Author Topic: What led to the closing of wilderness/waterworks waterboggan and splash harbor??  (Read 20352 times)

emmabugsmama

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
I've looked all ove the internet trying to find out why sdc chose to close these two attractions
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:19:59 AM by History Buff »
I'm gettin' outta here, no matter what!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
It appears that the park is readying itself for a major new set of attractions - possibly a children's play area (Half Dollar Holler), some of the rides from Celebration City, and a thrill ride.  Surveys are out for some of these things, so we are now in for some surprises ahead.  Keep looking at the 2011 Project thread for developing rumors.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
From time to time, the park will change out attractions. It's simply done because once something has had it's run, it's time to put in something new to attract people to come out again. Some things at SDC are staples...train, flooded mine, fire in the hole, others, like the stagecoach and diving bell, Tom Sawyer's Landing...they had their time, and then, it's time to move on to something new.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
At least in the case of the waterboggin we know that there were some slight safety issues, plus it was in the way, low capacity, and not ADA compliant.

As for Splash Harbor, I think it was simply a casualty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I think they have plans for that area, and with the new splash battle coming in and Splash Harbor needing a refurbishment, it was probably easier to just get rid of Splash Harbor and focus on the new splash battle. I am also disappointed that it's gone, but am looking forward to what comes next.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
They should have kept splash harbor it was one of the best areas. My family always spent at least and hour their every trip.  Even when it was below 70.  We would just change cloths when done.

pintrader

We have 5 children between 9 and 14 years of age. We spent about an hour every time we visited also. The kids loved it! What kid doesn't want to be drenched. Me being 50, not so much. I also loved the waterboggan before the changes were made to it. It was a lot smoother ride and you could actually keep your eyes open thru the entire ride without water putting them out. I heard a big problem was injuries. Was this problem before or after the changes, or did they continue during both time frames? It appeared to me just watching that a lot of injuries occured at the end of the ride with heads either going forward or backward.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Waterboggan was pretty labor-intensive, given a relatively short ride time. Labor = money (in the negative sense).

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
I wasen't really that suprised to see that Splash Harbor was going simply because I feel like it had it's time. Of course I'm just talking, I didn't actually go in there very much. For all I know it could have been the best area in the park. WW Waterboggan on the other hand I was pretty suprised to see go. It came down so suddenly and so fast. I'm gonna miss the Waterboggan. :'(
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
We're still wondering about the tower structure, though.  Looking at it last week, we had to appreciate the massive amount of steel that went into building the tower, and I wonder if it won't stay in some form.  I still think it would make a possible fire look-out tower, but still fear that it will be a part of an Adventure Mountain project.  Right now, it's only good for hanging a giant cascade of Christmas lights on.

UNI Prof

• View Profile
I once rode the Waterboggan with Yakov!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
I'll bet he laughed a lot while riding, but you probably didn't know it, because he laughed in Russian! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
I'll bet he laughed a lot while riding, but you probably didn't know it, because he laughed in Russian! ;D

"In Soviet Russia, joke tells you!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Ahhhhhh! :)

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
So the KGB shut down the Waterboggan?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Junior takes a deep breath, pauses, and then busts out laughing.  ;D