Author Topic: Your SDC 50th Anniversary Weekend Experiences  (Read 16450 times)

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: Your SDC 50th Anniversary Weekend Experiences
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 08:15:35 AM »
My favorite song is He Lives!! 

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 08:25:19 AM »
Oh a couple things that I forgot...There was Summer Lovin' playing as we left.  Are you kidding me? There is no need to change the music just because it is evening.  Stop this.

And why is the reverse side of World Fest banner "Be Sure to Come Back for An Old Time Christmas"?  That is an actual question as it drives me crazy!

And I forgot one HUGE positive...nearly everytime we went across the square there was a street show going on.  It was really fun!

And once again a big shout out to our favorite ride operator Freddie!  HE makes me daughter laugh to no end!  And on the drive home she looked over at me and said "howdy neighbor" in that silly voice he does.  Seriously hope SDC does everything they can to keep him in the GE. 
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 08:55:12 AM »
Anybody see the RAINMAKER SHOW in action over anniversary weekend?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 04:10:13 PM »
Replying to those who wondered about Miss Tilly...Helen was the original, from when we first did the Choctaw Charlie show in the mid-80's.  The original cast included Helen (now McFerron) as Tilly, Janet Brooks as Jo, Sandy Shawgo as Georgia, Jana Henleben as Lilly, Jae McFerron as Charlie, Ed Marshall as Mean Murphy, and I was Bart.

Since then, of course, there have been many versions of the show and many different people playing the various roles.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2010, 04:15:35 PM »
DH and I got to the park before opening on Friday. Went to Sullivan's Mill to get cinnamon bread for breakfast; was disappointed the bread was cold since it's usually HOT first thing in the morning.  :( We were the only people on FITH when we rode -- could have ridden it again by ourselves but decided to pass.  Like the improvements to the scenes.  Went to the first saloon show of the day (it wasn't full) and was able to walk out of the saloon and walk right into the Opera House for the first Acrobats show of the day.  Thought that the acrobats were much better than last year.  We also rode the Flooded Mine and saw the Mexican show (excellent).  Saw part of the Ireland show.  Decided to swap our 7 pm OMD tickets for 3 pm ones.  Loved the show!  We sat in the upper area and were able to get to the Red/Gold Heritage Hall before the skies opened up.  The Fiery Fiddles show was FANTASTIC.  We walked around the park some after the show and took advantage of some of the after 5 pm food specials.  We left at 6. 

Saturday we arrived at 10:30 and got in line for the noon show.  Had a brief rain shower before the show started.  It got hot when the sun came out.  Great show!  Afterwards we went to the Mexican show; another excellent show that was totally different from Friday's show.  Since the park was so crowded, we decided to leave.

Sunday we waited until late afternoon to arrive.  Waited in line an hour to get into EH for the evening praise and worship event.  DH and I like praise and worship music but we were very disappointed that there were no hymns or gospel songs --also very disappointed that there was no live music, just tracks to back up the singers.

Overall, it was a great weekend!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2010, 12:31:59 AM »
DH and I got to the park before opening on Friday.

Who's that?  Sort of confusing since those are my initials and it sure wasn't me.
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2010, 07:57:04 AM »
DH is a common Internet abbreviation for "Dear Husband"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2010, 09:41:39 AM »
Really?  Must not be overly common because I post on many boards and that's the first time I've ever heard of that -- course most people that post on boards are not married so that might be it.
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 11:52:39 AM »
That is not even the tip of the iceburg. You also have DS for Dear Son, DD for Dear Daughter, DW for Dear Wife, and DMCWAOTDA for Driving Me Crazy With All Of These Dear Abbreviations. It's more of a ladies thing. :P

So I am going to Silver Dollar City next weekend! Does anyone know if they will be keeping their decorations up all year long?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 12:18:00 PM »
It's a year long celebration, probably so. The park, from all the photos I've seen, is looking really nice this year, too.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »
DH and I got to the park before opening on Friday.

Who's that?  Sort of confusing since those are my initials and it sure wasn't me.

I was thinking the same for myself.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2010, 03:12:28 PM »
Since they are keeping the 50th decorations up do you think they will limit the fall and Christmas decorations?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2010, 05:20:13 PM »
Probably not. the fall decorations are always nice, but it's the Christmas lights that everyone flocks to see. They will have plenty of decorations for both seasons, just wait and see.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »
SILVER DOLLAR CITY
50th ANNIVERSARY PARTY WEEKEND
Photo Trip Report

May 1st, 2010

FULL UPDATE:  the "TAKE TIME TO CELEBRATE" UPDATE

399th Army Band from Ft. Leonard Wood.

Wildfire

Echo Hollow - site of the Birthday Party

The Haygoods performing at the Birthday Party

Me in front of the Birthday Cake
SWOOSH

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 12:10:05 AM »
Swoosh - you should have poked the cake!