Author Topic: Areas for park expansion?  (Read 19903 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Areas for park expansion?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:06 PM »
It's also interesting to note that the park has specifically laid out plans in the past for expansion off of the GE area and Wilson's Barnyard with the HUSS Frisbee concept from 2007 and the 'Bull' wooden coaster from this year respectively. The waterboggin area is obviously in some kind of consideration for expansion as well.

My expected game plan for the park right now is that they'll go ahead and add that wooden coaster off of Wilson's Barnyard, then come back to the waterboggin plot and add some kind of variant of the Adventure Mountain concept, assuming that has stood the test of time at DW, which I think it has. They'll probably go into the backlot after that and use up all the easy space with whatever before dealing with the issues of expansion in other areas.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »
I know everyone is super anxious about having a wooden rollercoaster built, but has there been any official evidence that the park is heading in that direction besides the survey?

I would love a “woody” to come in! ;D However, who knows what Silver Dollar City’s next project is, or where it will be?

CJR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »
The problem is that these projects can change in an instant.  Sometimes, even after they've been announced, they don't happen or are pushed back.  A good example is River Blast, which was planned to be built in one year, but ended up taking two for budget reasons.  That, of course, pushed back other projects the park had planned.  Some of those projects may never happen.  I would say that if a coaster's being planned for next year, we should hear something soon since they do take a while to build.

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 02:52:50 AM »
I don't really like the new parking lot/road situation either, just seems like a big mess now!

As for expansion, I have thought ever since they have had the property where "celebration city" is that a good idea would be to have both "trams" and those sky things, I can't think of the names of them, but my husband always knows, he used to work on the one in NYC that went from Staten Island to Manhattan, they have them in WOF and at OKC Zoo, you know the ride things you get on to go from one side of the park to the other up in the air, the small park ones generally hold 4 to 6 people each. Any way, I always thought that CC would of done better business IF they did a few things differently.

1. Offer REAL discounts when buying the ALL city pass. When I added it up you saved nothing compared to buying all seperately, I think if you were already buying the SDC pass at least till CC got off the ground they should of given a good discount on the season pass for CC as well!

2. Since they were advertising it as being the "night life/night time" park it should of been open WAAAAAAAAAY later, at least till midnight! Maybe even 1 am on weekends, but at least midnight.

3. FREE transport between the parks. IE Since SDC was supposed to be the day time park, they should of started offering the shuttles OR the sky tram (I think that's what they are called) from one parking lot to the other. That way you would spend the "day" at SDC and the "night" at CC. Then transport back to SDC parking lot so often so you could go home as well.

4. CC didn't have enough shows, or food selections. But, just doing the first three I think would of gotten the park off the ground enough for it to of built up enough to get some money under it's belt to develop shows and food more.

All that being said, do 3 and 4 above and just use it as the expansion for SDC. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:55:29 AM by MagnoliaWhisper »

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 08:58:56 AM »
I barely trusted the green and red roller coaster because when you stood there watching it, the part where it was like a funnel, where it was all those turns right after the other, you could see part of the track come off the ground.

The rest of the rides were pretty good. I agree that they could have had more shows, and better discounts. I only went to CC twice. Once with my family, and once with my church, because we didn't get much of a discount.

I really liked the diner! I loved the theming and the burgers were good! But that was the only restaurant I did like, even though there weren't that many.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
CC was fun, but I wouldn't want the ^ roller coaster at the park either. I never rode that one, it appeared very rickedy.  I believe it was the Jack Rabbit (though if you check Wikepedia-the link is wrong.)

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »
Well all wooden (the wild cat I think it was called) are a little rickety. They can't be as smooth as the metal ones, it's just impossible. I grew up going on the wooden ones though so I guess it never bothered me much. We only had one coaster at the park in my home town (Wichita, Kansas) and it was wooden. lol

I did like the diner I think too, I'm not sure, I just know it was the one that you had to go through to get to the coaster, and some of the other rides. That also was a bad design move, cause I had a double stroller that we couldn't get through those doors but that was the only way of getting to that coaster and some of the kid rides! Any way we liked the baked potatoes they had in there with the BBQ. Hmm, no I guess that wasn't the diner. I'm not sure. lol There just wasn't much to choose from though. However, I only went twice as well. I thought it stunk that they didn't give any discount what-so-ever for having a SDC season pass already. 

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »
The Last Chance Diner was themed great. It looked like this:

It reminded me a lot of Johnny Rockets, or Ed Debevic's

The "theater" looking building that led to the Ozark Wildcat (OzCat) also had a diner in it, but sold more than the burgers and fries. They also had hot dogs, chili, and some other items.

Photo from the interior of this one:

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 12:57:50 PM »
another great set of pics!

I had forgotten how nice it all looked when open.

thanks rube.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »
CC was fun, but I wouldn't want the ^ roller coaster at the park either. I never rode that one, it appeared very rickedy.  I believe it was the Jack Rabbit (though if you check Wikepedia-the link is wrong.)

The Jack Rabbit was the black one. I remember that because my sister made me ride it and it gave me the worst headache and I had it all day. She kept wanting me to ride it with her again and again and again...

I don't remember what the green and red one was called. I think it was Thunder Bolt, but when I clicked on it on Wikipedia it came up with Viking Voyage at a park in Georgia.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »
^The black and grey coaster was the Jack Rabbit, it is now Viking Voyage at Wild Adventures. The Red and Turquoise coaster was the Thunderbolt, still on site.

Getting back to the topic at hand, it seems likely the next big expansion of the park will be in 2013 rather than next year. Any more thoughts on which direction they'll go in? I'm still betting they'll squeeze it in off the barnyard area somehow, but I don't know how yet. It would require either an expensive bridge another railroad crossing, and the terrain is certainly tricky... Would make for an awesome terrain wooden coaster though.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »
Ahh thunderbolt...that was it!

I too see the area expanding behind the farm. I hope there is a way to keep the area behind the church how it is (Yes I know there is a barn and school now, but at least the hills (for the most part) are how they have always been. No one would want to look out the picture window to see a coaster.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
I completely agree that I wouldn’t want a rollercoaster just outside the window of the church. However, they could build an attraction south of the church in that wooded area that parallels the parking lot, and front entrance.

As long as they keep a tree buffer on all sides it would be fine.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 04:18:54 PM »
rube, i donr=t see them tearing out that area, church,school,homestead..  That area is what SDC is really "from".. too much history..   

I think with the farm area, and the WB area and i still wonder about the area North of WF-AP going to PK, behind the waterfall.

There is pleny of area to expand into. Lots of room for new coasters or plume rides.

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 04:06:25 AM »
It was the second one you posted Rub that I ate at. We got the baked potatoes with BBQ brisket on them. They were really good. We really had a lot of fun at CC. I wish they had made better choices so it could of stayed open longer, my family really looked forward to seeing it grow.