Author Topic: Largest group  (Read 5860 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Largest group
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:55:28 AM »
Two questions in one here kids.
1 - What is the largest group of people you have been to SDC with? 10-15 for us back in the mid-90s.
2 - Did you enjoy it, or do you enjoy a smaller group, or just you & ya'r Honey? I learned by that trip cuz someone always was hungry, or had to go to the bathroom, or cigarette, or hungry, ect.. Now we just do trips alone or with 3-4 of us. Older people!! ::) My brother is cruise'n to SDC in mid-late June with about 10+ peeps, he digs it.

Lets hear ya'r all's opinions & stories. 8)
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Largest group
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:54:51 AM »
Largest group my family went with...seven people. You're right, no group can get together for a vacation day without someone always being hungry, thirsty, needing a rest room. Also there was debate over what ride to go to or what show to see. That trip for our family and friends  was in 1977. It never  happened again. After that, only close family, and when too much complaining took place it was time to go. That same trip we went to Shepherd of the Hills, and one group member "didn't get it," (the storyline) in the first fifteen or twenty minutes, so he went to his car to sit around until the play was over. His wife felt bad about him going out to the parking lot, so a few minutes later she joined him. Kind of ruined the whole evening for the group. Oh, and then there was the debate over what motel to stay at...and which route to take to get to town and to go home...blah, blah, blah!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

pintrader

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »
The largest group I ever went with was probably about 40 people in 1973. but that probably don't count because it was a school trip and we all split up into 2's or 3's. It was one of the best times I ever had at the city. You could imagine a bunch of 13 year olds running around sdc.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 08:54:55 AM »
When our family goes it is what some call a large group.  We have lots of fun. 

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 11:50:23 PM »
The first trip we ever took to SDC was with our family, (The kids, at that time, ranged in age from 9 to 13) my sister's family and about 7 youth group members from our church. So, in all, we had about 17 in the group.

Not having been there before, we really didn't know what to expect, but we hoped that the high schoolers among us would have a ball riding every thrill ride in the place.  As it turned out, they didn't do the rides much, and spent most of the time shopping...even the guys!!!  So that was kind of a disappointment. 

Then I had to take my minivan up to Ozark to a dealership to get it worked on, and while I was there I got a call on my cell phone--one of only two in the group--from SDC security.  It seems my oldest son and his cousin missed their rendezvous time with the group and ended up at the security office.  To top it all off we had an unexpected rain storm during the day and we had left our tent open, so when we got back to camp we found a lot of our stuff had gotten wet.  I think that was the same trip where we had a several skunks roaming around our campsite.  Looking back it's kind of amazing that we ever went back!  :D

In summary, I don't mind going to SDC with a big group.  I think in many ways it makes it more fun to share the experience with friends and family.  In fact we're going to be there with a family group of probably about 13 in just a few weeks.  However, you have to go into it with the understanding that you can't do EVERYTHING together.  Like someone said earlier, it's just too hard to meet everyones schedules, needs and tastes.  So we go into it with the idea that we'll go off in little groups to do what we want to do then meet for lunch or a particular show later for the big "fellowship" times.  (The fact that we all have cell phones nowadays helps a bunch too!) My kids and I love Wildfire and the other rides, but my wife wouldn't be caught dead on them, and would rather shop, see a show, or maybe do a craft class.  So we go off in little groups, to do what we enjoy and that makes it a whole lot easier and more fun for everybody.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:57:38 PM by PastorDon »
In His grip!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 11:00:21 AM »
It's the same way with my extended family, between 10 and 15 often.  It's so hard to make decisions on what to do when.  Even when they decide it's time to eat, they all want to go to a different restaurant.  They always come out on a day that I am working, so I meet up with them for a short time, then "I have to get back to work."  I try to arrange a back door entrance to the Opera House show, which is where I'm usually working when they come, and I'll sit out there and chat with them then, but otherwise, it's better for my sanity if I just leave them alone and let them do their own thing.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:13:39 PM »
Just our opinion here - we do not bring our cellphones. I agree its a good idea for big groups, but we just get tired of seeing all the cellphones. Citys patrons are a changin' tho', we have noticed this the last couple years. Ah well, Life goes on. We still have a blast!
Live life like it's the last day!

