollywood and Wild Adventures.  If you're curious about Hopkins Rides you can go to their website (http://www.hopkinsrides.com), but I warn you it is perhaps the worst site I have seen in a long time.  I find it interesting that HFE constructed the ride themselves.  I guess that makes sense and saves money, but I figured they would contract out the work.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2008, 12:19:42 PM »
They build all of their rides that go into the parks.  They built TGS last year with S&S overseeing construction, they built PowderKeg, again with S&S overseeing construction -- shoot they even built WildFire
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2008, 06:05:03 PM »
^Hmm. That is interesting. I didn't know they did that. They must be one of the few parks that do that on their own.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."