Author Topic: Moving away from it all?!  (Read 9418 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Moving away from it all?!
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »
I was just curious (and I bet I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway). How many of you would move into SDC if you really could?! I imagine there are a lot, but I am interested to see just why!

Thanks folks!
Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Moving away from it all?!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:44:28 PM »
Literally inside the city....okay where do I sign?

Branson area, Yes I would, and yes my wife has already said she would humor me at some point and uproot to move there! I know I am not getting any younger, but being the only employed person in this marriage, I can't risk much right now!

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:58:22 PM »
My daughters are already on me to move to Branson.  I told them I would consider it once I have my house paid off in January but I would have to find employment first.

I do not want to sell my house here so when I want to go back to visit I have a place to stay and not intrude on people.

I am just looking for a state that is in better financial shape than Illinois.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:05:01 PM »
I lived in Branson for 7 years. Worked at SDC that same amount of time. When I played Junior Dugan at the diving bell, I had a fantasy that I convenced park officials to let me have a small cabin behind the ride, adjacent to the railroad tracks and the lake. Yeah, I would have lived there, if I could have back then. Today, well, I'd like about 5 or 10 acres of heavily wooded property a bit off the strip, but still close to all the action and the park.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:46:24 PM »
It's our dream to retire in Branson.  :)

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:49:29 PM »
Living on a quite Table Rock cove.  Being the conductor on the Frisco line. What a way to be retired.  Twelve years and counting.  I have been working on my lines since 1967.  Can't wait to be a citizen.  

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »
I have two perspectives on this.  Every day I work with people who have had long careers at various places around the country, then they retire to the Ozarks and come to work at SDC.  Having had a long career at SDC, I too, dream of retirement...but do I want to work at SDC after that?  I honestly can't say, but where can I go and get as much enjoyment.  I'm not a good enough golfer to support myself doing that.  I'll probably just keep on working here til I can't get out of bed anymore, or til I think of something else to do.  On the other hand, sometimes I say to myself:  "One of these days I'm going to have to get a real job."  I guess I would enjoy being a professional hunter and writing for a magazine though. 
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:57:20 PM »
That brings up the Steven Wright addage
"Where do forest rangers go to get away from it all?"

When my students begin planning for the future, They always ask me what if I had planned on being a teacher when I was their age. I tell them "I don't know what I will do when I grow up!" I think about retirement even if it is 20 years + away. That's why I play the lottery so I can get away!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 11:37:19 PM »
I don't so much want to get away from it all, as I want to get to it all.

I guess it depends on what it all is.  Or is that too Clintonesque?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:21:28 AM »
You know, it's really weird....I remember being at SDC in 1980 and just having fun as a child at a theme park. But....all these years later, SDC just wrapped me up like a coat. I felt something way different and like I had never felt before. SDC, Branson, the Ozarks, the scenery just took me over! I have heard people say that when they watched "The Andy Griffith Show", they wish they could have moved to Mayberry and sat with Andy on the front porch and had a piece of Aunt Bee's pies or sat with Barney on the bench in front of the courthouse and shot the breeze. The characters in TAGS seemed like family. SDC seems to be the closest thing we have to do that. There are so many people on here that say SDC citzens are like family to them and they actually sit with some of them and shoot the breeze. SDC is a place of make believe (to an extent) and a place that exists in imagination and dreams. And, as we wish we could have magically transported ourselves through the tv screen to Mayberry, we really can transport ourselves through the SDC entrance to the 1880's and SDC. It's not Andy and Barney, but it sure is close!
Andymeets1880s

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 06:03:59 AM »
Good topic!
We'd enjoy movin' close to SDC, like Springfield or Branson. I hear Branson is pretty dead durin' the winter. Anyways.. Acually movin' into SDC? It'd be ok & fun but i wouldnt wanna get burned out.
My brother moved close to there for awhile, ( Cross Timbers ) & would drive to the front gate just to look at the sing durin' the winter!! :D
Live life like it's the last day!

pintrader

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:36:06 AM »
I would love to move in to sdc!  Since Red Flanders is outside all the time maybe I could take his room.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 11:38:37 AM »
Andy...you talk of TAGS and SDC...well, guess what? I really lived in both of those worlds at one point. By day, I worked at SDC, at night, I worked at the Hee Haw Theater in Branson. It was a showcase for the Hee Haw TV Stars. George "Goober" Lindsey was a cast member. He performed at the theater. I got to meet him. He was a nice guy, but, sadly, at the time, he also wanted to be treated "Hollywood style" so most of the crew at the theater didn't spend much time with him. He was more comfortable hanging out with our boss, Tom Lutz, who was also a writer on the Hee Haw TV Show. But, it was still a thrill to meet George, as on days off I probably watched TAGS three times a day, and George was in many of the episodes. Also, in the early 80's, Rodney Dillard, who played one of The Darlings on TAGS, worked at SDC doing a country and bluegrass show at the Dockside Theater across from the diving bell. His little son spent a lot of time at the park, and he hung out at the diving bell...we Juniors kind of babysat him from time to time. So I was one of those who helped to that. Imagine...taking care of one of The Darling's kids! Another "citizen" of SDC during my time on park was part of a singing duo that accompanied themselves on guitar and banjo. The act was called "Norm and Norm." The elder Norm was an actor and appeared in many Disney films of the 50s and 60s, and, many TV shows of the era. He played a cat burglar on an episode of The Beverly Hillbillies, and played the role of the stuntman "Hammerhead" in the Burt Reynolds film "Hooper." His name was Norm Grabowski. His nephew, Norm (can't remember his last name) was his sidekick in the act. They not only sang but also told jokes...pretty good act, very novel at the time. If you Google Norm Grabowski on the Internet, his name will pop up in connection with a Website he has promoting his work in customizing cars...he did that in Hollywood...and his Skull figures he carves as an artist out of his home in Lead Hill, AR. For a 19 year old kid, it was a real kick to work around these celebrities I saw on TV as a kid...they were all a part of the Branson entertainment family at the time.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »
I should also mention Donna Douglas "Ellie Mae" on the Beverly Hillbillies, had her own tent show theater in Branson during the same time for a summer or two. My parents got to meet her, and they obtained her autograph and some pictures for me. Again, a pretty big thrill for a young guy at the time.

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 11:46:10 AM »
Well, we're one to one when it comes to TAGS! I got to meet Don Knotts! He was in Kansas City doing a run at a dinner playhouse and was at a local radio station. I got in my car and hightailed it to the studio and waited in the lobby for him to come out. I grabbed a vhs box from the cassette "The Best of Barney" from home and asked him to sign it. He said "Sure" and placed it under some papers he was signing. As he went along signing each paper and handing it to an assistant, he finally revealed his own face on the vhs box. A genuine smile come across his face like he was happy to see hisself as Barney. he signed one of the flaps of the box and handed it to me and actually said "THank you" to me. I, naturally said it back to him and told him I really enjoyed watching him on TAGS.

I would have loved to have been in your position!
Andymeets1880s