Author Topic: HFE and Aquarium?  (Read 3663 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
HFE and Aquarium?
« on: September 11, 2007, 08:52:29 PM »
I am wondering why HFE is looking into buying aquariums. I know that CEO Joel Mamby had the company purchase small water parks to create a sustainable income, but an aquarium is hardly a themed attraction. The reason they opened White Waters in Oklahoma, Texas and Georgia was to create constant revenue; the parks being located in large cities.

This is a little known fact...
In the early 1980s they partnered with a Mexican restaurant chain out of Colorado, I don’t remember then name of that restaurant chain, but that was also to create revenue that wasn’t reliant on tourist’s dollars.

They also sold The Grand Palace Theatre, Branson, MO, and Music Mansion in Pigeon Forge, TN. They claimed they wanted to get out of the theatre business and to stay in the themed environment business. 

Alright, I know I rambled, but does anyone have a clue why they would be looking into this venture?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HFE and Aquarium?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I thought we had a thread for this but I'm not sure. I think Steve just posted about it on the site. Anyways, I'm guessing it's just to expand the company and become better known. But I do agree with you that it's not a themed attraction. Or a "themed environment" as they call it.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: HFE and Aquarium?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:03:45 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I wrote the article on the site. It is a bit odd, and I worry about the company getting so spread out that it's special aspects get run-over with corporate politics. It does make sense though, as a business entity of their size, to find a way to make extra revenue that isn't so succeptable to things like bad weather and gas prices.