Author Topic: Quantrill Special Collections Research  (Read 15676 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Quantrill Special Collections Research
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 04:19:36 PM »
Uh, oh! Maybe we need to form a sub-group here called the Northwest Arkansas Fans Association of Silver Dollar City! Let's see if we can get a few more members, and then if we get a big enough group we can approach SDC for special requests and perks. (Wait a minute...we're already part of a larger group of folks who love SDC...scratch the first idea!) ;D What about it, though...the coaster community gets special perks...can we at SDCFans.com eventually approach the park management and ask for something special? What would we ask for? A free admission day? Free lunch tickets? Special merchandising items? Hmmmmmm....
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 05:49:49 PM »
I dont see why something couldnt happen for the SDCFans! The park recognizes this site on their official sites so they must take this for something of substance! Right?!
Andymeets1880s

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
Uh, oh! Maybe we need to form a sub-group here called the Northwest Arkansas Fans Association of Silver Dollar City! Let's see if we can get a few more members, and then if we get a big enough group we can approach SDC for special requests and perks. (Wait a minute...we're already part of a larger group of folks who love SDC...scratch the first idea!) ;D What about it, though...the coaster community gets special perks...can we at SDCFans.com eventually approach the park management and ask for something special? What would we ask for? A free admission day? Free lunch tickets? Special merchandising items? Hmmmmmm....

Do you have the connections to make that happen?  (Oops, we're off topic again.)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »
Well, I dont. But maybe someone in our midst might be able to!
Andymeets1880s

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 09:51:32 PM »
As far as the collection goes, we hope to make everything available to the public sometime in 2011. I wanted to make sure that we made it available to coincide with the start of the Civil War's 150th anniversary. Plus, as I have stated before, there is much more that I plan to educate the public about in Benton Co. Ark.
 We are hedging on a date to see if we can line it up with some kind of events going on there and kinda tie the whole thing together. EVERYthing will be reference material.
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2010, 09:15:43 AM »
I think our group is getting to the point where the city might recognize us with some special things...whatever it may be. It really would be nice. Most of us love SDC very, very much. When we criticise, it's because we love the place and only want to see development and changes that complement the park. SDC outta love us to death! We help spread goodwill and cheer about the place via Internet and word of mouth. That has to have led to more people or new people going to the park over the three or four years this site has exisited?!?!? What do you say?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

pintrader

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »
Well said Junior!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
Well, like I said, Junior....the SDC official site puts this on their site, so they must think something of it. They seem to be giving it the time of day!
Andymeets1880s

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 01:40:47 AM »
That would be cool, Junior.  If SDC offered something special to SDC Fans members.  There'd have to be some kind of stipulation though, wouldn't there?. We wouldn't want people signing up for the forum just to get a freebee.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2010, 08:08:15 AM »
OK! I'm going to start a new thread where we can get everyone involved with what should be done! :)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 11:50:45 PM »
Ok folks, this is the last time I will bring my project back into the forefront. I just wanted to let you all know that throughout this project, people have donated money and materials. Well....all money is now exhausted! Gone. The well is dry. But I am not asking for financial help. I am only asking for anyone who is interested in helping this Quantrill project come to fruition donate by sending anything they could on the subject of Quantrill's guerrillas. If you look at the opening of this thread, you'll see what I am needing. Again, this is to establish the "Quantrill Special Collections Research" for the Gentry Public Library in Gentry, Arkansas. Gentry is about 20 or so miles from Junior in Pea Ridge. I am looking to establish the biggest and most informative collection of Quantrill and everything surrounding him that I can put together. A logo has been ok'd for the project as well as a slogan. All will be revealed in Gentry in 2011. Thanks for reading!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »
I have been following the progress of the Gentry Library in the local press for some time now. A noted architect refurbished some old buildings downtown in Gentry to house the library, he has done a wonderful job and the library is considered one of the true gems in the state of Arkansas from that perspective. I have relatives who lived in Gentry, and used the library from time to time and enjoyed what was there. I STRONGLY encourage all sdcfans.com folks to participate in any way possible in the project discussed on this thread...it will be one of the best collections on this topic in the entire Ozarks Region, I'm sure.
-

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
 Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that I am headed to Arkansas on August 7-8 of this year. I am making a permanent move to Siloam and once there I will begin the processing, catalogging and inventory for the Quantrill Special Collections Research at the Gentry Public Library. I am looking forward to getting this started and finally releasing a lot of the information I have on paper and in memory.

Junior, I know you're in Pea Ridge. Might have to make a time to come by the library or maybe we can get a bite to eat!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 09:23:54 AM »
Oh yeah! When you get settled, just contact me here on an open thread or by private message, and we will arrange something...I'd like to get a look at the inside of the Gentry Library, and, perhaps, you can give me a short interview so I can write up a little story to promote the venture in the local and/or regional press. Although I know who Quantrill was and who some of his riders were, I don't know a whole lot about the subject like you do. It will be interesting to hear from an expert some of the details about this fascinating subject, and what the project will mean for researchers and historians. All the best of luck on this project...I'm glad to see you are following your heart and are chasing this dream of yours. Generations of people will benefit from the project, I'm sure.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2010, 12:22:55 AM »
So Andy, I'm about to use a pun that is popular where I work.  It's a small world, man. 

I was at work today auditing safety items at the Magic Kingdom when this caught my eye:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/4848582522/

Kind of weird, huh?   Like I said.  It's a small world.  It makes sense though since much of Frontierland represents Samuel Clemens' Missouri. 
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!