Author Topic: Notable Deaths  (Read 2012 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Notable Deaths
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
As reported in the May/June edition of "The Ozarks Mountaineer," a regional magazine published in Branson, two notable people in the Ozarks have passed away:

1) Jim Reed, a humor columnist, writer of many books, public relations man, and radio personality, died at
         age 94 in Feburary at Gassville, Arkansas. Reed had a humor column in the Ozarks Mountaineer titled
         "The Way I heer'd it," which ran for almost 30 years. I have three of his humor books, they are all well
         worth reading.

2) 71 year old Lyle Mabe, founder of the "Baldknobbers Jamboree," Theater in Branson died Feburary 27.   
         Longtime fans of  the Baldknobbers show will remember Lyle played the comedian "George Aggernite."
         Mabe passed away after a long illness. He retired from stage in 1991. Lyle and his three brothers were
         founders of the Baldknobbers band and show. Presently Lyle's son is the show's music director. The
         children and grandchildren of Lyle and the other three Mabe brothers are current entertainers at the
         show. I saw Lyle perform many times when I lived in Branson, he was quite a talent. He will be missed.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"