Author Topic: Future of White Water  (Read 30023 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Future of White Water
« on: September 19, 2007, 06:43:05 PM »
So several things have popped up about White Water on these forums. Firstly, they've bought the massive 90 outlet mall just up from the park, and may eventually expand over there or even move the entire park. It's also been a consideration for WW to move to CC and the two entities to intertwine. As it is, WW doesn't even own the land they operate on, and space is limited even if they have land up the street.

So what will happen to White Water? I'll assume that for now, the park will stay put and any aggressive plans won't even be really considered for several years or maybe even past a decade, seeing as they seem to be doing well, and have just added new slides. Still though, if they have truly bought the 90 outlet mall, destroying the old park and building a massive new one may not be completely out of the question. 90 Outlets isn't far from the current spot, so not only will guests not be lost, but it shouldn't be too much of a pain relatively to hook up the needed infrastructure. The deal breaker is cost. It'll take many, many millions just to clear out the old park and the outlet mall, and building a new park worthy of the move would be quite costly. Seeing as the park is doing alright where it is, it'll be ages before the idea seems profitable.

What about the idea of WW moving in with CC? Again, tearing down the old park and much of CC would be quite costly, and adding in the new park would be hugely expensive, especially seeing as more infrastructure would have to be moved and built for a water park to function. Still, it would solve CC's issue of cannibalizing SDC's gates, would create an overall fulfilling attraction, and both CC and WW would really benefit from one another. Again though, unless CC unstabalizes again, this won't be looked at as a possibility.

Any thoughts?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Future of White Water
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 09:28:34 PM »
I really don't think that White Water is going anywhere. I don't think it'll merge with CC and I don't think they'll be demolishing any of the old park. I think the park will stay right where it is and maybe a few attractions will go, but I think eventually they will expand the park over to the mall they just bought. But I'm talking 3 or 4 years down the road. I don't think we will see anything happen for awhile.

And if WW is going to be demolished or moved, that would cost a WHOLE lot of money. A whole lot of money that I don't think the Herschend's need to spend. But if it is going to be demolished/moved, I don't think it will happen for a long time. Longer than the expansion to the outlet mall.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 11:41:23 PM »
I have heard of the possibility of SDC purchasing the Red Roof Mall, but I haven’t heard that they actually did. How is this confirmed? Did they release anything? They did send out a memo explaining that they purchased the aquarium, but I haven’t heard this about the Red Roof Mall.

I think it would be a great idea for WW and CC to merge. When the High Road is complete it will connect SDC, CC and the SBB together. That is why people were angry at Ashcroft for doing it; allowing all the HFE properties to be along one major road. I think they should take full advantage of this road and have three successful attraction all linked together.

I agree with you Steve; I don’t see them doing this in the next few years. I do know they would like CC to be successful, but if they are not willing to invest quality attractions why should tourist invest there hard earned dollars?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 04:02:10 PM »
^Yeah, but if they invest majorly in high-quality attractions, what keeps the park from cannibalizing SDC's gate again? We've already seen so far the Branson cannot support the type of market needed for a true night time theme park. Thus, CC has very little elbow room to do much and not compete with SDC.

Is it possible for WW to expand to the outlet mall from their current location? I would have thought that they would have to demolish the old park and the mall, and rebuild the entire park where the mall was.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »
it would be cool if they put a bridge between the old and the new one at the mall
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 06:38:42 PM »
Apparently the Herschends have made it clear that they have not bought the 90 Outlet mall, and they have no intentions of ever doing so.

It's a shame, as that means the park remains pretty well land-locked.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »
yeah mabey not know but mabey in the future
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 07:41:22 PM »
No, but it sounds like someone else has bought the Red Roof Outlet Mall -- it will be interesting to see what they do with it.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:59:34 PM »
Someone else as in another retailer, or another investor/developer? I can't imagine many other types of attractions that could do well in Branson right now, what with the competition between the two parks, endless FACs, and everything else. If they aren't going to do shopping, it'll have to be something really different.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 08:45:37 PM »
Watch it be more condos  >:(
SWOOSH

ideaman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:08:15 AM »
ok were do u get your information? I can tell you that they will not move WW to CC or will they purchase the outlite mall.. thats rummor. I worked at SDC and i can tell you that that is simply not true.. I do feel that they should allow thongs for women :) sorry I had a moment of weakness

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 07:15:49 PM »
^We just found that out, read the posts above yours.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 08:17:59 AM »
ideaman, even if you have worked at the park for 10 years it doesn't mean you know anymore than the GP.  I guarantee that I know more about what is going on then you do, 'course you don't have the connections I do.
SWOOSH

Johnny Boy

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • ...What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 10:45:41 PM »
This might be just me being a BIG ProSlide fan, but I feel like WW REALLY needy a Tornado or a PROBowl, or a tornado spinning into a PROBOwl, those are AWESOME!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 09:11:03 PM »
^I'm actually quite surprised that they don't have one yet, as popular as they are. They never struck me well though, as I got badly injured on one before, just by falling through the hole the wrong way.

I'm really hoping more for one of the new-fangled water coasters also from Proslide like the Deluge. It might not seem like a good idea to the Herschends though, as it might cut into the coaster image of their theme parks.