MSUBear42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
Biggest group? Oh, let's see... 325, I think. When the MSU Pride Band came down for Christmas two years ago.  :D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »
As an employee, I remember the Yamaha Days Weekend that was held in the early  80s. That was a mob. Park full to capacity. Everyone was always nice, though. Just a busy weekend from the standpoint of employees.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 04:13:51 AM »
I don't think we ever went with anyone other than immediate family. That means four to start, and five or six when we added my older sister's husband (I don't recall if their daughter had been born when we all went). Three when it was just my two sons and I. And five when it was my wife and three youngest sons.

(FYI: we don't play the half/step thing; all our kids are brothers and sister and sons and daughter, no matter whose genes they have. I was married once before, and have two sons from that marriage. I married again, and have one son from that marriage, plus a son and daughter who don't share my DNA. We're a happy family even without the blood tests.  :) )

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »
Largest group?  I attended with over 18,000 a time or two, but that probably doesn't count since I didn't know <17,995 of them, and we traveled in separate cars.

Seriously, I think you can comfortably do it with two average families (2-3 kids and their parents).  We tried the large group thing at a state fair several years ago, and learned a lasting lesson about the restrooms, food, etc.

Does anyone ever go it alone?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:15:41 AM »
Actually, my last time on  park...last day of the 2007 season (Christmas time) I popped up to the park just to say hello to an old friend...then he gave me a tour of the park since I had not been there since about 2005. I spent some more time visiting with him in the office, then made one last swing through the park solo. Hit a few shops, looked at the lights. I was glad that the park seemed much like it did in the days when I worked there, from the standpoint of friendly "citizens" and the overall feel and look of the park. When you leave a job to move on in your life, if you really liked where you were...and later you return for a visit, you want things to be kind of the same in some respects. I was one of many, many people who worked at SDC over the years, but I feel like the current generation of employee is getting much more right than wrong. I don't like everything I see on park now, but I would say 85 to 90 percent I feel comfortable with. I am distressed at how some current employees tell me that sometimes the head office in Georgia "does not get it" in terms of what SDC is all about. I encourage management to spend more time "in the cradle" at the park that started it all. Not in the offices at SDC, but on the streets. Stand in line at the rides, go see some shows, eat at the restaurants and concessions, listen to what the guests are saying while you are out there, and take  your time. Then  you will start to know what I'm talking about. This park is a SPECIAL place. There is no other place quite like it. I think that when I die, a corner of Heaven will look like the Ozarks, and in the center of those hills there will be a SDC like I remember it from my youth. I find myself thinking everytime I enter the park at the Hospitality House doors and smell the wood smoke and the sweetness coming from funnel cakes and the candy factory,  "ahhhh, I must be in Heaven." ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »
I have my own park in Heaven, done my way.  I hope you will visit.  Maybe you can work for me.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 04:47:05 PM »
I've been with my extended family a couple times to SDC. There were about 15 of us in those groups. It does get crazy, and I enjoy the trips with just my friends or family better where it is just 3-4 of us. Things get pretty crazy when there are so many people in a group.

One of the times we went with a big group we were all in the old book store (which it was really hard to get 15 people in there by the way) and I was looking around and stuff, only to look around and see my entire group gone. Turns out they had all went to the taffy shop up the hill. Just another crazy SDC memory I'll always remember, and it shows how things can get pretty crazy whenever you have a lot of people to look after. ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:50:08 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 03:42:58 AM »
I am distressed at how some current employees tell me that sometimes the head office in Georgia "does not get it" in terms of what SDC is all about. I encourage management to spend more time "in the cradle" at the park that started it all. Not in the offices at SDC, but on the streets. Stand in line at the rides, go see some shows, eat at the restaurants and concessions, listen to what the guests are saying while you are out there, and take  your time. Then  you will start to know what I'm talking about. This park is a SPECIAL place.

Hopefully, Joel Manby will take that to heart after his stint as an "undercover boss".

All the HFE attractions are pretty "unique and original", but SDC is truly the birthplace of them all.