Author Topic: How's Celebration City Doing?  (Read 20302 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How's Celebration City Doing?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2007, 11:49:21 PM »
Really good idea Tom. I have not yet been to CC but that would get me there!! Welcome to the forums. We're all pretty nice here.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 01:43:28 PM »
     A few folks mentioned that families are CC target audience.  I totally agree.  Expanding on this, though:  If CC would bring in some mid-level Christian rock bands- make it a series of Thursday Night shows, they could youth ministers pack that park out.  The Christian community totally trust SDC and CC and want to make them prosper.  CC has offered nothing except the dinking Family Praise day that coming up on OCT 20.  C'mon!!!!!!  There are families and youth wanting to spend time together in Branson and money to be made.  CC needs to seal the deal. 

Quite a good point, especially seeing as the Young Christian day at SDC is probably the second most-crowded day of the season, if not the most. That's the only time I've seen Wildfire's overflow queue used since 2001.

Btw, Welcome to the forums.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 07:33:18 PM »
Unfortunately, they haven't participated in any of the online attendance-releases, so one can't really know how well they are doing except by word of mouth.

Not true, you just have to know who to ask.
2006 attendances for all 3 parks
Silver Dollar City 2.07 million.
Celebration City 331,000
White Water 250,000.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 07:48:34 PM »
Ah, I guess I just didn't check the right ones, thanks.

Wow though, I would have expected something more like half a million. SDC's attendance seems like it should be higher too.
Hmmm, I don't get it, they're outrageously popular and they the best reputation of any business in the world, so why aren't more people flocking in?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2007, 08:44:34 PM »
Hmmm, I guess I don't understand your question.  The attendance was up actually by quite a lot.  SDC outdrew all of the other parks in Missouri and almost SFStL and WOF combined last year.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 08:51:04 PM »
Huh, I guess I just haven't looked very closely at attendance figures for awhile, I just assumed it was much higher than that. I mean, doesn't DW draw in 6 million easy? It just feels like it used to be higher for some reason.

I also just figured it was down because of the bad reports from earlier this season, but I guess they got over that.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 10:56:18 PM »
No.  Dollywood doesn't draw much more than SDC. 
SWOOSH

ideaman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
The problem with CC is that the people are rude. they dont seem to want to be there. .no smiles.. no laughing.. its just dead.. also the other problems is that SDC and CC management as well as the HFECopr people is that they are very territorial. they dont share there territory or afraid that someone will make them look bad if they accept an idea from an employee. the result is a dead and boring park like CC and SDC is following close in the tracks. ill explain more about that later. What will make CC successful? Well they need to hold concerts once a month on the lawn were the lazer light show is. they could have Charlie Danels Band.. peoople lilke that.. Also they could have things such as a balloon glow.. look it up on the internet they are popular.. Also the shops are the Same as SDC. Boring!!!! get new shops that are differnt. They sell the same old stuff and its too expensive. they make up everyting 75%.  Now Back to SDC.  They really need to bring back the crafts. They said they will but in reality they will never do it. again its because of territory. The food is way to expensive. who can afford to eat there?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »
^I've actually had really good times with the CC staff. I know several Wildcat ops who always go to the next level to make sure everyone is having a good time. However, they do select from a different crowd to staff the park, and a few aren't so great, but park-wise the place is run excellently.

Same shops as SDC? Meh, as of now there aren't exactly many shops to base that claim off of. Of the few they have though, Paper Moon and the Magic shop can't be found at SDC, and there was once a Beach-themed shop that comes and goes.

As far as food, you should look at the other parks: both CC and SDC kick some serious ass in that department. Though the prices are just a tad bit higher than any would like, they have a few more things to pay for than ordinary restaurants. Even with the prices being what they are though, they are MUCH lower than almost any other park's, and the portions are much larger. Look at FC: $8 for a crap burger with a small drink.

However, I do agree that more concerts and shows would do the park good, and they surely know that. I assume that we'll see more and more of those likes over the coming years.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 08:16:38 AM »
So maybe a "ROCK"-toberfest thing should go on during the Fall.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 06:56:42 PM »
So maybe a "ROCK"-toberfest thing should go on during the Fall.

I think that'd be a great idea. But it's not easy to bring in people like the Charlie Daniels Band.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 09:02:31 PM »
^With the Herschends rep, it wouldn't be hard to book a bunch of Christian-youth oriented bands. I mean, look at FC: they have a yearly concert series featuring such, and it's a huge hit for them. SDC already has one weekend out of the year where they bring in a bunch of Christian bands, and it's usually one of the most crowded weekends of the year.

The only thing is, would they have to build a new stage on the lawn, or is there already a set up for that? I haven't looked over there since the place opened.

CJR

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 05:56:25 PM »
I'll post this in the rumors section too, but my dad showed me one of the surveys HFEC did and it looks like CC will become Wild Adventures in a few years.  I'm not real happy about them abandoning the concept of CC and would rather see them put that kind of money into CC, but if they do turn it into Wild Adventures, it'll probably be something worth going to.  I just hope they don't cheap it out like they did CC.  I mean everything they've put in since the second year has either been low budget or used.  SDC gets all new things so I am hoping WA will be given the same treatment as SDC after it opens in Branson, should it happen.  Imagine, two SDC quality (one of which is SDC) parks only miles apart... it might be happening.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »
^I somehow doubt they'd go to the trouble of re-theming the park. What good would it do? The park is already well laid out to a theme everyone likes.

CJR

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
Hey, I agree with you.  I like the idea of CC and think they should stick with it.  I really believe the lack of success within the park is their fault.  I mean, the park's first couple of years was good, but then they quit adding things that really drew.  I mean the new laser show was good, but I don't think it really increased CC's audience.  The Stinger probably helped some, but it's no Wildfire, Powder Keg, Wildcat, Grand Exposition, or even a Giant Swing.  I really think they need to invest in CC like do in SDC. 

People continuously tell me that it's not meant to be the same quality as SDC in terms of rides, but I ask, "why not?"  I'd love to see some sort of dark ride put in, a few theaters, maybe even borrow SDC's crafts and just make them more modern.  If they really invested in the park (without completely scrapping it), it would be a hot spot (just like SDC).  Again, people often disagree with me there, but I really think the park has potential.  With a few more indoor activities, some more hands on (craft like) stuff, and another high ranking coaster, the park will be a must visit.  I also think with a few more indoor things, it could stay open longer like SDC does.  Maybe March to November or something.  I think I made my point though; they should invest in their current park if they're willing to spend several million dollars (which is probably what the overhaul would take).