Author Topic: The "aura" of SDC  (Read 16066 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: The "aura" of SDC
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 06:22:15 PM »
About the only way I can get through mowing my lawn is to daydream about SDC.  And no, I haven't cut off any toes yet!

My favorite time at the City is when it's autumn and a cool breeze is blowing and the smell of wood smoke is in the air.
I'm Your Huckleberry

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 07:26:16 PM »
Kinda makes me wonder if other parks, in their brainstorming executive meetings, sometimes ask themselves what it is that makes people, such as ourselves, so passionate about a theme park.  What is it, for example, that makes a grown man or woman think about a theme park so much that they would be willing to drop what they're doing, and take a four hour drive just to get a fix?  And ladies and gentlemen of the board of directors, can we get people to feel the same about our park? 
Vote to end 2020!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 07:45:53 PM »
Not many other places CAN do that. I am grown, and not a day goes by without thinking about SDC. I thank my parents for instilling in me the idea that this is not just a theme park full of rides. Many other parks, people go for rides most of all, and food, and entertainment comes next. I can and have visited SDC without riding a single ride and had a wonderful time,I have gone and done nothing but take photos, I have just gone to eat, I have just gone for rides. I think it is the unique nature of the park and its multifaceted image that allows the appeal to such a variety of ages/ people. Whatever they are doing...it is working, and they know it!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 10:32:37 PM »
Speakin of Worlds of Fun..
We went 3-4 years ago & saw alot'a the employees sittin around with their chins in their palms. So we e-mail'd them & told'm to send'm to SDC to learn how to more upbeat & maybe be more interactive with guests. Needless to say, they wrote back & said they thought they was doing a fine job.... Well, we aint had WoF passes since, or been back. We've had SDC passes for 5 years straight.

Now that i'm getting older, i find myself enjoy watching kids reactions when they get off the rides & the parents ask if they wanna go again. Priceless! My girlyfriend has 3 grandkids, & we would love to take them to SDC, but the father is being a ----. Hopefully some day we'll get'm down there..

SDC is the only place i know of that i dont think about anything while i'm there. Life, auto racing, my cats at home, bills, our 7 acres we live on, NOTHIN'!! We only get away from racin' about every 2 months cuz its been in my family forever, just like SDC. It is nice to have such a great place to get away from it all that is not far away, 3-4 hours for us.

DANG! My parents are in Branson as we speak, they just went to SDC today....... :'(
NOW i'm jones'n. ::) 
Live life like it's the last day!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »
I was just at WoF a couple weeks ago and... ugh. If I never go back to that park ever again, I wouldn't be sad. The rides are great, sure, and I totally could see Cyclone Sam's fitting in at SDC, but... WoF has no aura at all. It's just... there.

And $5 for a slice of pizza? No thanks. I've actually left the park to go eat at Taco Bell and seen employees eating there!

As for Disney... I don't deny that when it comes to individual ride themes and innovative execution of ride ideas, Disney's amongst the best. But even there, I don't feel the kind of "aura" that SDC has. Sure, I want to take my niece to Disneyland at least once, but I plan to raise her on SDC. I've already got my stepnephew converted. LOL

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2010, 11:16:33 AM »

SDC is the only place i know of that i dont think about anything while i'm there. Life, auto racing, my cats at home, bills, our 7 acres we live on, NOTHIN'!!

I know exactly what you mean, but on our last visit, there was one thing I did think of: how much I wished the rest of the family could be there. Our oldest two kids (22 and 19, at the time) couldn't go. I've love to take my mom along one more time (she's 76 and starting to have health issues). I don't think my niece and her kids have been (the kids are 9 & 6, and get along great with my 7 year old).

But yeah... the rest of the world's worries just disappear.

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 05:04:41 PM »
This is one of the best threads on here...I love to find that there are so many others who have the same sentiments about SDC as I have.  And like so many of you have mentioned, I hate it when the time comes at each visit when I realize that my crew has run out of energy and that it's time to leave...that walk back to the car is the longest, most depressing part of our trips to Branson!

Thank you all for keeping the memories flowing in between visits!

