Author Topic: Your SDC 50th Anniversary Weekend Experiences  (Read 16457 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Your SDC 50th Anniversary Weekend Experiences
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:37:08 PM »
Well, it's here, my friends.  Silver Dollar City is officially 50 years old.  I thought I'd start a thread for us to share our experiences of this weekend.  Here's how Friday went for me...

I got there early, call time for Echo being at 8:30.  We started setting up for the Ozark Mountain Daredevil concert.  First, the riggers got started on the light rig and awning.  The City rented lighting for the concert and only used the in-house lighting to supplement.  Light trusses were bolted together and secured to genie lifts, then the top was stretched out across it.  When that got off the ground, the sound guys started bringing in their gear and setting it up.  Big stacks of speakers and subs.  And lots of cable.  The Daredevils arrived around 11 or 11:30 (didn't really keep track of time cause we were so busy) and their gear was brought in.  They then kinda relaxed while the sound guys tied their gear into the system.  Pizza was brought in for the crew and they grabbed bites to eat as time allowed.  By around this time the lighting guys were all cabled up and the rig/top was raised to trim height.  By about 12:30, the sound guys were ready for the Daredevils to come out and begin sound check.  While they were sound checking, the lighting crew was focusing light.  All went without a major hitch and by around 1:45 all systems were go, and ready for the house to be opened at 2:00.  We all got to relax then, until showtime.  Thankfully, the rain held off all through setup.

I would guess that Echo Hollow was about 75-80% full for the 3:00 show.  The show was wonderful, and went off without any technical hitches.  They performed most of their biggies, including "Jackie Blue" and "If You Want To Get To Heaven."  But as the concert went on, the skies were getting darker and darker.  Everyone was keeping track of the radar on their I-phones and such.  But the rain held off all through the show.  Then, as they came back out for an encore, our supervisor met them and told them they couldn't do one because rain was imminent.  So they made an announcement to that effect, and as they walked off stage, the skies opened up.  It was a deluge, complete with marble sized hail.  The crew rushed on stage to begin covering sensitive equipment, and we lowered the top to just above head height and put a slope on it so water would run off of it.  We had to watch it carefully though because water still collected on it in low areas, which we had to lift up from time to time to allow drainage.  The rain continued, sometimes hard, sometimes lighter, for almost an hour and a half before letting up.  It was during this time that the Daredevils went to dinner, and after the rain stopped, the crew was allowed to get some too.

The house opened at 6:00 for the 7:00 show.  One little shower came while people were filing in, but was short and light.  Lot's of VIP's came for this show, including Jack and Sherry, Pete and Jody, and their families, Joel Manby and his family, and others.  The theater was probably 80-85% full for this show.  The Daredevils did the same show, and it ended the same way as the first one.  But this time, they actually got into their encore before the rain came.  They finished up...everyone went home a little soggy, but happy.  I got to talk to Jack a bit after the show, and he said that, not being a Ozark Mountain Daredevils fan, he hadn't really expected to enjoy the show as much as he did.  But he said he really enjoyed it alot.  I had kept an eye on their whole bunch during the concert and it did seem that they were really getting into it.

It took about an hour after the show to get the Daredevils loaded out and everything buttoned down for the night.  All in all, a great day down at Echo Hollow.  Call time in the morning...7:15.  I've got some pictures but it will be a couple of days before I can get around to posting them.  I'll be pretty busy all weekend.  I love show business.  LOL

I have no idea how things went up on park today (Friday), so someone else is going to fill us in on that.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Your SDC 50th Anniversary Weekend Experiences
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 08:58:02 AM »
Thanks for the rundown. Sounds like a full day, and glad to hear the hot shots enjoyed the show. Can't wait to see the photos.  :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:17:44 PM »
Pictures of today's performances and the cake are up on the SDC facebook group.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:38:01 PM »
Great timing!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:46:03 PM »
Did someone say cake?  ;D

SWOOSH

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:45:23 PM »
It looks like the layers move in circles. Did they?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
It was not rotating when I saw it.  If it had been made by Charm City Cakes, I'm sure it would have been
SWOOSH

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »
That would have been an extra special touch. Was the cake tasty?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 01:05:47 PM »
IDK if that cake is even edible as I never saw it get sliced up. 
SWOOSH

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 01:37:53 PM »
I called Aunt June last night and she said that it was a fun day, but she hardly got any candy making done.  By the end of it, she mentioned that she might as well have set up a kissing booth in the candy basement from all the people coming by....LOL.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 02:16:01 PM »
Working for a cake company off and on that makes extreme cakes, I was very impressed by the size of the "cake" from the party, I don't know if it was totally edible though. Anything that size poses big risks for a small shop like us for weather/heat/ etc. It moved like a cake, when being wheeled out so you never know!

