Author Topic: Eureka Springs....  (Read 9460 times)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Eureka Springs....
« on: June 03, 2010, 12:22:50 PM »
My family, all 14 of us are going to Eurika Springs for 7 nights.  We have rented a 6 bedroom 6 bath house.  Can you tell me what we might want to see and do.  We are going over to SDC at least one day.  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:07:09 PM by History Buff »
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Eureka Springs....
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
Local caves
Shopping downtown
Find the Carrie Nation house and drive by
Go over to the Pea Ridge battlefield
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Eurika Springs....
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:48:26 PM »
Just walking downtown could take a whole day. There are so many awesome little shops to go through.

The Crescent Hotel and Basin Hotel both have haunted tours. I went on the one at the Basin and it was awesome. If it hadn't been raining, we would've actually gone outside as part of the tour. I hear from my fellow Folklore Club members that the Crescent's tour is great, too.

Your first stop should be to the Visitor's Center in this cute little Victorian village-looking strip. There are brochures for just about every single thing to do in and around Eureka Springs. Very informative. They also have a little video you can watch that talks a bit about the history of the place.

There are some nice shops in that strip, too. There's a candle-maker that you can watch, a big Christmas store similar to the one at SDC, and several other little places that have different stuff to look at.

There's a HUGE observation tower there, too. If you pay a dollar to open the gate, you can go to the top and see the entire surrounding area. It was storming the day we went, so only one of our members was brave enough to go up there and get pics.

The world's largest tuned windchime is in the area. There's also the really beautiful glass cathedral to see. There are caves to see, though I hear the one at War Eagle isn't work the time and money. However, there's a nice gift shop there, where I did gem panning and that was fun. They also have a maze and some other stuff to see that we didn't get to (it was rather cold that day).

There's also Quigley's Castle, which is an amazing house that is decked out in and out with rocks and gems. Surrounding it is a wonderful rock garden with all sorts of items like birdhouses made out of rock, plus bottle trees. Let me tell you, it was an absolute treasure for the Folklore Club.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »
Be sure to see Leatherwood Park, and go by Thorncrown Chapel. If you veer over to Pea Ridge, see the civil war military park. If  you go a few more miles over to Bella Vista, you can visit Cooper Chapel, also designed by E. Fay Jones, the guy who designed Thorncrown, both worth a visit if you like inspirational architecture. Closer to Eureka, visit Beaver Lake and the dam, and if you travel about an hour north into Missouri, visit Roaring River State Park at Cassville, a beautiful park. If you travel on into the Bentonville/Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville area visit the Wal-Mart Visitors Center and town square in Bentonville, In Rogers, the shopping is great at Scottsdale Plaza and Pinnacle Mall and Rogers Historical Museum is good.. In Springdale, visit Shiloh Museum of Ozark History, In Fayetteville, University of Arkansas campus, Headquarters House, Confederate Cemetery, and Fayetteville National Cemetery and the old downtown square is good. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Oh yeah...War Eagle Mill and War Eagle Cave. Veterans Memorial at Bella Vista.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:20:12 PM »
Don't forget the Passion Play.  They were in the process of building an Old Jerusalem last time I was there...I wonder if they finished it?
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »
I know we are going to the Passion Play....  Is there any place to go horse back riding or river rafting around?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
^Yes, but you'll have to look it up when you get there.  I haven't done either.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 08:47:32 AM »
Thanks for all the info.  We are leaving on Monday morning to go to Eureka Springs..  Will be at SDC on Tues and probably Thurs.  Hope to see some of you there. 

MagnoliaWhisper

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:10:56 PM »
Also make sure to eat locally, and not the chain stuff. You can find some really neat little restaurants with really good food.

My step mom's good friend from school's parents used to own a tea shop there that was sooooooo yummy. They have since died and the tea shop with them. But, I just love the little local places to eat there. And of course all the little local shops, with all the crafts and such.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 09:14:19 AM »
Our favorite place to eat in Eureka Springs is "Local Flavor."
It is the first restaurant on the left as you are going down the winding hill to enter the downtown historic district. The baked brie is AMAZING, that is, if you like brie. Great food, service & atmosphere.
You have a great past just ahead of you.