Author Topic: Celebration City Developments  (Read 127421 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration City Developments
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 08:50:51 AM »
really tired of seeing Wildcat sitting quietly and using it a a turn refereance point. Build a new attraction around it and get it running again, we miss it badly.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2010, 07:00:20 AM »
agreed, with evrybody else ;D.

CC looks bad, no sign of any "civilization" there.  Grass, weeds, trees all are brown and have shed for the winter :'(

Maybe next year they will start on something ::)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
Have any additional rides or attractions been removed from CC lately? Anyone hear any rumors as to what will happen with the property over winter or in 2012?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »
When I went by there on Friday, it didn't look like anything else had been removed.

IASTClone

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »
There were semi trucks (one enclosed and one flat bed) in the back parking lot yesterday.  Looked like they were loading up the Flying Carpet ride. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »
Mmm, that's interesting. Thanks for the info. I miss that ride, it was one of my favorites at the park. I kind of hoped it could be fit into SDC in some innocuous way. I was thinking it could have be themed to steampunk gears or something and put in GE's mechanical wonders section.

Just another nail in the coffin...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2011, 11:10:24 PM »
Mmm, that's interesting. Thanks for the info. I miss that ride, it was one of my favorites at the park. I kind of hoped it could be fit into SDC in some innocuous way. I was thinking it could have be themed to steampunk gears or something and put in GE's mechanical wonders section.

ala DaVinci's Cradle at Busch Gardens Europe?
SWOOSH

CJR

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
I don't remember seeing it for sale (unless you're talking about the kiddie ride) so perhaps it's staying with the company and moving to either Dollywood or Wild Adventures (which seems to be the popular choice).

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Could theme it to Wilson's Farm - a rug-beating type thing with rusty parts instead of steampunk.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »
Any new developments at the CC site? Is there going to be something put in place of CC or is it going to remain vacant? Surely Herschend will do something with the OzCat!
Colorado SDC Fan

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2011, 11:31:19 AM »
Nope. We'll definitely pass along any info we get, but don't expect to hear anything for a good long while. HFEC really seems to be taking their time taking the park apart and selling it bit by bit.

I think they're trying to hold out for the market to turn around so they can bring some investors on board to do something new with the property such as an aquarium or mixed development. However, don't expect to see OzCat or any of the other rides run again on that site. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like they've stopped maintaining OzCat to the level where it can be turned on and run again at any time. And no, there's no chance they're going to move it to SDC or any other park.

The list of rides they're trying to get rid of has definitely gotten shorter though:
http://rides4u.com/index.php/rides/results/cat/53

A lot of the kiddie rides were either sold recently or just taken off the marktet.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 10:12:36 AM »
with the stress for the kids..  (HDH).  maybe they will take the kiddy rides out and expand the GE. in 2012

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011, 11:46:38 AM »
So if there is no chance as you say that they will move Ozcat why not just get it over with and tear it down?  It seems to me that having a deteriorating structure that size on a property you own is a big liability.

As far as an aquarium goes, there are definitely investors out there who have the cash to get involved and run just an operation.  It was announced yesterday the the owners of Crown Center in Kansas City has gone into partnership with Sea Life to run an aquarium in the destination shopping center.  And the kicker is that NO public money will be used to build the attraction.  Also a larger aquarium is being built in Mission, Kansas with a price tag of over $50 million.  There is definitely investor interest in this type of operation.  I dont think that HFEC is actively looking into this idea.  With the rep they have for quality attractions it seems to me that there is money out there given they developments taking place in the Kansas metro area.  Of course given the proximity of Kansas City and St. Louis to Branson, maybe they missed the boat.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »
i had not heard about the mission kansas project..

dont forget they are also expanding the natural museum in springfield..it is a 2 year +  addition.!

http://www.wondersofwildlife.org/

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 06:17:56 PM »
Slow down.... the coaster is not deteriorating, CC has a full time staff that is there acting as caretakers.  They may not be a huge team, but there are enough people keeping the rides and buildings up.  They also still use the buildings for different things including meetings; I have been to several meetings there.  The rumor mill says that CC will most likely be transformed into a destination shopping and attractions center, including Ozark Wildcat, and an aquarium.  Again, these are rumors that have been going around.