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 03:26:28 PM »
I'm sure it was edible. I don't see why it wouldn't be. Its covered in fondant which makes everything look inedible.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 04:35:29 PM »
Since it seemed to be a "show" cake and it was outside for an inordinate amount of time (it was rolled out at the end of the show and I later saw them rolling it up to the Reunion Hall at least two-ish hours later), I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually Styrofoam decorated with fondant, and then the actual cake was several sheet cakes cut up into pieces in the kitchen and served. It's a fairly common practice.

EDIT: And now I just realized Dustijn's picture has the cake sitting over by the entrance to the Hospitality House. Yeah, now I'm definitely sure that it likely wasn't actual cake.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:36:57 PM by tinaalsgirl »

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »
Just back from the party this weekend. Friday ran into the rain storm coming in from Springfield, could not see a thing in front of me and had to get off the road until it let up. Got to the opening ceremony on Saturday and meet SteamFreak. They started lining up for the Noon program immediately and ran from the candy store all the way to the Expo, knew I was going to get to see it forsure or it was going to come another down pour the way the sky was looking. My wife, daughter, and I went on around the park and checked out the RiverBattle, sorry I am not all that impressed by it and found half the boats were empty most of the day when I went by.  Love the improvement to FITH. Left my family and ventured back up to Echo Hollow at Noon and was able to get into the program after all.  The sun came out and I got burned. The program was good and was surprised with VIP and Entertainers who were there.  My family decided to good back to the motel and let me have the rest of the day in the park to myself where I could go to some of the shops and place they would not go to.  Ended the day riding Powderkeg as the fireworks were going off, now that seem poetic.  All In all, the rain stayed away, and I had a good time. Would have like to meet more of the members of this forum, I was wearing a neon yellow shirt with SDCFANS.COM on it if you did see me.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »
My perspective is from one, once again, stuck in Echo Hollow all day.  I didn't have a chance to go to the Employee Reunion, which saddens me to no end.  I would have liked to have seen old faces and had a chance to sign Jack and Pete's books.  Alas.

Set up for the Noon event began around 7am.  Lifting the top, drying off the stage, refocusing lights.  Setting up the sound gear again and then sound checking all the various entertainers.  We were on a tight schedule but it all went reasonably smooth.  The VIP's started arriving around 10:30 and milling around, chatting amiably.  Gov. Nixon got there accompanied by 3 or 4 security personnel, they were obvious.  The house was opened a 11:00 and the crowd began to swell. 

It started right on time, Jae McFerron came out and welcomed everyone and then the Haygoods kicked it off.  Stormy Warren, a GAC personality, came out and showed a video in which a large number of Country Western stars wished SDC a Happy Birthday.  Next came the "proclamations."  Congressman Blunt, Gov. Nixon, and Mayor Presley all said a few words.  Then Louise Mandrell came out for a song and a few words.  GM Brad Thomas was next; he introduced the Herschends and had them each say a few words.  Jack told a great anecdote about Sherry in the early days.  Joel Manby got up the say a few words, and then the Lennon Sisters sang a song.  Bucky Heard and the Blues Brothers capped off the entertainment before all the VIP's were gathered on stage for the presentation of the cake with the Sons of the Silver Dollar leading in the singing of Happy Birthday.  That's the Reader's Digest version...all in all, I don't think it could have been a more wonderful celebration.  Perfect in every way.

Then, as people milled around for quite a long time afterward, the crew began tearing down the gear...sound, lights, the top, all had to go so we could reset for the regular Echo Hollow show that evening.  That's why I couldn't make it up to the reunion.

A large crowd showed up for the 7pm show, responded with enthusiasm, and the fireworks went off during the singing of "Proud To Be An American."  A fitting end to one of the most fantastic days I've ever seen at SDC.

Tonight, the combined choirs of James River Assembly and the 2nd Baptist Church, both from Springfield, lead in a praise and worship service to give thanks to the Lord, who made this all possible.  It was wonderful, and moving.  Jack and Sherry, Pete and Jodie were there singing and praising as well.

I think I can truthfully say that this weekend was the highlight of my career at SDC.  I can't remember a better one.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"