Author Topic: Areas for park expansion?  (Read 19775 times)

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
Re: Areas for park expansion?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »
We have been talking a lot lately in other threads about the area behind The Giant Swing, and that there might be a coaster of some kind built in that area. Last week, when Steve posted the "Bing" arial view of SDC, I took a look at that area. I am not seeing how there is really much space back there, especially with the train tracks. Anyone wanna elaborate on ideas of how that would work? I mean, after all, that is our favorite passtime on these boards!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:33:25 PM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »
Cut down a few trees, level some walking paths, move or implement into the new ride the old train robbers shack, and, you got it! ( I admit, being an old school guy, I hate to see anything done around the old robbers shack...but the big swing is already there, and you can see the modern track support legs, chain link fences with barbed wire on top at the rollercoasters while riding the train...so theme is blown there, they just cannot help it. Time marches on.)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
that felt a lil blasphamas (sp) to read..... :-\ but you are right time does move on dispite what we "want"
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2011, 06:06:02 PM »

Didn't they relocate the robbery s
hack a few years ago?  They could do that again if needed.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
Didn't they relocate the robbery s
hack a few years ago?  They could do that again if needed.

They did, yes. But if they move it back any farther it’s going to be a block from the Train Station. :P

I still think they should put in a coaster south of the Homestead. The large area of trees just to the west of the parking lot would provide all sorts of cover to hide a coaster.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2011, 07:44:18 PM »
I still think they should put in a coaster south of the Homestead. The large area of trees just to the west of the parking lot would provide all sorts of cover to hide a coaster.

I would love for them to do a hanging coaster Big Bad Wolf kind of thing. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2011, 12:51:45 AM »
yes it would over there too.. BUT why not incorporate the WB area again?  What are they saving that for? ???

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2011, 04:18:54 PM »
Sandunerider: "What are they saving that for?"    The return of Rube Dugan's Diving Bell! (Yeah, I know, in my dreams. Ha!)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »
junior i know i have said this before but i would love too see the diving bell come back. just like you said in your dreams well mine too.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »
junior i know i have said this before but i would love too see the diving bell come back. just like you said in your dreams well mine too.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (here most likely) that the Diving Bell is the most remembered and most asked for a return of all the past attractions at SDC. Someone please listen to us!

I've heard all the ride capacity, guests per hour blah blah blah arguments, but come on. Any ride will handle more guests than a blank space. ie WB area.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 08:37:45 PM »
Cut down a few trees, level some walking paths, move or implement into the new ride the old train robbers shack, and, you got it! ( I admit, being an old school guy, I hate to see anything done around the old robbers shack...but the big swing is already there, and you can see the modern track support legs, chain link fences with barbed wire on top at the rollercoasters while riding the train...so theme is blown there, they just cannot help it. Time marches on.)

When the citizen working the Giant Swing told me about the new coaster that was planned he said he was sad because they'd be losing their break room.  I asked him where that was and he said the old robbers shack.  Don't know if that means it will be relocated or just inaccessable because of the ride.  With it being Shad and Molly's cabin I can't see it being removed.
I'm Your Huckleberry

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
Interesting that a couple of operators have mentioned a coaster coming next year, and that the TGS area has been mentioned so many times. I don't usually put all that much stock in what employees say, because rumors do get passed around among them that may or may not be based on fact, but SDC and DW employees have always been surprisingly accurate with their knowledge of coming attractions. We've found out about Wild Eagle, Barnstormer, TGS, River Blast, and probably loads of other attractions that I don't remember just from asking ride attendants. 

Like I've said before, there's a nice ravine down from the old robbers shack that would fit a terrain wooden coaster very nicely. It would be odd to wind a path around there, but with enough dirt moving and a tunnel over the train tracks it could be done. Perhaps the station would be where the shack is, and the tracks would cross over the train.

I still see them using the WB area for something that is more suitable to flat land rather than the wooden coaster that we will hopefully get soon. An Adventure mountain type attraction would fit in well there (themed appropriately somehow - perhaps a tree top logging sort of thing?) or just more shops and soft attractions.