Author Topic: The "aura" of SDC  (Read 16089 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Re: The "aura" of SDC
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 12:20:45 AM »
Junior, Howdo, I sank in my chair as I read these last two entries. Junior's especially. I have never thought of what SDC would be like on a nice, sunny, comfortably warm morning or a crisp a.m. way before opening. I read it once and then read it again so I could walk through each step of description.

*SIGH*
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 05:00:30 AM »
Thanks for your comments. If I achieve nothing else here on this Website, I hope that I can communicate how special it was those years ago as an employee of the park. I was between the ages of 15 and 21 during those years. The teenage years and early adult years are special times in everyones lives. However, that period, that era in Branson has slipped away and will never return again. In interviews, the Beatles were asked what it was like being a Beatle. The answer they gave changed over the years, but in the most recent interviews with Paul and Ringo they essentially say that the four of them were brothers, and that there is no way to put it into words how the experience was for them. I understand. I feel as if I were a "citizen" of a special town called Silver Dollar City. I was not the most important or talented citizen, my first two seasons I was, simply, a food service worker. The tail end of the second season I was, simply, a ride attendant. The last five seasons I was there, as I got older, I was promoted to a glorified ride attendant...because I played a costumed character and had an alternate "character name" and personality and I performed a show for park patrons. The only people who understand what I mean about that time worked with me. Thank God, several of them are still on the park and work their magic in their own special way...Terry Sanders, Randy Stowe, Russ Maulden, Kerry Chester, ZEPHON is there...and a handful of others who made the park their career. Terry is the only one of those mentioned that is out front for the public to see, the others are behind the scenes and work their magic in other ways. They are the spirit and aura of SDC, and each day they work with newer employees who hopefully pick up on the special circumstances they are in and will keep that aura going for current park guests. My great fear is that current corporate management will forget how special the park is...and that the corporation will be like a lion cub that, as it gets bigger and stronger, turns on its parent and consumes it. If that happens, SDC will no longer be a special place...just another theme park in Anytown, USA. I pray that those who lived through those times with me will continue to inspire current employees to keep SDC special. When the magic fades, when the "aura" dies, in my opinion, GAME OVER. The best way for patrons to encourage that aura to continue is be vocal, speak with management when you have a chance, take part in surveys. If you feel strongly about something...no matter it be praise or concern...contact management and let them know. They do listen. Present your case in a clear, rational way. Write it down, email or snail mail it. If on the property, visit directly with management. They will listen to you because you give them your money, which is what they are after. They will do what they can to please customers and make them return again and again. This is the way you and your family keep the "aura" of SDC alive. Remember, a park patron is an honored "citizen" for a day.  :D

"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 06:33:33 AM »
Thanks from me too Andy1880, i could'a got more detail'd on my stories but The Woman was razzin' me for bein' on the computer so much. So i went & spent time with her. I gave up on Facebook too & am on here more than that site. It is just hard to explain in letters & words how i feel, i have so many thoughts that i forget alot of'm before i can get'm all wrote down on a post. "Memories worth repeating" is the best words i guess.. ;)

I feel for Junior tho'.. I think i read that he aint been to SDC since 2007. I bet it is hard for him cuz he used to be a employee & aint been there in afew years or more, that would be hard to handle.
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 08:12:22 AM »
I'm only 2 hours away from the park, but real life...work and family...prevent me from visiting more often. However, I carry the spirit of SDC in my heart, and I hope that when I reach out to visitors and employees I work with at my current job, a little of that spirit leaps into them, too. We gotta spread the love, man!  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »
When I am down, SDC is my happy memories.  It has helped me through a divorce and a lot of other things.  I was able to write a letter one time to the company during one of those tough times and they used part of it in their promotional material.  I was thrilled and still am that I was able to pass on some of the reasons why I think that the park is the best there is anywhere.  Junior, you are very lucky to have worked there, that is something that would be a great adventure for me.  Although it has been said before, I think that I could retire and then go to work there in an instant.  It helps to have SDCFans to help me between trips. 
Vote to end 2020!

Harp

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »
Well-I lurk alot around the forum, but wanted to chime in on this.  We live in Southern Oklahoma and visited Six Flags over Texas on 6/27/2010.  My goodness, how I wished I was at SDC.  All day I kept comparing everything from the employees to the food to the experience and especially the "aura."  I finally hear a little fiddle music over in the Texas area, but mostly loud country and rock blasted throughout the park.  Granted they seem to have cleaned up the park as our last visit was nearly 8 years ago when we attended with a Home School group and it just happened to be Gay Pride day.  Picketers at the gates and general chaos...

I never have to worry about my kids or me for that matter being exposed to anything like that at SDC. 

Anyway, we have been traveling to Branson now for 8 years and even buy season passes now.  There is nothing I am aware of that even comes close to the feeling the City gives. In fact our sole intent is to spend 3 or 4 days at the park while in Branson, we do not go for the other shows or shopping.  My youngest daughter who is 6  is always wondering when we are going back to our "Branson house", we will be back in September and I am counting the days. 

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 05:15:25 PM »
^^ "Branson house!"   ;) There's another classic line on the forums! That's too cute.
Andymeets1880s

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
Got to bring up an old thread.
I took my kids to SDC in the summer. They are 14, 13 and 6. We all had a wonderful time and did not want to leave. A couple weeks after returning home to OKC, I took them to our local theme park and they all told me the same thing. "this place is a fail compared to Silver Dollar City".  Just something about that place. They are the fourth generation in my family to enjoy it. Every time I go there, I think about my grandparents that have since passed on, and remember the times we spent there. Hopefully, once they have kids, I will be able to pass that kind of memory on to my grandkids.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2015, 11:30:43 PM »
Came across this thread again, one of my favorites, and thought the newbies to the site might find it interesting...I would encourage the newbies to read this for some good ol' fun...wonder what andymeets1880 is up to now a days
Colorado SDC Fan

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2015, 11:33:51 PM »
Interesting...looking back I never contributed to this thread yet it is one of the reasons I joined this site.
Colorado SDC Fan

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2015, 06:48:12 AM »
i hear ya joshblakebran.. my posts were from 2010!! we may not go as much these days, but the joy & excitement is still there, i dought it will ever go away. ahh.. City....  ;D   
Live life like it's the last day!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2015, 12:04:42 PM »
agreed... :)
Colorado SDC Fan