Author Topic: Next trip purchase  (Read 7809 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Next trip purchase
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 08:04:50 AM »
Yes basic is the key to this one here. I understand she had access to the archives for this, the majority of the rest of her photos came from a husband? or some other family member. My work consists of all of my pieces, a few that were included in the Payton work, many that are not. As you would guess, size is a consideration when writing. Each page means more $$ to put up at the start. A book could be written about each location in the park, so there always have to be places that are condensed.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:06:11 AM by rubedugans »

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »
Myself I would like to win the shopping spree and purchase furniture because that is the only way I could afford it.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 06:49:59 PM »
Just curious...Are there other books that deal with SDC history other than Crystal Payton's "The Story of Silver Dollar City", and the new anniversary book?  I would like to see one that has more detail.  I'd like to hear more about things like the process of building FITH and FMS, the theming philosophy, and a better chronology of the development of the park.  HB, maybe you should write one!   :D

I have a book from the late 80s called "Shad" by Margaret Newton that tells the story of Shad Heller who pretty much was the Blacksmith/Mayor from the opening day until he passed away in the early 90s.  You might check on eBay or Amazon or something like it for the book.  I highly recommend it.  Also a book from the early 90s called "Born Out of Season" by Marshall Ralph Hooker who was SDCs 1st Marshall.  He has some interesting stories including one about some young guy in a brand new straw cowboy hat who was there with a couple of young ladies and kept following Marshall Hooker around and heckling him.  He was calling him Wyatt Earp and asked if he was "quick on the trigger".  Finally Marshall Hooker got fed up and told him to toss his new cowboy hat in the air.  The guy did and Marshall Hooker drew his gun and blew the middle out of the hat with a black-powder blank.  Funny but I can't imagine that happening today.  :D
I'm Your Huckleberry

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 10:44:11 PM »
I had the pleasure of meeting with Lloyd "Shad" on several occasions and he was a genuine great person. The book which I decided to read nearly 20 years after his passing -in 1991- was a great read. I purchased mine for less than a dollar on Amazon, however I would have paid $15 for a book of this caliber. It has great insight and information on SDC and SOTH. Give it a try!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:53:58 PM by rubedugans »

pintrader

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 11:24:14 PM »
This book about Shad sure sounds like a great pickup.  I saw the man on several occasions but don't remember ever talking to him.  I sure wish I had.  I always wondered if he really knew the blacksmith trade or if he was just character acting for the city.  It probably was a little bit of both.  I just know it would not have took much to fool me because I knew nothing about it.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 10:42:43 AM »
I was running up the 100 mile yard sale in my area yesterday and found a copy of a children's book "When The Toys Came To Silver Dollar City". Anyone seen this before?
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »
Yes, I've got that book! I've also got "Zeke Hatfield and the Ghost Named Rocky." I believe there was only one other book, "The Littlest Mule," which is the one I don't have yet.

And actually, my copy of Zeke Hatfield seems to be one-of-a-kind, as it was bound out of order.

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd129/sdc_joy/Personal%20SDC%20Collection/Books/

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 10:57:47 PM »
I have those as well, my favorite kid's book is the 1977 -Silver Dollar City's abc words & rhymes
~ Darrell D Wiskur (Author) -search it on Amazon. If you come across that one, it has 26 great illustrations in there.
My favorites are The Rube Dugan illustrations:
C-is for Captain Dugan
D- is for Diving Bell
E is for Engine and for Engineer

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 01:56:59 AM »
Oh, I've seen that one on Ebay before. I've always wanted to get one. If I'm lucky, I'll get my hands on two, one for my collection and one to give to my niece.