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 05:51:10 PM »
Sometimes I get what I call: "Silver Dollar City fever". It's when I might just be sitting and relaxing then all of the sudden I will feel like I'm walking in SDC. I'll start remembering the way it smells and the way that it feels to be there. Then I will realize how much I want to be at SDC. The place has this weird effect on me. I mean theres never a day that goes by that I don't think of SDC at least once. :)
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 12:02:13 AM »
Ditto! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 07:38:30 PM »
Thanks, kerrydale for saying this is one of the best threads on here! I take that as a great compliment because I have touched a nerve in something with all of you and it shows I am not alone in the feelings I have for SDC and the Ozarks. I think the saying that I would love to be able to go to SDC when it's closed and just sit down in lawnchair in the park had a great ripple effect. I am also glad that I made a small impact as a "newbie" at the time!
Andymeets1880s

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 04:15:47 PM »
I really like this thread as well. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has the weird SDC effect. ;D
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 01:41:04 AM »
^^Thanks maddi!
Andymeets1880s

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2010, 03:46:46 PM »
Folks, are we allowed to just sit and express our daydreams?! Holy crap....I sure wish I was at SDC right freakin' now! I would love to have gotten there when the place opened and be there right now until they had the Bolins take me out at gunpoint after they closed!

*Sigh*
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2010, 04:18:57 PM »
When I was an employee at SDC, there was nothing like getting to work early, well before the park opened. The sun was just coming up, a few of the street crew guys would still be hosing down the streets, or in the fall as the leaves turned, they would have their leaf blowers going, cleaning everything up. A few fellow citizens would be red eyed and a little sleepy yet, and headed toward their shops and other work locations. If I had time, I'd go to the employees lounge and get a breakfast...biscuit and gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon, a milk or soda pop, and eat. Then I'd walk on down to a time clock and enjoy seeing a few chipmunks or squirrels rush around before the people got out on the streets. Enjoyed the quiet, when everything was still moving slowly, and yet, a big rush was on to have everything cleaned, stocked, swept up, and looking good for those first people who stood at the ropes on the town square and rushed down the hill into the city after the brief opening ceremony. It was a great time of day, still cool from the night, but the sun heated things up the later it got. The duties of the Dugan boys included cleaning Grandfather's Mansion and the Treehouse, so I would get a broom and dustpan, go through both of those attractions, make sure all the special effects were working and were turned on. I must admit, both the mansion and the treehouse were a little creepy early in the morning...you never knew if some critter in the night had gotten in the places...sometimes I'd turn a corner and a maintenance guy would be in their fixing something...and both of us would have to catch our breath as we both would be startled! It was fun having both those attractions all to myself at that time of day. If I had time I would pause to look at the old time photos that hung on the wall of the mansion, and read the humorus captions under the photos. I loved the attention to detail the park had 25 to 30 years ago. Then, it was time to go to the diving bell, help the other early guy finish cleaning and sweeping and testing the diving bell capsules, checking the effects, and so on. About the time we got done, we would walk out in front and sit down for a few minutes, to survey our immediate area and then...by that time...the first few visitors were exitedly rushing down into the Deepwoods area (Riverfront now) and were exploring and pointing and chatting away...Ahhhhhhhh another day had started at Silver Dollar City...and my work partner and I would get up from where we were sitting, put those big smiles on our faces, and as the first few people approached, we'd say "howdy, folks!"  Again, the search was on to find that elusive silver in the depths of the lake! :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2010, 08:33:53 PM »
Since we'r story tell'n....

One of our rituals before we get to SDC is to drive to the scenic overlook on hiway 76 & walk some'a the wood'd trails. We also have a picture of us being the very 1st car in the park'n lot at SDC. We stop at the clock also & usually see chipmunks.

Just hear'n the birds, enjoy'n the wind & smell of dampness, watch'n people show up before the park opens & see'n the look of excitement & anticapation on their faces. I do alot of think'n of when i was a child & we went to SDC, & of all my other trips before. I love to take newbies to SDC. Hearing the coasters run while they are pre-checking everything is like a shot in the arm. I love my auto racing but SDC has got it beat by a long shot.
While at the park i feel like i'm in my own backyard, it is that comforting. I talk & interact with employees & guests if they look like they need help or cant figure somethin' out. I ask alot'a people where they are from too. Its prob'ly good that most people are so relax'd while they are there, or they'd prob'ly think i'm weird. When i have to leave i get that bummed out feeling too, i already start think'n of my next trip in 2 months. Always get apple butter & afew other things. Always say good-bye to SDC & the parkin' lot when we are on the buses or trams..

Aww heck ya all, ya gunna make me tear up.. I could go on & on....
Live life like it's the last day!