Author Topic: The "aura" of SDC  (Read 16090 times)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
The "aura" of SDC
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
I recently visited SDC in May of 2008. I hadnt been there since summer of 1980. That's right! It has actually been that long! But I found through my recent visit that the entire aura and atmosphere had completely and utterly swallowed me whole. I havent been able to forget SDC as it passes through my head on an almost daily basis. My name on here is Andymeets1880s and that's because SDC feels like if "The Andy Griffith Show" had smacked head on into the 1880's!
  I have often said, under the moment of stressful situations, that I wish I had a lawnchair and could just sit down in the middle of a closed SDC. I have seen that I am not alone in my thinking. Although, no one has had that exact same sentiment, some of you have been pretty close!
  I also had that sinking feeling when walking out of the gates and back to the parking lot. I am glad so many of you have posted pics, videos and memories so that I can sit here in Kansas City and ride through the Flooded Mine or Fire In the Hole via video. or I can walk through the park and smell the food through your memories. The memories of lost loved ones, wedding proposals and three or four generations being there at one time is really something to give you a lump in the throat. I will close this by saying "Thank you" to the creator of this site as it has helped me pass many minutes under stress and long hours by losing myself here. Secondly, I hope that all of you that are citizens of the park continue your great work and also continue to contain that wholesome, down home country atmosphere that makes SDC what it is! Thanks!

Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: The "aura" of SDC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:39:04 PM »
Your "lawnchair" comments ring true for many of us here "Andy". It is a tactic I use as a teacher when getting blood pressure tests...I close my eyes, and think of SDC-Honestly it works every time. I am saddened every time I leave whether the stay has been for 5 minutes, or 5 hours. The old place does have an effect on you doesn't it? I have not met a single person that was just fine with one visit. Welcome to the site!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:41:07 PM »
 ;) Thank you, Rube!
Andymeets1880s

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »
Rube, do you ever do that with your class.  It works for me, with fourth graders, to take them with me on that imaginary journey through a section or ride at Silver Dollar City.  Stories about FitH are especially informative, and since it is Missouri history, I think I can justify it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
I wish I were like DocSpeleo and could take them on an actual trip there! We imagine things, we roleplay, we act out historic battles with paper wads, we get into history, we take imaginary field trips to various locations-pyramids, etc using panoramic photography and a smartboard, but I have yet to take them on a "imaginary field trip" to SDC! They are geniuses, so they could justify whatever we did...somehow! Maybe we'll try it!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 06:07:44 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:02:18 PM »
I've said it before, I'll say it again: five generations of my family have been entertained at a Herschend property in Branson. I was lucky enough to work at SDC for 7 years. Memories worth repeating...again and again. When the great grandkids come along in a few years, the sixth generation will get a taste of the "aura" of SDC, and I pray it will be as meaningful to them as it has been to the previous five generations!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:09:31 AM »
Welcome to the site Andy1880!
I am like everyone else on here - i think of SDC a whole lot durin' the day. When i'm on this site i feel like i'm at the park or ready to go. Ya all are puttin' a lump in me throat..
We still aint made our 1st trip yet, keep plannin' it but the weather keeps jackin' it all up!! I told my girlfriend we are just gunna have to go & deal with it, ITS TIME TO GO!! >:(
Live life like it's the last day!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:09:28 AM »
Well...How do to you, How-do Folks! Thanks for the welcome. I haven't been on here 24 hours and the people here have been great to me already! Very friendly and outgoing folk on here!

Yeah, I have NEVER known of a theme park to have an effect like SDC does on people. It's one thing to want to go back to a Six Flags or Worlds of Fun to eat and ride rides, but SDC is like you are missing home. Many people on here have season passes and say that they feel the pull back to the park everytime they leave. I hadnt visited since 19 freakin' 80 and when I went in May of 08', it was like I had season passes all along. It had that strong of a pull after a 28 year absence!
Andymeets1880s

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:25:13 AM »

The best scenario to be at SDC.....when the park isnt really too busy and it is a nice downpour of rain. Not in buckets, but just a steady warm summer rain. Now....picture yourself sitting in a chair on a porch somewhere in the city or maybe leaned up against a doorway just watching it rain and smelling the combination of the rain, the food and the Ozarks woods.

Well....there I gone and did it.....I think I just depressed myself!  ;)
Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 11:54:52 AM »
Nah not depressed, happy that we can have those thoughts, and that we have a place like that we can actually go to! I can tell you though it is gonna be a dang full porch if it's a rainin cause we'll all be there with you!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »
Been there, done that! Those are strong memories, very pleasant. Thanks for reminding me. :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Ok Junior, quit rubbing it in! ;)

I dream of that. You can probably just go back and pick out which dream scenario you want to play out again because you were there! ::)
Andymeets1880s

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »
Yup, Andy, I am with you on that.  Though I have been there more times than you, I always can get myself in a mental mess by thinking about a spot or a concert or anything about SDC.  It is truly a very unique place in our world.  Beats our local fun spot WOF by a lot don't it?
Vote to end 2020!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
Yeah, mbrown...WOF is like a massive teen hangout. Like the high schools blew up and the fallout landed at WOF. SDC is much more family oriented and not quite the atmosphere of WOF.
Andymeets1880s

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »
I felt the same way when I went to the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, "SDC is much better than this."
SDC has always made a great past to remember