Author Topic: Quantrill Special Collections Research  (Read 15751 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Quantrill Special Collections Research
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 12:00:03 PM »
In the Outlaw Josey Wales, Clint Eastwood's character is visited by a band that was based loosely on "Bloody" Bill Anderson and his bushwackers (of which both Frank and Jesse James were a part of at one time or another)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »
Hmmm.. I think it's the other way around. I thought Josey was visited by Kansas Redlegs and he joined up with "Anderson's" band.
Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
It has honestly been a few years, I could have it wrong, I believed it was correct...let me see...

Redlegs attack his home, kill his family THEN
He signs up with Bushwackers in Anderson's gang...No Jesse James is ever seen right?

As far as a visit I guess I made that up!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »
Yeah, Jesse is never mentioned even though he did ride with Anderson in 64'. Jesse was at the Centralia and Fayette battles.
Andymeets1880s

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 01:42:47 PM »
I have just found out that another book has arrived at the Gentry Public Library (Ark.) for my Quantrill project!  ;D :D :o

This is aiming to be the biggest, baddest, most informative and educational collection for miles around Benton County, Ark.!
Andymeets1880s

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 10:34:31 PM »
I do the same for the Civil War in general with my fourth graders.  They have to know the war was about more than just slavery, that slavery itself is a deeply-rooted and complex issue that wasn't the easiest thing to solve after 400 years, and that all Northerners were not good guys.  That complexity is what grabs their attention and makes them think - and fourth graders can think for themselves if given the chance.  It's fascinating and sad that our founding fathers were working on the issue of slavery and could not, even then, figure out how to end it.  Even Lincoln did not intend to end it altogether - just wanted to keep it from spreading into the territories.  Anyway, seeing both sides of an issue is sometimes difficult, but it's important that both sides be brought to the table for serious consideration.

Please keep teaching both sides. I'm saddened that Lincoln has been so lionized and credited with motives he didn't have, and for actions he didn't take.

The very nature of "The United States" was changed so drastically by the war and its outcome, that it's legitimate to question whether Lincoln truly saved the union, or changed it into something else entirely.

Don't forget to teach that West Virginia isn't a legitimate state.  ;)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 11:29:19 PM »
Not to bring the conversation away from its original intent, but even the bald knobbers have been vilified through the lens of history.  Intentions were good at the onset, but got way out of hand.  Going vigilante is not always the best idea out there, but this was originally a group of guys who wanted law and order in a place law and order was scarce, so they decided to do something about it.  Too bad it got out of control.  Perhaps there were good intentions on both sides of the Border Wars as well; maybe there were good intentions on both ends of the Civil War.  That doesn't mean good intentions are always right intention, though.  These things get complicated and it's hard to get a grasp on all the intricacies - and that's why history is fascinating.  All the little puzzle pieces that fit many different ways, and yet they only yield one truth.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 10:21:31 AM »
I am not teaching much or leaning to Quantrill, although I see their side through wider eyes than I used to. There are some great Quantrill and border war historians here in Independence and they have brought the Quantrill side to light. Quantrill was always seen as a bloodthirsty, cold blooded, steely eyed killer and that wasn't the case. He paroled Union soldiers he captured and saved people in different situations. He wasn't any worse than James Lane, Charles Jennison and the Kansas Redlegs/Jayhawkers. But, my view of this collection is to let people read, study and research and let them make up their own minds based on the evidence and "newer" facts that have surfaced.
Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 11:56:05 AM »
Good for you Andy, True history can not be biased in any way. My sole role, at my school is to give my students the tools to see both sides of every story, conflict, philosophical movement etc. My students MUST leave all preconceptions about history at the door. History Channel  , former texts, everything adds to my kids ideas about what they believe "really" happened. Everything from Columbus (my assignment is Hero or Crook-and they must research them man and his actions, they usually end up siding with crook!) to Lincoln is in a way slanted to have these American heroes in a light that makes them bigger and better than any other explorer, or abolitionist. -Lincoln is often misunderstood by my kids, he was not per se. AGAINST or to abolish slavery though he was not pro-slavery either, he stated:
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »
I had always heard the preconceived notions about Quantrill and never learned the real facts until I became a historian for a cemetery in Kansas City (I am not there now though). I started asking people to bring in stories or facts about the people buried there and that's how I started on the whole Quantrill subject. I went into it knowing everything I had already heard and knew I needed to open up to the Confederate side of things. Once I heard that, it brought balance to the subject.

Quantrill got lumped in with men like Bill Anderson and Archie Clement who went way above and beyond their duty! There were also UNION soldiers that went way above and beyond too!

Here's something you might find really interesting....John W. Reid, who beat the legendary abolitionist, John Brown at the Battle of Osawatomie, Kansas, is buried at Elmwood Cemetery in Kansas City, Mo. Reid was a Confederate during the Civil War and was under Sterling Price. He led small relatively unknown loosely termed guerrilla bands too. Now....he was also a big time contributor and leader in Kansas City's days of the late 18 and early 19 hundreds. He was a businessman and philanthropist. Reid is written about in many local history books about KC and Jackson County, Missouri. There is virtually NOTHING about his time against Brown or leading any type of guerrilla bands. BUT....you look in Kansas history books and he pops up all over regarding John Brown and being a Confederate. Seems to be all in the way it is written and....who wrote it!
Andymeets1880s

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 07:56:22 PM »
Hello everyone! I just wanted to plug my "Quantrill Special Collections Research" project for the Gentry Public Library in Gentry, Arkansas again! I promise I wont make this my advertising place, but I need all the help I can get on this drive. I beg for any help I can get to make this a wonderfully educational special collections collection for this library and to build it into something educationally formidable! Everything I am looking for in the way of donations is on the very first post of this thread!

Thanks for reading! 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 07:57:23 PM by Andymeets1880s »
Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »
I stumbled across a mention of Quantrill tonight while reading a 1950's Meramec Caverns brochure

"At the start of the Civil War Confederate guerilla forces under the dreaded leader , Quantrill, captured the powder works in the cave."

It then goes on to talk about Jesse James, and J. Frank Dalton. Great brochure I stubled across in an old suitcase!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
I found the same brochure available on eBay for $.99. In case you were interested Mine is not for sale!
http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-Meramec-Caverns-Brochure-Stanton-MO-Missouri-/320552202613?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa2667175

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 12:39:49 PM »
Oh, by the way Andy...I'm over in Pea Ridge myself! Glad to have a Gentry, AR fellow here at SDCFans. One of the long time contributors, BetaMike, is from Benton County, too, although he lives in Florida now. I think he told me he was from around Gentry, or Siloam Springs, or Sulpher Springs...I'd have to check back on some other threads and see.

I'm from Gravette actually   :)
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 12:47:09 PM »
Well...this feels pretty "homey!" Gentry and Siloam are my home away from home. I have family all over the place down there! My mom and g'ma are in Siloam. And I have additional distant aunts, uncles and cousins throughout Benton Co. Plus friends scattered about. I also have family buried in many cemeteries there.
Andymeets1880s